Coffeehouse Thread

53 posts

Windows XP Starter Edition

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Well, the supposidly "crippled" version of Windows is slowly making its way accross the far east.

What are people's views on the limitations of this "XP Lite", what with the lack of visual styling, 800x600 resolution limit, and the "3 application limit"

Has Microsoft released any articles regarding the application limit? Because I'm curious as to find out how it differenciates between a "process", a "program", an "application" and those that launch windows or not.

I've had a quick look on MSDN and I can't find any information about it.

Your comments?

• User profile image
    Manip

It is such rubbish I would use Linux before I used it.

An OS shouldn't limit the user; it should open up the computer's abilities to the fullest it can.

This is just another greedy move by Microsoft. They don’t need to charge £80 for XP home. They choose to.

• User profile image
    bsilby

Manip wrote:

An OS shouldn't limit the user; it should open up the computer's abilities to the fullest it can.

This is just another greedy move by Microsoft. They don’t need to charge £80 for XP home. They choose to.

Sort of looks like a contradiction to your views on how much MS should donate (in the "is B.Gates watching thread"). Surely they are charging what they think is reasonable. Surely they have the right to charge whatever they see fit. Its not our place to call them "greedy".

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

bsilby wrote:
    Manip wrote:

Sort of looks like a contradiction to your views on how much MS should donate (in the "is B.Gates watching thread"). Surely they are charging what they think is reasonable. Surely they have the right to charge whatever they see fit. Its not our place to call them "greedy".

You can call anyone greedy here, its a open forum (i guess).

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:
    Has Microsoft released any articles regarding the application limit? Because I'm curious as to find out how it differenciates between a "process", a "program", an "application" and those that launch windows or not.

So ... 3 applications, Messenger, Outlook Express and IE - and you then have to close one of these down in order to write a document or use the calculator?

Either the definition of application is very very loose or someone needs to re-think this.  Making computer use a chore is not a solution to the problem of cost (IMHO).

• User profile image
    compugab

Hey gang go read this before saying anything else
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_starter_edition.asp

• User profile image
    Manip

bsilby wrote:

Ahh but it's not a contradiction at all because I have to pay what they choose to charge. Therefore I have a right to complain about the cost of it. There are also no moral/ethical problems here either because they are not doing anything 'right'.

If however, Microsoft started giving out XPs at 10p to poorer areas I wouldn't be in a position to complain.

Bluh idiot trying to attack a completely unrelated topic.. duh...

• User profile image
    Rossj

compugab wrote:
    Hey gang go read this before saying anything else
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_starter_edition.asp

Okay I've read it and I stand by my statement,

WinSuperSite wrote:

In this case, the system displays a notification window telling you that you can only run three applications. The notification roughly reads as, "With Windows XP Starter Edition, you can run three programs at a time. To open a new program, please save your work, close one open application, and open the new application again." ...
    And clearly, that's a feature where more experienced users would feel the limitation, but for a first-time user who's never touched a mouse before, it's quite sufficient."

To finish the above sentence "..until that user is no longer inexperienced with a computer, about 3 or 4 weeks down the line".

All the research in the article must have shown that people will gain experience at using computers relatively quickly*, people only stay inexperienced for a while - and then it would become a chore to use.  When they come back to you in 6 months to a year and say "This is too limited" do you then tell them they can have more if they pay more?

Microsoft would have been better just lowering the price of XP home and adding some extra features for first time computer users.

*relative to something hypothetical that takes a long time Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

i agree ross, i just read that article and i thought exactly the same, what happens in 3 months when the parent and 50 kids (stereotyping, hey i've got an asian g/f) get's used to the PC.  It would have been better to sell these machines to an infants school/adult education than to families direct.

Could the C9 guys interview these XP starter edition developers?

• User profile image
    eagle

XP lite has to be better then Win9X and look at all the people in the USA and Europe still using Win9X.

• User profile image
    Manip

eagle wrote:
    XP lite has to be better then Win9X and look at all the people in the USA and Europe still using Win9X.

Running three applications at a time? I can't see how it could be.. 98 SE is a wonderful OS, I have it running on my Laptop still, it can run on just about anything.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've had a browse and search of MSDN, and I can't find any developer-specific information regarding developing for Starter Edition

...Which is interesting

I know a number of you guys are in India/Far East, I don't suppose you can acquire a copy of this "Starter Edition" and FTP it over to me?

Okay... technically thats illegal, but I've got several licenses for XP Pro, so surely getting a subset for analytical purposes only can be forgiven, right? Wink (And I understand Microsoft is willing to drop the "evil" image, right?) Tongue Out

• User profile image
    bsilby

Manip wrote:

Bluh idiot trying to attack a completely unrelated topic.. duh...

Gosh! Thats a powerful, well thought out argument.

I stand by my thoughts!

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:

You know that's not a bad idea. Why not just sell/give away one of the 9X versions instead of going to all this trouble.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Rossj wrote:
    All the research in the article must have shown that people will gain experience at using computers relatively quickly*, people only stay inexperienced for a while - and then it would become a chore to use.  When they come back to you in 6 months to a year and say "This is too limited" do you then tell them they can have more if they pay more?
    It "must" have shown this? Where are your facts to back up your claim? The Windows team have taken the time to do the research, because gut beliefs don't fly when you're justifying something this big. I've got plenty of *anecdotal* evidence of my own that people don't bother learning more when they don't have to (aunts who still don't know about right-clicking after four years, friends who think "the internet" is IE, etc etc).

There's a common techie belief that everyone else would be just as interested in computers as we are, if only we could teach them. That's pure hubris. Everyone else couldn't give a damn about computers. They just want to talk to people. Or learn new things. Or balance their books. If there was a magic blue pen that did this for them, they'd use the magic blue pen and throw away their computer without a second thought.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I know people who have been using computers for many many years now, but still have trouble with the notion of multi-tasking. The fact that you can open Internet Explorer while using Word without having to save and close is still not natural to them. Many times, while trying to explain something to them, they complain their document is gone when I asked them to switch back to Word. It turns out they hadn't switched back to Word, they started a new instance of it. The fact that it was still running in the background and that the taskbar represents this and can be used to switch applications just doesn't register. These kinds of people probably wouldn't even notice such a limitation, regardless of how long they've been using computers.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Rossj wrote:
    You know that's not a bad idea. Why not just sell/give away one of the 9X versions instead of going to all this trouble.
    Heh. I'd like to see your marketing campaign for that one. "We'll sell you a computer that is fundamentally less usable, less compatible, less reliable, and less secure than one you can buy in other countries. Oh, and it's already obsolete."

• User profile image
    Jaz

but why 3 programs only?  i think most of us wouldn't care about this if the fact that you only allow 3 programs to be open at a time.  In my system tray i have Outlook, Gmail Notifier, MSN Messenger, Steam, RSS Bandit, McAffee, the MS timezone, virtual CD/DVD Daemon. 

right ok so thats alot of programs "open" already so if we're stuck with 3, well the machine needs AV for a start, most AV's run in background mode, i don't know how starter edition handles it, but thats probably 1 program open already.  The kids will want to talk to all their other friends so thats MSN Messenger opened,  so we have 1 essential program running, 1 social program running that i suppose if push comes to shove could be switched off. but if they wanted to do their school report and had to work in groups while using MS Office and MS Encarta they are screwed. 

what do they shut down, they need contact with their friends, they need an AV running, they need MS Word/Excel/Publisher and they need encarta.

Jonathan, are you telling me, you'd quite happily give to all your friends, friends with kids, Windows XP Starter Edition.  In this instance Windows 9x is a more viable option than XP SE.  and beer, to be honest linux is just a silly idea.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.