Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Are computers becoming more human, or are humans becoming more like computers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Charles

Are computers becoming more human, or are humans becoming more like computers?

Here's a very interesting related project at MIT:

http://www.oxygen.lcs.mit.edu/Overview.html

Charles

• eagle

Yes, I remember reading;

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000C07AA-99F2-1C72-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=2

by the late, Michael L. Dertouzos.

• Charles

I'm starting to feel more like a computer. How about you? Smiley

Charles

• eagle

Yea, I’m working on a Windows Embedded app that performs an FDISK on humans. 

• Steve411

eagle wrote:

hahhaa... maybe you should call it "FBRAIN"

• GooberDLX

All I know is.. with more powerful hardware and software platforms coming out.. A.I. is still in the 50's...

I chose the A.I. path during college and did plenty of research and software projects on the subject, as it was my emphasis.. it gets old reiterating..

Is it a lack of knowledge? Or fear that we don't really know what we're doing that is hindering the advancement of A.I.

Jake

• eagle

Computers are integrating Mathematical Reasoning in me!

I make decisions now based on the probability of the outcome. I “compute” probability in RAM, my HD is too cluttered with everything I have learned.

• ZippyV

I've seen a documentary on tv some time ago about ai. There was a university in the USA where a professor made a genetical program with not much code (only 1 page long). This program was executed on a cluster of computers where the whole evolution of nature was just being started and evolving.
    The program worked like this:
    A mother and father version come 'together' and combine, unused parts disappear and new code is generated. The child of these two programs moves to another computer in the network where it waits for another program (mother or father) to combine again.
    I saw some of the results of that program and it was just unbelievable. It started with a couple of moving tubes and after a lot of 'generations' it was looking way more complicated, moving faster, weirder too.
    The professor who made this program said that within 5 years we will see more applications that use genetical code. (Is Microsoft doing research on this?)
    So, it's actually not very difficult to write such a genetical program that improves it's result everytime it is run.

• Steve411

I would have to agree with the fact that computers are becoming more human. The fact of the matter is, with software such as voice recognition, the computers obey our every command (not meening to sound like an evil scientist). As to us (humans, homo sapiens) becoming more 'computer-like' I would have to give it a 20 %.

Computers, now a days are not what they used to be back when Bill Gates first started writing BASIC.. In Todays computer era they (computers) are MUCH more advanced, as so are the humans. We do not store information into books and librarys as we used to in the past (companies did), instead now, the companies have their own web servers, FTP style baby, they upload all that on there and use it as a quick refrence.

With MSNS' encarta, there will be no need for dictionaries anymore.. It is all in there.. Book, Channels, DVD, Byte, Giga-Byte, Bill Gates is even in there..

To conclude this, and to re-apoint my statement above, computers are becoming more human like, but dragging us along with it. There is no stop to computers, you write um, and we get um  how you packaged um (so to speak). Vice versa.

Without computers there would be no Scobleizer blog.. We would not go out and buy a published book (compliment) everyday, as his post count is. Huh, but now, with the assistance of computers, the human inteligence has yet to increase.

/Steve

• Steve411

eagle wrote:

How about the present moment, what YOU feel, see, hear and taste.

Our thinking has obviously been effected by our use of computers, they have isolated us from some human contact; yet they brought us here….   

Yea, when you are playing baseball and you throw the ball, do you FEEL as if you are holding the mouse? When you listen to others, do you HEAR the clicking of the keyboard? When you eat, do you TASTE the RAM?

I think not..

• eagle

That post was a plea for posters to post personal experiences of interacting with computing systems.

• Steve411

eagle wrote:

That post was a plea for posters to post personal experiences of interacting with computing systems.

Yes, and you were born to pester.

• pablo

eagle wrote:

You'll make a fortune, I’d like to nominate a few beta testers.

• GooberDLX

ZippyV wrote:
    I've seen a documentary on tv some time ago about ai. There was a university in the USA where a professor made a genetical program with not much code (only 1 page long). This program was executed on a cluster of computers where the whole evolution of nature was just being started and evolving.
    The program worked like this:
    A mother and father version come 'together' and combine, unused parts disappear and new code is generated. The child of these two programs moves to another computer in the network where it waits for another program (mother or father) to combine again.
    I saw some of the results of that program and it was just unbelievable. It started with a couple of moving tubes and after a lot of 'generations' it was looking way more complicated, moving faster, weirder too.
    The professor who made this program said that within 5 years we will see more applications that use genetical code. (Is Microsoft doing research on this?)
    So, it's actually not very difficult to write such a genetical program that improves it's result everytime it is run.

When I was in school.. I did genetic alrogithm research... and created a framework in Java. We applied the framework to "create" a Checkers Player (strategy)

Genetic Algorithms are amazingly simple.

1) Populate a generation

2) Check fitness of each individual within an environment

3) Mutate and/or prune population (evolution/natural selection)

4) Goto Step 2 until you reach top fitness or set generation level.

pros:

simple design, easy to write algorithm, can be applied to anything from estimating how many generations to breed a perfect dog to Source Code optimization

cons:

the hardest part of my research and project was actually working the logistics of the individual and the environment. Sure the environment for a Checkers player is a game, but now the question is, how do you quantify Checkers into a value/object in which you can infer on and evaluate.

In our case, we chose different approaches.. we had a value array that contained weights (from 1 to 10) for certain situations in which the checkers strategy would strive for... For example, it would eventually weigh having kings to be more than moving all of your pieces from "home"... our other approach was simply storing weights for each of the position and factoring in kings and color. the previous example ended up being enough to win (20+ attributes) against an average checkers player after a few thousand generations.

Jake

I know I have said this in other threads.. but once I get my port over to .net completed, I could share it for those who are interested...

• GooberDLX
  • ZippyV

Does somebody know when we are going to see applications that were made/generated with genetic algoritms?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.