Coffeehouse Thread

54 posts

How should Media Player be improved?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jmutchek

I would REALLY like to see the ability to set equalizer settings through the object model for an embedded player.

Thanks!

• User profile image
    moofish

This topic is already a year old now and WMP10 was out ages ago, but problems still remain.

I can tell you that I would like to see:

1. Revamp AMG's database entry methods so when Ripping CD's and having to type data into the database allow for custom entries in Genre or at least use the list WMP has (ADV tag editor/genre) look at the selection, now compare this to AMG's meagre list, also allow for extering pictures and some of the entered information takes months to get passed, plus info entered can be half complete or completely unnacruate - so proof checking

2. When Ripping a CD the data recognised and entered should be formattable much like the option in MS Word: Format/Change Case/Title Case, if this is done before they are ripped it saves time doing it twice (file name and song title property field) when they are files on a computer

Att: Robert S. you said you were going to set up an interview with the WMP team. I know you must be busy with the Vista Beta 1 release and PDC, any further progress made **remember that problem list I sent**

Regards,

Samuel, UK

• User profile image
    Nick Halloway

Better podcast/sync implementation.

It should be possible to have WMP 10 automatically sync new podcasts from a monitored folder on your computer to your device.  I know it can do this currently with Autosync "Fresh Tracks" but the implementation is not as good as it could be. 

If I use this option, and delete a podcast from my computer, to conserve disk space for instance, it is automatically deleted from my device the next time I sync.  I would like to delete the files on my device on my own, regardless of their state on my computer.

I know I can just manually sync the files, but what I am looking for is an automatic copying of all files in a certain directory, and then deleting them from my computer after they have been copied, perhaps using rules or a batch file, whenever my device is attached or at  certain time intervals.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Support for .flac, .ape?

Too many formats, you have to rule them all.

• User profile image
    jamie

fast forward and fast reverse (as lars mentioned)

doing some video stuff last few days and its a drag moving the slider (ha)

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

jamie wrote:
    fast forward and fast reverse (as lars mentioned)

Works for me in WMV files in WMP10 - the 'fast' buttons are located at either end of the position slider. Doesn't work too well when streaming.

• User profile image
    jamie

ha - youre right.  i never noticed those before

still - they dont seem to go fast enough

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Media Player 10: one time I was in the middle of playing a song, and I right-clicked on the file in explorer.  I then clicked on the license tab, and whammo, my computer rebooted.  It went right to the BIOS screen.  Twice.

Today, I had media player playing a CD, and plugged in my USB digital camera. I then attempted to download my photos.  The entire screen went black.

Yup, completely black.

The monitor was fine, the computer was still running, although I couldn't get rid of the blank screen.  I shut down and rebooted and everything was fine. 

I don't know if that was Media Player's fault or a buggy camera driver. Or something with the video card (thanks Compaq!).

Jamie wrote:
    ha - youre right.  i never noticed those before

still - they dont seem to go fast enough

If you click once on the fast forward button, it will take you to 1.4X the normal speed. If you click on it again, it will go 2X normal speed. If you click on it yet again, it will go 5X the normal speed.

• User profile image
    jamie

jsrfc58 wrote:

If you click once on the fast forward button, it will take you to 1.4X the normal speed. If you click on it again, it will go 2X normal speed. If you click on it yet again, it will go 5X the normal speed.

thanks jsrfc58 -
    i did that - but option a) is too slow - b) is too slow and c) is like a fast stop frame...  its a computer.. cant it play smooth and fast like an old vcr can?

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Probably not...although that would be really nice (ask Larry Osterman...maybe he knows?).  My guess it is the ol' analog/digital thing, but that still doesn't seem right:

vinyl records, cassette tapes*, 8-tracks, VCR tapes = analog
    CDs, DVDs, computer video/audio formats = digital

I would think it would be theoretically possible...it is sort of akin to speeding up graphics animations.  All the steps are still there, but you just go through them faster. 

Slightly off-topic: What's funny, though is that people like my dad still swear up and down that they can tell a difference between the quality of vinyl records and CDs (he has a lot of audio equipment from all different decades).  I think he even has a couple of vacuum tube amplifiers around (the ones with the glass tubes that glow orange), a reel-to-reel recorder, and a bunch of other stuff.

In fact, when I was a kid he showed me how to splice reel-to-reel audio tapes together. :O

* whatever happened to the DAT (digital audio tape)?

• User profile image
    typhoon121

How about not redoing the interface every version. Also deploying updates to the program like the drm updates and the video accelarion  through the built in updater instead of microsoft/windows update.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

can you not bump threads this old?!

for the love of god!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

See these images I uploaded a while ago.

Obey cleartype settings!

And other stuff.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

I'm still upset about this. Does the WMP team seriously read that wiki? I'm getting a sort of "that's nice, kids" vibe.

Can anybody provide a link to the WMP team blog? Do they even exist?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Don't forget this thread. Since WMP is embedded with the OS they are allowed to be arrogant and deliver whatever they feel is needed. If a media player was not delivered with the OS I wonder if itunes would be on the majority of pcs.

• User profile image
    intrepid

I definately want it to play rm and quicktime file. Just pay them out Microsoft! And make it (un)FairPlay compatible... at least it'd keep all the idots with iPods happy.

• User profile image
    yogaman

WMP does allow 3rd party codecs to be installed and will play the associated files, yet will not list the playable files in the Media Library.

It's been more than three years since this reasonably trivial feature addition was requested. 

Sheesh.   Sad

• User profile image
    Scott.​Esbrandt

I would chuck the whole UI, no one wants a big bulky media player, and keyboard controls would definitely help.  Take a page from winamps book.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.