Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

techtv and apple bias

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    miamijjs

Thank god that "leo" guy is gone from techtv. His constant mac plugs were driving me nuts.

I like techtv but the mac fanboys piss me off.

• User profile image
    Ich

What's wrong with Apple?  They deliver great albeit expensive hardware and software with wonderful and intuitive design, as well as innovative ideas.  You'd have to be crazy not to want one.  My excuse for not having a Mac is I'm too poor.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Did he quit or what? That guy annoyed the hell out of me.

• User profile image
    RedWolves2
  • User profile image
    miamijjs

We have both. My wife bought a apple about two years ago because "she thought it looked cute".

Of course she paid about twice what the hardware is worth, and for awhile the family liked it.

But as time wore on the lack of easy hardware upgrades, ease of finding software compared to pcs, finding current games in street dates, and over all lack of compatability our family quickly stopped using it.

The over all speed of the mac is slow and again this unit is less than 2 years old and way over priced.

My problem with Leo is I like to watch Techtv for the great information not a QVC MAC sales pitch. Leo is "out of control" about plugging macs and SLAMMING WINDOWS.

I'm happy he is gone.

• User profile image
    vanlandw

I would take a powerbook over any other laptop on the market....my two cents Tongue Out

but some of the mac zealots I work with can sometimes preach a little to hard for my liking...but I'm sure to them the MS zealots bug the crap out of them as well...it's a never ending battle Smiley

• User profile image
    BanjoFrog

Yes yes yes! Leo's blind allegiance to Mac and Linux really hurts his credibility IMHO. It's irresponsible to be herding the masses to those OS'es without at least mentioning their own security and stability problems.

• User profile image
    miamijjs

Hell I  would Be happy if Leo would praise Linux or Atari 800's or colecovision Adam computers of whatever but his constant - shameless Apple glorifying praise is too much.

I feel like he trying too hard and it makes him look unprofessional.

• User profile image
    bart64

Did any of you ever watch his shows? Seems like some unfair criticism. Although he favored Macs he also said good things about Linux and Windows. He also provided great Windows tips on Call for Help. I’m sure there is no "blind allegiance" to any operating systems on this site:)

• User profile image
    billy

What is techtv? The mac fanboys piss me off too. So do the linux fanboys... and the MS fanboys... everyone pissed me off. It's a freakin machine! Use it or don't use it. But really, it's human nature to pick your pony and talk down the rest. I can understand your issue with someone taking their pony show onto (whatever techtv is, sorry, I never watch tv). I personally prefer my Powermac to my windows box, or either of my linux boxen though. I only turn them on when I feel like dicking with the things. My Mac is just on. It just works (as the marketing crap alledges). In terms of price to performance, I have had no problems when playing Unreal, and other than graphically intense things, 2 gigs of processing power is more than enough (although I think I will shell out for a G5). The price is... well... it's like this. My Mac costs only a few hundred dollars more than a comparable PC (dual 1G G4, 1G Ram, dual video, DVD-R/CD-RW, etc), but I honestly haven't spent 30 minutes trouble-shooting things in the year and a half I've owned it, and used it daily. By comparison, between my son's XP Home box, and my wife's XP Pro box, I can't go a week without having to fix / reinstall something. Not to mention the lack of processing power they give up the the anti-virus software (I agree, MS is targeted more, and MacOSX is comparably succeptible). But hey... the real reason I switched to Mac was MS business practice's... the decrease in frustration was a *HUGE* benefit that I did not anticipate. Ok, I've gone way off topic now, and seem to have put on one of those fanboy hats.... L8!

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Ich wrote:
    What's wrong with Apple?  They deliver great albeit expensive hardware and software with wonderful and intuitive design, as well as innovative ideas.  You'd have to be crazy not to want one.  My excuse for not having a Mac is I'm too poor.

I agree with the hardware comment you made however Apple hasn't innovated if their design for years. Until a revision of Mac OS X that borrowed an inductive interface idea from Windows XP, their design was entirely document centric. Before that their only change to Macintosh's graphics user interface for years was it how it looks, not how the user utilizes it.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I liked Leo. Sure, I rolled my eyes a lot at his sideways barbs at MS, but I liked him. He was part and parcel of The Screen Savers, and I enjoyed the show partly because of him.

Sadly, my TechTV subscription lagged so I can't watch anymore anyways, but his Mac stuff never bothered me. In fact, I loved seeing what Apple was up to. Some of the ideas were fantastic (iSight is amazing, and I saw it on TSS first).

• User profile image
    darklotus

Just because he preferred a mac to a pc he is such a bad guy?

• User profile image
    mp3mooch

miamijjs wrote:

My problem with Leo is I like to watch Techtv for the great information not a QVC MAC sales pitch. Leo is "out of control" about plugging macs and SLAMMING WINDOWS.

I'm happy he is gone.

Buy the way it's Mac, not MAC....a MAC is the address of a NIC card.

In Leo's defense(not that he needs me to defend him), he never bashed windows as a workable OS, he bashed all the security issues with it, and it's instablilty. Windows isn't the most stable or secure OS, and it's not bashing when you publicly say what everyone knows.

You really shouldn't make accusations that aren't true, & maybe you should actually watch the channel more then once before you make accusations of Leo slamming windows.

• User profile image
    miamijjs

as far as a person goes I'm sure hes ok. As for as being a professional and doing his job as a inpartical host of a computer show thats not ment to be a ANTI-Microsoft hour leo sucks.

Leo needs to report in a fair way.

• User profile image
    Pseudo

Bah, if I were on TechTV I'd be plugging the crap out of all the stuff I love.  You cant blame the guy.  I think overall TechTV does a good job of showing off windows, linux, and mac software without overwelming bias.  If you dont like it, you can always change the channel!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Funny story: my son goes to school with Leo Laporte's son. I have lunch with Leo occassionally. I should look him up now that he's out of work.

I almost went to work for TechTV (I helped moderate Leo's chatroom when he worked for KGO Radio -- 810 AM San Francisco). Glad I didn't overall. But Leo had a sweet deal there for a long time.

• User profile image
    billy

Well, though I don't watch the show, I have a feeling Leo's job is more to attract and keep viewers that to be impartial... or does Microsoft own TechTv too?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.