Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IM'ing at Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shawn

So are you guys at Microsoft allowed to run Messenger (or any IM client) at the office?

It's a strict no-no here for *security* reasons.

Just curious what's up with you guys in Redmond.

BTW, I've installed the ASP.net WebMatrix tool and really liked the built in support for Messenger.  I know we're not allowed to use it here but I thought it was a nice touch.  (The price was really attractive, too.)

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

My understanding is that it's one of the main communication mediums.

My question (I was about to ask an IM question) is what are the Etiquette items at MS for IM?

• User profile image
    Charles

We use IM around here all the time. It's a great way to communicate in real time with colleagues around the company no matter where they happen to be located. As for IM etiquette, it's no different than email etiquette: be respectful. There's probably some other basic principles to follow, but I'd argue that they all derive from Respect.

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    OSUKid7

Neat. Do you use Messenger through the Exchange thing? or how does that work?

• User profile image
    rampage

I prefer IMs over phone calls and e-mails for people who need things from me "yesterday."

Unfourtunately, not enough people in my organization feel this way. Sad

• User profile image
    dpen2000

The evil thing about msn(nobody over here talks about messenger or im's - in uk schools) is that you have endless innane conversations when homework should get done. Surely u get distracted by msn being open all the time? also how many contacts do you have on msn?

DP

• User profile image
    Manip

Speak for yourself... when I was in school we would sit there and that is exactly what we would discuss.. we even build an IM client in VBA.

• User profile image
    MattW

We use IM all the time here. My team is scattered all over the country. I work near Redmond but my closest colleague is in Sacramento. The entire team is on IM  because its just more convenient than an email for a quick question. It also gives us a channel to talk while we are already on a concall. For instance, if one person starts going down a tangent that we feel is the wrong way to go, we can try to guide them back to the real topic via IM.

I understand some of the security concerns. Most of the IM variants out there will not encrypt communications, ensuring that anyone can see listen in to the conversation. The IM solution we use does encrypt those messages, among other cool features....

• User profile image
    Manip

The big question... MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger?  

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Probably Windows Messenger because it ties in really nicely to Exchange and AD.

• User profile image
    Shawn

Glad to hear that Microsoft has an enlightened view of IM'ing.

The funny thing is that Windows Messenger is the best client out right now, IMO anyway. The MSN client just has too much going on - I like the simpler (is that a word?) interface of the Windows client.

Unfortunately, everyone I know uses AIM. Sad

• User profile image
    SKG

IM is the most recent "killer app" IMO. I love using IM here at work, it allows me to ask someone a quick question without having to actually go and randomize then in person! It eliminates some other windows features/methods like having to send email attachements or post something to a file share, or even use the whiteboard feature for very easy brain storming (NETmeeting RIP!!).
    I know you all at c9 are shooting for realtime, and this may sound ancient, but how about a chat room?

• User profile image
    spod

Manip wrote:

I use both. The windows one i use for talking internally as it's tied in to our security infrastructure etc...the msn one i use for external contacts

• User profile image
    johnporcaro

Manip wrote:

My Opinion (what do I know?)

I use (and evangelize) the use of both.  Not many people in my world (marketing) use Windows Messenger, but I see a lot of MSN Messenger. 

By running both, I get to keep my personal contacts personal, and I can appear "busy" to them, but not to work contacts (or on the weekend, vice versa). 

All of our Office 2003 (SharePoint, etc.) presence data relies on Windows Messenger, so nearly every SharePoint site I visit shows people as not logged in, because they haven't loaded Windows Messenger.  But I'm guessing 80% of co-workers are using IM, just the MSN flavor.

You brought up ettiquette.  I've never seen anything published formally, but I wrote a bit about it in a blog entry a while ago.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I'm an idiot Wink

I ask the question, only to find out that I was your first Trackback on that post.

Fun fun.

• User profile image
    Shawn

Wow.. I didn't realize that you couldn't personalize the "away" messages with Windows Messenger.  That's a huge weakness and will need to be fixed with later releases if I'm ever going to be able to convince my friends to migrate over to that platform.  Hopefully this is just a client problem and not a limitation within the protocol (as the former should be much easier to fix).

We often "profile" each other just to see who's doing what in their away messages.  Knowing that they just went to see a blockbluster movie if a cause enough for a later conversation.

While I'm asking for things, can you add the ability to customize your profile as well if it's not already included with the latest release?  I've got some friends that pratically have thier own "AIM Profile Blog" going even though they have no idea what a blog is.

• User profile image
    ckindel

Shawn wrote:
    So are you guys at Microsoft allowed to run Messenger (or any IM client) at the office?

Heck yea! I primarily use it when in meetings. With our campus wide, rock-solid, wireless LAN our culture has changed such that its standard practice for just about everyone in a meeting to have their laptop or tablet out (of course in certain meetings its clearly bad form).

Just today I was in a meeting where someone was describing something. My role in the meeting was one of an "informed"; that is it wouldn't have been approriate for me to comment out loud. However, my boss was there and it was his role. I wanted to make sure he understood a nuance in what the speaker had said so he could ask a question that would have helped clarify what the speaker said. So I IM'd him...

By the way, this "laptop activity in meetings" thing has caused me to see two types of people at Microsoft. Those who can effectively multi-task in meetings, and those who can't. I'm just OK at it. I have to be very careful not to get too engrossed in what I'm reading or writing during a discussion because my audible processing is diminished signficantly. However there are others who are absolutely amazing in their ability to be heads-down whacking away at the keyboard and then join a discussion mid-stream as though they were paying attention 100% the whole time.

I conciously am working on getting better at this and I have improved. So, to me, it is something that can be learned.

Oh, those who can't do this at all, learn real fast to simply not fire up their laptops. They get roasted.

-cek

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.