Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

What is a the latest build LH?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    smartguy

What is a the latest build of Windows Code Name "Longhorn"?

And also what is the best source for Longhorn news. Its not Msoft site. So please give me some good links. Not asking for a "butt Pirate" site. lol Smiley

• User profile image
    spod

6.0.4071.0 is the latest one not going through bvts ( not sure why it's interesting? Smiley )

• User profile image
    redvamp128

I think it is something that everyone is curious about. Speculations run wild as faked and real screenshots roam through sites. It would be nice since version numbers change I am assured on a daily basis to know what number the build is. It does not give away any secrets as to progress and or state of development. But it does for people outside Microsoft the curiosity factor of what is the build number of the day.

Speaking on the issue of build numbers- that raises question.

How for example is each build determined?
    we saw for example with Direct X versioning-
    DX 8.1,9.0,9.0a,9.0b and then we also saw minor changes in the ending numbers.
    Is there a signifigance to where and what is changed?

• User profile image
    sbc

I always thought 2000 was 5.0, XP was 5.1 and 2003 was 5.2. Is that not the case then?

• User profile image
    spod

Well, i don't think it's secret..it's a standard build practice i think?

I can't speak for directX, but in windows i think this is how it goes ( i might be wrong in some of the details... )

so taking 6.0.4071.0 as an example.

the first section is the major nt version. so this is nt version 6. ( xp was 5.1, windows2000 was 5.0 )

the second section is the minor nt version, so windows 2003 is 5.2 and xp is 5.1

the third digit is the build number from the main build lab. this increments every few days typically. Romantically i think of this as the 4071'st build since nt 1.0, but i'm not sure if that's strictly true Smiley...

Other builds take place ( privates, other build lab builds etc ) between the ones out of our main labs, and these are differentited by the 4th section.. they are also used to differentiate daily builds within the main build lab.

If people are interested in this stuff, we should get the channel9 guys to do a "how windows is built" video and get one of the high-up guys who really knows, to explain it all ( i'm just a lowly dev Smiley )

EDIT: thanks sbc - see told you i'd be the wrong person to explain all this Smiley

• User profile image
    miies

isn't that exactly what spod said?

• User profile image
    spod

only after i included sbc's edits...

• User profile image
    miies

Ah okay, didn't notice the edit note.

• User profile image
    smartguy

Is anyone a real beta tester? I mean a real beta tester for Longhorn? that has id/password at betaplace.com for testing LH?

• User profile image
    BOFH

One of the things which would be useful (in the eyes of an ex-beta news site owner), would be to perhaps have a running ticker on the site, displaying the currently compiled builds in Main, as well as in some of the more prominent labs such as Lab 6.

Unfortuately for the beta scene, even knowing the latest compiled build of LH seems to be used as a "weapon" to build trust amongst contributors; making it public information would perhaps level the playing field somewhat.

• User profile image
    Manip

BOFH your my hero Smiley  Nice name dude.

• User profile image
    Catatonic

I thought Windows gets compiled from scratch every single day no matter what.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

smartguy wrote:
    Is anyone a real beta tester? I mean a real beta tester for Longhorn? that has id/password at betaplace.com for testing LH?

Beta License Agreements

The Microsoft License Agreement for Beta Software (MLAB) is no longer required for beta testing. Terms and conditions for participating in Microsoft beta programs will be included within the product software, beta kit or on the download page. Agreeing to these terms is your acknowledgement that you will not disclose any information about a product including, but not limited to; the product, beta newsgroup content, Web site documents and other content, or the content of any beta-related e-mail to persons not covered by the agreement. Failure to abide by these terms could result in removal of you and your company from Microsoft beta programs.

• User profile image
    michaeltal

can you give us any hints on what features have been added since the PDC Build(4051)?

Michael

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

smartguy wrote:

Anyone that has received official PDC build DVDs is a betatester. I've got an actual login for the beta site.

As far as hints on what's coming in the next build, I would say just keep watching this site. They seem to talk more and more about what's going on here.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.