Coffeehouse Thread

99 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

When is Europe going to build an OS?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft lost a major appeal today in a European court, which ruled that the world's largest software company must comply with sanctions imposed by regulators and strip features from its Windows product.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Finland is in the EU. Linus is from Finland. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

What an incendiary title Sad

Microsoft Watch wrote:

, the Redmond software giant said it will deliver to European OEMs starting in January a Windows-Media-Player-free version of Windows. Microsoft also will publish communications protocols, including some heretofore-unpublished Windows Server ones, as part of the judge's order.

What's the big deal, if people want it they'll download it - if they don't they'll use something else.  Apart from the fine I can't see Microsoft losing much money over this.,

• User profile image
    eagle

Tensor wrote:

<EXPLITIVE> Brit </EXPLITIVE>

Every Linux user should pray three times a day in the direction of Murray Hill New Jersey.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

So if it is shipped stripped down how will the user be accessing the web to download things. Who will decide what extras get shipped with the OS?

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:
    Tensor wrote:

Every Linux user should pray three times a day in the direction of Murray Hill New Jersey.

Psst, that's expletive Smiley

The whole Linux is Unix this is funny Smiley  Everyone tries to pretend its not, but Apple is *desperate* to make sure that everyone knows that it IS (based on) Unix.

harumscarum wrote:

So if it is shipped stripped down how will the user be accessing the web to download things. Who will decide what extras get shipped with the OS?

With IE I should think, I was under the impression it was only WMP that was being removed - and you have Real to thank for that (as if you need another excuse not to use their stuff).

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Yikes I can't imagine anyone willingly using real.

• User profile image
    eagle

A European OS?

How about those slackers in Silicon Valley why haven’t they produced an OS that I might consider using? I asked Dan Appleman this question at DevConnections and he answered “why should we”? I told him my biggest fear is that a Sony or Samsung will produce an OS for a device selling for $299 that we will be locked-out of, no software developers needed. He replied “that’s a good idea, it’s called the PS2”, then he went on to talk of his admiration for the Governator and California’s involvement in stem-cell research.

I played football in High School and Collage, so I understand Microsoft’s RA RA mentality, the goal is to be number 1, to win it all! Nobody is suing the Yankees; the Red Sox's had a better idea.

All the money spent on Lawsuits to stop Microsoft from being number one should have been invested in a Software company with a better idea. Better ideas would have made Microsoft compete even harder and all computer users would have been the beneficiaries.

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:
    How about those slackers in Silicon Valley why haven’t they produced an OS that I might consider using?

Which slackers are we talking about Paul?   Why wouldn't you consider using OSX or Linux?

• User profile image
    wkempf

Ya know... if I were in charge at MS, I'd say screw 'em all.  All of the court cases about them being a big bad monopoly, bundling software with the OS being anti-competetive... well, just turn it around on 'em.

Strip the OS down to the bone.  Remove everything that could be considered an application, right down to notepad.  Sell every single one of these seperately.  In addition, bundle every single one into one or more suites.  Reprice everything correctly, and not only will you have the vast majority of people buying and running the exact same software, they'll be paying you slightly more than they are today.  No one can cry fowl then, but the situation will be the same, with the vast majority of users running MS products despite there being alternatives available.

The IE issue was a tad different, since the point was supposed to be that the rendering engine was available as part of the OS, for use by other applications.  But even this could be dealt with in a manner where the user could choose to replace the engine with some other engine, provided it implemented the same interfaces.  Then you'd still be back to no reason anyone could complain, yet MS dominating the market and making more money because idiots wanted them to split things up in this manner.

• User profile image
    eagle

Rossj wrote:
     Why wouldn't you consider using OSX or Linux?
    They are both build around an OS that is long past it's sell by date.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    eagle wrote:
    Tensor wrote:

Psst, that's expletive Smiley

The whole Linux is Unix this is funny Smiley  Everyone tries to pretend its not, but Apple is *desperate* to make sure that everyone knows that it IS (based on) Unix.

harumscarum wrote:

With IE I should think, I was under the impression it was only WMP that was being removed - and you have Real to thank for that (as if you need another excuse not to use their stuff).

I don't like Real. I really don't like that player. It's big, it's full of ads and slow.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Lets be honest, the EU is growing, only last week Turkey has entered into discussions in joining.

Any multi-national company that does not cater for it's inclusion (and therefore compliance) into the EU could be missing out on what will be the largest market in the world which I believe will only be a matter of time. Frankly, no company will be that silly.

If Britain finally joins the Euro I believe the stage will be set for the Euro to become the worlds dominant currency and the dollar will fall into decline, I doubt that any serious economist will disagree.

On a personal note, Eagle my advice to you is, if you want to be number one, you’re in the wrong part of the world. I have a spare room … under the stairs. J

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:
    Rossj wrote:
     Why wouldn't you consider using OSX or Linux?
    They are both build around an OS that is long past it's sell by date.

How many kernels do you know of that are
    a. Useable
    b. Written in the last 5 years?

• User profile image
    eagle

It's not about the kernels we know of but the kernels that are being writen now and in the future.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Sabot wrote:

If Britain finally joins the Euro I believe the stage will be set for the Euro to become the worlds dominant currency and the dollar will fall into decline, I doubt that any serious economist will disagree.

On a complete side track, speaking as a pro-european Brit, there is no way that the UK will join the Euro. Politicly its a great idea. Unfortunatly its economic suicide. Tie your self to a country of 60 million with 1/3rd of its employed citizens on government pensions with no way of funding them in 20 years time and no political ability to change the system because whoever tries gets voted out quicker than you can say Jaques Chirac? No thanks - and thats just ONE of the potential foobars. 5 years ago I would have voted yes. Now I would have to vote no with a heavy heart.

• User profile image
    eagle

Sabot wrote:

something silly.

I love your British dried up sense of humor.

I have an EU passport and could be there in the morning, but I may be visiting France early in the New Year.

Britain doesn’t know if it is in the EU or not. Too many Brits are obsessed by the USA, while many more feel the “Commonwealth” is all that matters.

China is the largest market in our world and they are looking at 9% growth for next year. Mexico and Latin America have way more potential then does the EU.

Thanks for the invitation to stay at your place, but I abhor Counsel Flats.

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

What these places that all hate ms and want to use linux, if i were ms, i would be really worried.

you're right Britain has gone a bit odd, but you are wrong to say that the eu is irrelavent as i read that air china has chossen London stock exchange as the stock exchange to use out of china.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/

so maybe the eu is becomming more important with these growing markets.

Tom

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.