Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

techtv and apple bias

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • scobleizer

Close: Paul Allen (Microsoft co-founder) owned it, but sold it recently.

Leo's actually amazing. He knows all of the OS's inside and out. I liked him a lot more when he was on the radio. People would call in with all these bizarre questions and he'd know the answer.

• miseldine

This is a little off topic, but we have very, very few computer TV programmes here in the UK. We once had "dot TV" which was a satellite channel but that closed down years ago. Now we're left with a few computer game shows, and Click Online from the BBC...

What's the situation like in America? It's always surprised me that whereas newsagents are full of computer magazines, TV isn't full of computer shows. Maybe we're just backward on this one...

• Jeremy W

Yeah, the UK definitely has a crazy number of PC magazines. It blew my mind. I'm sure I spent more on mags than on beer when I was there in 99 Wink

• submariner

"My problem with Leo is I like to watch Techtv for the great information not a QVC MAC sales pitch. Leo is "out of control" about plugging macs and SLAMMING WINDOWS."..................................................How is this different than say, Paul Thurott's website, or any other website extolling the virtues of Microsoft Windows-equipped PC's and constantly telling consumers that the Macintosh is too pricey and not as good as a Windows-based PC. I use a Mac primarily to get things done. I also build PCs for a hobby. Both computers have their stong points. A Windows-based PC is, for the most part, universally accepted. A Macintosh is secure. A Macintosh requires an administrator's password EVERY TIME you try to install a program that will run at system level (Mac OS X). Windows, by default, does not require an administrator password to install programs, making it easy for inexperienced users to accidentally install malicious software without their knowledge. That's just one example. Another reason why I prefer the Macintosh, is that Apple makes applications that are ridiculously easy and intuitive to use without making it childlike. iTunes is an example of this. to date, even hard-core Windows friends of mine are instantly wowed by the sheer elegange and simplicity in the way iTunes can rip, organize, and burn CDs and digital music, as well as with the included option of the iTunes Music Store. Also look at iMovie. I can take any MPEG, AVI, or DV file or input and edit the video, add music, titles, whatever and seamlessly send it to iDVD to put on a DVD, to my .Mac homepage as a streaming QuickTime file, send it back to a DV Camcorder, or any other multitude of options. No offense to the Microsoft people here, but Windows Movie Maker doesn't even come close, though I'm sure it's improved since it's release in WindowsMe. ....................................... Concluding, I understand that you're tired of ac Zealots, but the knife does cut both ways...to use a term. ...................................... Don't hate a platform, embrace it for what it is and what it can do for you.

• miamijjs

I watch them all the time, Hell I have been a caller and talk to Leo several times but his apple plugs have just gooten to be too much in the last year.

His window tips have trickeled down to "yegh you could do it on PC ... BUT WAIT Lets talk about a better mac way".

Leo has said "I HATE WINDOWS" several times.... not too professional

• miamijjs

For those who have never seen techtv its on Directv #354

• Gambit

miamijjs wrote:
    I watch them all the time, Hell I have been a caller and talk to Leo several times but his apple plugs have just gooten to be too much in the last year.

His window tips have trickeled down to "yegh you could do it on PC ... BUT WAIT Lets talk about a better mac way".

Leo has said "I HATE WINDOWS" several times.... not too professional

You're slamming him over a personal opinion? He doesn't like Windows; big deal! He has a right to those opinions and TechTV gave him an outlet to voice them. If they had an issue with him talking about Macs so often I'm sure they would have told him and he would have stopped.

• miamijjs

OK let me make this one real clear....

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Some like PC and Some Like Mac and thats healthy and good. If someone is in Compusa looking at macs a customer has the right to tell the other customer they like the macs or not..** AGAIN...FREE SPEECH IS GOOD! 

** however **

Someone who is being paid to be a fair and impartial reporter on a computer show should be fair and unbiased. This means not to slam all products he personally doesn't like and over glorify products he does.

This is not the "LEO personal opinion show" - He WAS paid to be the host of a show called "CALL FOR HELP".

One day a kid called in who clearly stated he wanted a "gaming PC" and wanted advice on what PC to purchase. Leo came back with "BUY A MAC AND X-BOX" the call held his ground saying he wanted to buy a PC  and Leo said he "hated PCs and would still buy the x-box". The caller said he didn't want to do console gaming and wanted to play multi player on line PC games and Leo continued to act like a QVC sales man pushing apple.

Leo has made comments like "apple users are the Shepperds and Windows users are the sheep" and "I HATE WINDOWS". All of this is not too professional for a computer show that should cater to ALL computer users and not just "slam windows and over glorify apple" - Leos personal agenda.

I use PC, Linux and apple and they all have some good points but MY POINT is Leo needs to act like a host and not a MAC salesman.

If you see Leo in the supermarket and he says apples great thats fine but don't "STOP the show" to pull out the ibook while answering a windows question.

LEO is a good speaker but really needs to stay on a ALL MAC SHOW... We all know thats where his heart is.

• Gambit

miamijjs wrote:
    OK let me make this one real clear....

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Some like PC and Some Like Mac and thats healthy and good. If someone is in Compusa looking at macs a customer has the right to tell the other customer they like the macs or not..** AGAIN...FREE SPEECH IS GOOD! 

** however **

Someone who is being paid to be a fair and impartial reporter on a computer show should be fair and unbiased. This means not to slam all products he personally doesn't like and over glorify products he does.

That's just it; Leo wasn't a reporter, he was a call-in show host. Big difference between the two.

This is not the "LEO personal opinion show" - He WAS paid to be the host of a show called "CALL FOR HELP".

One day a kid called in who clearly stated he wanted a "gaming PC" and wanted advice on what PC to purchase. Leo came back with "BUY A MAC AND X-BOX" the call held his ground saying he wanted to buy a PC  and Leo said he "hated PCs and would still buy the x-box". The caller said he didn't want to do console gaming and wanted to play multi player on line PC games and Leo continued to act like a QVC sales man pushing apple.

Leo has made comments like "apple users are the Shepperds and Windows users are the sheep" and "I HATE WINDOWS". All of this is not too professional for a computer show that should cater to ALL computer users and not just "slam windows and over glorify apple" - Leos personal agenda.

I use PC, Linux and apple and they all have some good points but MY POINT is Leo needs to act like a host and not a MAC salesman.

If you see Leo in the supermarket and he says apples great thats fine but don't "STOP the show" to pull out the ibook while answering a windows question.

LEO is a good speaker but really needs to stay on a ALL MAC SHOW... We all know thats where his heart is.

That was all Leo's opinion. In the example above someone called into Leo's show and asked for his opinion. He didn't ask Leo to give him the latest reviews on products; he called in asking for Leo's advice. That kid asked for an opinion and got it.

Yes I've listened to Leo say Windows users are sheep, but you're really a sheep if you listen to that and believe it as 100% truth. That's Leo's opinion....not yours.

• miamijjs

Gambit, 

you must be a Macfanboy.

You said "That kid asked for an opinion and got it."

He ask Leo what PC would be a good gaming PC not would it be better to buy a console.

Leo refused to suggest any gaming PC as macs make poor choices for gamers and he was not in the mood to suggest anything PC.. He wanted the kid to buy a mac even though it was not what he wanted.

The kid never said should I buy a mac, He said repeatably I want to buy a gaming PC and Leo was unprofessional and kept going on with mac plugs.

you said: "That was all Leo's opinion. In the example above someone called into Leo's show"

NO they called in to CALL FOR HELP a show LEO works for. ITS NOT THE LEO OPINION HOUR... again he asked for what PC to buy not is mac better for gaming etc.

*** THE BOTTOM LINE ***

Leo is paid to work on and be the speaking voice of call for help. He is paid to answer questions in a fair and non biased way.

LEO IS NOT :

1. Paid to to and Sell a apple a day.
    2. Paid to answer Windows callers with mac answers
    3. Paid to be BIAS and slam windows and over glorify apple.

AND now due to LEOS POOR PERFORMANCE they didn't want to work with him on his contract and the let him go.

LEO IS GONE FROM TECHTV and TECHTV will be better off for it.

PS. In other words if Techtv management didn't agree with me LEO would still be employed at Techtv.

• submariner

[quote=miamijjs]He ask Leo what PC would be a good gaming PC not would it be better to buy a console. Leo refused to suggest any gaming PC as macs make poor choices for gamers and he was not in the mood to suggest anything PC.. He wanted the kid to buy a mac even though it was not what he wanted. [/quote] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Now, in your quote, The kid did not ask for a Windows Based Computer, did he? And why are you automatically assuming that a Macintosh is a poor choice for gamers? That seems to be your opinion there and a true, unbiased answer is "Go with a computer based on the games you want to play, and your other needs". Did the kid want access to 1,000 variations of Solitaire? Probably not. Did he want to play Neverwinter Nights? Command & Conquer Generals? Possibly. What's to say the Macintosh cannot play these games as well or if not better than the Windows counterparts. Do you have a hardware lab that has every possible configuration of computer out there? I highly doubt it. If you did, I'm sure we'd know about it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [quote=miamijjs]Leo is paid to work on and be the speaking voice of call for help. He is paid to answer questions in a fair and non biased way. LEO IS NOT : 1. Paid to to and Sell a apple a day. 2. Paid to answer Windows callers with mac answers 3. Paid to be BIAS and slam windows and over glorify apple. AND now due to LEOS POOR PERFORMANCE they didn't want to work with him on his contract and the let him go. LEO IS GONE FROM TECHTV and TECHTV will be better off for it. PS. In other words if Techtv management didn't agree with me LEO would still be employed at Techtv. [/quote] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Wow. you really need to check your facts. First off, Do you have a copy of Leo's contract with TechTV that states he MUST be unbiased? Second, Are you sure that he is not compensated for plugging Apple Products? Many personalities are compensated in some form or another for plugging various products. You may not even realize it. Ever listen to a radio show and hear "Yeah, I just picked this up off of AOL..." Guess what? they're paid to plug AOL. you said: "AND now due to LEOS POOR PERFORMANCE they didn't want to work with him on his contract and the let him go. LEO IS GONE FROM TECHTV and TECHTV will be better off for it. PS. In other words if Techtv management didn't agree with me LEO would still be employed at Techtv. " Now, listen to yourself. Leo WAS NOT released from TechTV based on his opinions on computers. Leo was allowed to resign (and he resigned ON HIS OWN WILL) because (quoted from Leo's Weblog http://leo.typepad.com/tlr/2004/04/end_of_line.html ) "...at the last minute TechTV's outgoing owner, Vulcan Ventures, insisted that I sign away all claims against them regarding shares they had given me some years ago. I was unwilling to do so, and they held my job as hostage." TechTV will most likely NOT be better off without Leo (for one, TechTV is going to cease to exist, when Comcast merges it into G4). And NO, wether or not TechTV agreed with Leo's viewpoints, the situation of his resignation would have still existed. It was Leo's choice. When you realize his opinions did not matter in the long run, you might see that (forgive the irony of the following statement) The world does not solely revolve around Microsoft Windows. Windows is a powerful contender in a highly competitive market. Without competition, Microsoft would not be the powerhouse it is today. Without evil, there is no basis on how to judge good. When you can support your claims with concrete evidence, I'll await your reply. This forum provides my email adress, and I'd rather not continue it here, so I make a suggestion to take this off the message boards here at Channel 9.

• miamijjs

"And why are you automatically assuming that a Macintosh is a poor choice for gamers? That seems to be your opinion there and a true"

Leo said not to buy a mac for gaming but buy a xbox for games and a mac for everything else... however the caller continued to request information on a gaming PC not a mac. Leo refused to give him more than mac sales information.

"First off, Do you have a copy of Leo's contract with TechTV that states he MUST be unbiased?"

Do you have one that says he should be... No need for you to be a idiot.

"Leo was allowed to resign (and he resigned ON HIS OWN WILL) because (quoted from Leo's Weblog"

They had Leo step down from The Screen Savers as host one week before this happened, then pulled the rug out from below his feet and not want to renew his contract.

If they loved his MAC SALES PITCHES they would of wanted to keep him on both shows and work out any contract problems. THEY HAD NO INTEREST in working with him or they would of found a way of keeping him.

His choice was to give up stock options or not get a new contract. He didn't want to give up the options and so they say bye bye.... this has nothing to do with them cutting him down to one show a week earlier.

Leo is gone and its better for the viewers.

• miamijjs

Tell him Hi from Miamijjs.... He will know me!

• Gambit

miamijjs wrote:
    Gambit, 

you must be a Macfanboy.

You said "That kid asked for an opinion and got it."

He ask Leo what PC would be a good gaming PC not would it be better to buy a console.

Leo refused to suggest any gaming PC as macs make poor choices for gamers and he was not in the mood to suggest anything PC.. He wanted the kid to buy a mac even though it was not what he wanted.

The kid never said should I buy a mac, He said repeatably I want to buy a gaming PC and Leo was unprofessional and kept going on with mac plugs.

you said: "That was all Leo's opinion. In the example above someone called into Leo's show"

NO they called in to CALL FOR HELP a show LEO works for. ITS NOT THE LEO OPINION HOUR... again he asked for what PC to buy not is mac better for gaming etc.

*** THE BOTTOM LINE ***

Leo is paid to work on and be the speaking voice of call for help. He is paid to answer questions in a fair and non biased way.

LEO IS NOT :

1. Paid to to and Sell a apple a day.
    2. Paid to answer Windows callers with mac answers
    3. Paid to be BIAS and slam windows and over glorify apple.

AND now due to LEOS POOR PERFORMANCE they didn't want to work with him on his contract and the let him go.

LEO IS GONE FROM TECHTV and TECHTV will be better off for it.

PS. In other words if Techtv management didn't agree with me LEO would still be employed at Techtv.

So I'm a "macfanboy" because I'm not bashing Leo for having an opinion? Gee that's very original.

Leo was paid to provide help and answers to tech questions. His opinions aren't supposed to be unbiased. If he runs something and doesn't like it I'm sure most people would rather hear it from him.

And Call For Help was the "Leo opinion hour" if you called in and asked for his advice on something. How is he supposed to help someone without giving an opinion. "Yes that Celeron 800 with 96mb of ram is a good gaming machine."

BTW, if Leo slammed Windows everyday why did he use it on both shows? Just think about that.

• Gambit

BTW,

To whichever one of you sent me the wonderful little email this morning calling me a "macfanboy" which also had a virus attatched to it...thanks, but I read my email in plain text and my ISP caught that virus anyway. Nice try though. Almost had me

• submariner

miamijjs wrote:
    Do you have one that says he should be... No need for you to be a idiot ... (truncated) ... Leo is gone and its better for the viewers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- All I see here is somebody who seems to think the world revolves around their ideas and when they are faced with facts contradicting their statements, the resort to childish name-calling. Once again I ask you to take this off the list. I iinvite you to email me privately, so we can discuss this as adults. apparently the email icon under my avatar is a little hard for you to grasp, so I will be gracious enough to give you my email here: submarinerct@comcast.net . If you can bring yourself to a professional level and discuss the facts, not wildly skewed opinions, I welcome your reply. Also, try to have some respect for persons who go out and risk their lives so you can have the freedom to call people idiots or macfanboys (a really childish name if I've ever heard one). And in closing, No, I do not have a copy of Leo LaPorte's contract, however I don't think a person of his caliber would violate a contract if it did state he must be unbiased. It's a call-in show, not the 5pm News. Howard Stern isn't required nor expected to be unbiased, and neither was Leo LaPorte.

• miamijjs

Leo is not Howard stern. Howard Stern has a talk radio show..They talk about all sorts of subjects. Leo is not paid to talk about all sorts of subject matter.

If you must put this in radio terns (Your Howard Stern example) Leo is more like a DJ on a POP station. Leo would be paid to play top 40 music in a percentage of mostly Pop (like windows 95% market share), R&B (like Linux 3.4% market share) and Country (Like macs current 1.6% market share - as reported in "e-week and other publications".

Now most listers on "pop" stations tune in for "pop" music (not all that different than how people tune into "call" for help to listen to calls and make calls).

Now Leo is like a DJ who is a skilled man on the Mic but the problem is Leo is like a Country DJ working on the pop station. It's not like hes a bad DJ but he likes Country music and in his heart its all he wants to promote.

Then he goes out of the way to talk about country stars and play country music all the time, despite the POP market share being 95%. This is quite similar to how Leo likes to talk about mac all the time.

A Little country music on the pop station is OK. Its true upon occasion a country song makes it to the pop charts but you can bet that if the pop DJ would start playing country like Leo talks about apple the program director would have him off the air.

Howard stern is a "SHOCK JOCK" LEO is a HOST.

A better example would be comparing Leo to a Food Network cooking show host. A host on a cooking show show that is supposed to cook a variety of meals that appeal to 95% of the population (viewers) 95% of the time.

Now in my example Leo is like a vegetation (mac user), a vegetation who pushes his beliefs of being a vegetarian all the time. Putting down meat eaters (windows users) and over glorifying being a vegetarian. Going out of his way to push his minority beliefs on others.

Bottom line - LEO IS GONE AND I'M HAPPY. Let Leo host a mac only show.

• submariner

Would you care to share the exact location you gathered the information you used in your statement where you say Microsoft Windows has 95% market share, Linux has 3.4%, and the Mac OS has a 1.6% market share? --- Take this for example, from an unbiased source: http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1122 "I've concluded that any proclamations about "market share must be taken with a grain of salt. Until a reputable research company can provide figures that measure the computer industry with install base dynamics, everything else is meaningless. I would go so far as to actually question the intentions of any reporter that holds up the market share statistic as a barometer that gauges the ratio of various operating system users. Any reporter worth his salt knows better than that." -------------------------------------------------- I urge you to read the story. So, please stop your ranting. you've made it clear you hate Leo LaPorte. How about making a contribution to this message board that relates to Microsoft development instead of turning this into your own hate board, since it's obvious nobody reads your own boards. Perhaps you should limit your personal attacks to there.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.