Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

MS Anti-Spyware Beta

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Atlanta, the Microsoft anti-spyware beta is on the way! It's not realy a "beta" beta because it was GIANT Anti-Spyware back in 2004.

Spyware is a moving target, so how can we keep pace?  

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Link?

• User profile image
    eagle

De bron is van Nederland!

• User profile image
    Rossj

I hope the interface changes before it gets out of beta.  The part that is worrying me is that there appear to be lots of hyperlink style buttons but some seem to be underlined and some not. The scan options on this screen seem to be expanded but there is nothing underneath it.

I guess Microsoft always gets mac tarts complaining about the UI, but it'd be nice to be consistent. Smiley

NSLog made me think about this, this morning ...

• User profile image
    Jaz

seems to me to be keeping to the styling of Windows (see "My Computer" with the bar on the left side of the screen)

• User profile image
    Rossj

Jaz wrote:
    seems to me to be keeping to the styling of Windows (see "My Computer" with the bar on the left side of the screen)

Maybe the screenshot is wrong but it shows some links being underlined and others not.  Might be that the person taking the screenshot is hovering over the link or something I guess.

• User profile image
    Maurits

eagle wrote:

Spyware is a moving target, so how can we keep pace?  

Online database of spyware signatures (along the lines of AV, Vipul's Razor, SURBL...)

• User profile image
    Jaz

Rossj wrote:
    Jaz wrote: seems to me to be keeping to the styling of Windows (see "My Computer" with the bar on the left side of the screen)

Maybe the screenshot is wrong but it shows some links being underlined and others not.  Might be that the person taking the screenshot is hovering over the link or something I guess.

the styling looks consistent to me all over windows.

• User profile image
    Manip

• User profile image
    Rossj

Manip wrote:
    some pictures...

Are you bored?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip, are you after Jamie's job? Wink

• User profile image
    Jaz

good points by manip to be honest.  I hope the C9 team get interviews (if not already secured and waiting for upload) with the AS (antispyware) team.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Don't worry, they're catching a lot of UI bugs during the internal pre-beta release.  I've filed at least six bugs against it myself Smiley  The team are in a real crunch mode to get it out the door as fast as possible, and then clean up "fit and finish" issues left over from the original GIANT UI later on.

• User profile image
    Briden

too funny how they have it detecting the messenger + addon as spyware (it is, i know, but, come on, there must be another motive there)

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Does it integrate with the Security Center?

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Briden wrote:
    too funny how they have it detecting the messenger + addon as spyware (it is, i know, but, come on, there must be another motive there)
    Microsofties use Messenger Plus too, so that issue has been noted internally. There's no hidden motive, just the inherited database of threat classifications from GIANT.

• User profile image
    Jaz

remember to get the teams here, get some C9 exclusives for us.

• User profile image
    Frank Hileman

manip, I loved your analysis of the GUI!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.