Coffeehouse Thread

77 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What would you like to see Microsoft do differently this year?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    geekling

scobleizer wrote:
    Macromedia is asking "What do you find to be the most obnoxious thing about Macromedia right now?" So, thought it'd be a good time to ask something similar: "what would you like Microsoft to do differently this year?"

• Offical support for IronPython (sorry, pet peeve).
    • Polish up the anti-spyware software offering and get it out the door as a 1.0 version so I can install it on my parents computer.
    • Give Beer28 the rabies shot he so desperately needs.
    • A XAML parser - not Avalon, just an "offical" XML format and .NET library for it, to be deserialized into Windows.Forms controls; you know, let people can start hammering out language agonistic designers instead of seeing the 60 bazillion "C# Forms Designer support!" crap everywhere, which does me no good.
    • Higher level API support - how many times have you had to create a simple dialog box with an edit control, an 'OK' button and a 'Cancel' button? Over and over again. System.Windows.Forms.Prefabs; an entire namespace devoted to prefabricated, basic Windows.Forms controls that most developers end up creating on their own anyway. I don't know, maybe System.Windows.Forms.HamSandwich.
    • Jim Hugunin on Channel9. Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

Id like to see less Republican MS and more Democrat MS

example:

on the one side we have Linux / OSS / half baked well intentioned "open/freedom" software - read:  green Party / Nader ticket

On the other side we have MS - huge corp, licencing, scarry EULA's, DRM, patents, in bed with big media = Republican party

In the middle there is nothing for the (aprox 50% democrats) in the USA and those damb 90% liberals in Canada. ( NY / LA / Can =Dem/liberal...thats alot of customers..)

Sure there is Apple - but thats like trying to sell BMW to someone who can afford a Chrysler

Please do more for consumer rights and liberties, pull the reins in on heavy handed media control ( you might sell a few more media centres in the process) and lastly do more to empower the client side of Web based computing ( like local portals, P2P, lobby for higher upload speeds for consumers etc.)

Thanks

PS to Macromedia:  "The most annoying thing about macromedia is...

..that it EXISTS! Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

Eddie wrote:
    I want MS to come up with a company mascot (and not as crappy as the MSN butterfly...).

Think of the fun the MS community could have, creating anti-linux/BSD/OSX/etc images where the MS mascot kill/mames/dominates tux or the BSD demon (whatever his name is)..

theyve already got one and dont know it

* see top left of this page "beatles of software: number 9  number 9...  Wink

• User profile image
    Sampy

geekling wrote:
    Higher level API support - how many times have you had to create a simple dialog box with an edit control, an 'OK' button and a 'Cancel' button? Over and over again. System.Windows.Forms.Prefabs; an entire namespace devoted to prefabricated, basic Windows.Forms controls that most developers end up creating on their own anyway. I don't know, maybe System.Windows.Forms.HamSandwich.

We have templates in VS 2005 with common dialogs (like about boxes, splash screens, etc.). Not great for you SDK developers out there but good for VS users.

• User profile image
    jamie

k - windows 2005
    - sampy fullscreen face on the box (see above)
    - tagline: I'm young!  *as above=real

(like toyota does with seller commercial spots..real employees etc = that but cooler)

id buy it

haha

• User profile image
    Sabot

Paul Ballards 10 predictions

http://www.theserverside.net/articles/showarticle.tss?id=Predictions2005

I especially thought of Beer28 when I read this !

"Linux’s Jihad
    After the declaration of a Holy War against Microsoft products, Linux will finally reach 2% worldwide market share on PCs and Servers. The other 98% of the world not living in their parent’s basement won’t notice or care."

Wink

• User profile image
    Blackice

well...

1) **Public** Longhorn BETA
    2) lower prices
    3) leave linux alone
    4) port .NET framework to other OSes
    5) actually make ANOTHER OS, not just a touched up version of WinNT (but i guess we have to wait for BlackComb for that)
    6) admit that apple is a R&D department, not another company (ducks)
    7) make XP MCE retail (update for prof.??)

ok, so 3,4,5 and 6 will never come true, but its what I'D LIKE to see.... Tongue Out

the rest are in fact probable....

Blackice

• User profile image
    Tensor

Adopt Scobles $5 to Tsunami fund for using the word Blog policy company wide, but substitute "Service Oriented Architecture" for "Blog". Seriously if I hear that is the solultion for every frikin problem under the sun again this year I may explode.

Oh and some kind of anti-spywa...oh, wait... Smiley

• User profile image
    iStation

Please make "Smart Watch" with Tsunami Warning and Insurance!
    Smiley

• User profile image
    matt0210

Sven Groot wrote:

What is it with computers and car analogies anyway?

Hi Sven,
    you don't remember the classic back-and-forth between the Chrysler boss and Gates a few years ago where Gates compared the PC development to cars??? It was a screamer because the was plaing at the CEO level!
    I'm sure someone out there remembers the details (or even has a link). It was in the days of Win95 or 98, so it's been a while...

• User profile image
    matt0210

Rossj wrote:
    scobleizer wrote:what would you like Microsoft to do differently this year?

Wow, thats a much harder question than it first appears.  I think I'd like to see Microsoft repair more bridges, be friendlier, be more open to competition (i.e. provide full unhindered* access to the documentation required by the SAMBA team).

*unhindered here means not wrapped in an .exe that carries a license.

I hear you loud and clear!!! Especially videos from MS are packed as an exe. WHY?? for goodness sakes!!!!!
    I shouldn't get too exited. It's probably about choice Wink

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

jamie wrote:

so to use the democrat - middle analogy - people in the middle are anti capitalistic?

OK Stallman - you may be able to call anti-capitalistic..  but what are people who think a buck a song is ridiculous when its their time, bandwidth, storage space, removable media, ink, paper and case - and they are doing all the work?

can we not disagree with an antiquated business model - just because MS decides there is money in "rescuing it" ?

* dont forget we are talking millions and millions of peole here.. are they all anti capitalist / communists because the internet came along and "older" monoliths have not embraced it fully / properly?

To be honest, I'm didn't hear the whole context of his speech, so I might be incorrect here.. But my point is close to what you said in this quote, in regards to Stallman. I'm sure Microsoft can help make a better business model, but I think that for those people who want to charge a buck (or 10 bucks) a song, they should be able to do so, until they choose otherwise. Similarly, if someone wants to give away songs for free, they should do so as well.

I think we can agree on that Microsoft, although a for-profit company, should focus, in the new year, more on being a public advocate, even if profits suffer slightly. In the end, they do have to answer to Stockholders, but if Microsoft can change their public image from a predator to an advocate, well, I think that would be swell.

• User profile image
    Simo

Eddie wrote:
    I want MS to come up with a company mascot

They've got one, and he's called Clippit.

Admittedly, they've tried to disown him. But I'm not having any of it. You reap what you sow.

Clippit wrote:

Hello, you appear to be writing a letter?

Innocent member of the public wrote:

$#%&!^£ paperclip. $#%&!^£ microsoft can shove their $#%&!^£ paperclip up their collective $#%&!^£ $#%&

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Simo wrote:
    Eddie wrote: I want MS to come up with a company mascot

They've got one, and he's called Clippit.

Nah, Clippy did if for the money. Just see here! (Oh and btw, that penguin is not Tux)

• User profile image
    geekling

Sampy wrote:

We have templates in VS 2005 with common dialogs (like about boxes, splash screens, etc.). Not great for you SDK developers out there but good for VS users.

That's great, but what if I'm using Boo?
    Hell, even as an extra download from Microsoft I could still use'em in my client applications from any language I wanted; the VS 2005 templates would pin me to VB or C#, which is O-K but I like to use Boo in my spare time because its quick, fun, and clean.

I really can't muster up a coherent argument while staring at your avatar, dude. That thing creeps me out.

• User profile image
    orcmid

OK, OK, I'm calmer today.  And I am having a great experience with the AntiSpyware beta 1 installation on both Vicki's computer (clean bill of health) and mine (a few gotchas that SpyBot S&D missed and some new things that I really like).

So there is no mystery privileging as far as I can tell.  This material comes in fine, and it catches stuff about Microsoft sites/software as well as any others, so far as I can tell at this point.

Oh, and an odd thing of the kind that usually fires up my rant engine.  The Adobe PDF plug-in for MSN Desktop Search code is unsigned, and on Vicki's machine either the firewall or the AntiSpyware (or a slight different setting in local security policies with SP2 maybe) caught it.  It wasn't caught on my (no-SP2) laptop, so I will check the local policies to see if that's the deal.  So my rant would be about the inscrutibility of this stuff, and a possible too-generous default policy thingie, plus having the MSN Search site recomment a plug-in that involves an off-site link and delivers unsigned code. But I don't feel like ranting about it today, just pointing out that there is more to put in on this particular journey.

[update: I had wanted to make this be a comment on my previous comment at http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=34827#34827 but my intuition about that failed.  I could fault the Channel 9 UI design, but I don't want to be distracted from the topic of this thread.  Heh.]

• User profile image
    kenfine

What would we like to see Microsoft do this year? I'll bite:

Acquire Macromedia, Inc., and finish the job they've started in the RIA space. The Flash player is ubiquitous, it streams video, it does audio, it parses XML. You can do more-or-less mature class-based development with Actionscript 2. Flash has become what client-side Java was hyped to be: a rich, light, client-side playpen. Right now it's the best bet if you want rich cross-browser interactivity and don't have a whole team to work on the thing. I'd love to see a deep integration of MSFT's back-end technologies with the rich experiences that Flash can offer. I'd also like to see Microsoft bring a reasonable pricing model to the back-end technologies like FlashCom and Remoting. Macromedia is blowing it in this regard.

Microsoft should give away TechEd DVDs to any Microsoft Universal subscriber, and they should try to make Tech Ed and similar training as affordable as possible. When developers grow big smart and strong, they come back to buy lots more Microsoft technology. Win-win.  

Assign a team of Microsoft developers to write something insanely great for the good of the Internet community. I'm thinking of a killer application that interfaces with USENET, which was once an ammazing place, and can become so again if the right tools are developed to interact with it. In the beginning, USENET was the domain of an educated, engaged community, and the experience was awesome. Once the big ISPs hooked up in the early/mid-90s, the community couldn't hold back the "barbarian hordes." USENET has been junked up.

Build moderation mechanisms into a newsreader, allow people to build "affinity networks," create XML services and plumbing that will allow localized "newsgroups" to populate a website while still the data still feeds to centralized, shared resources.

Centralize what Slashdot and other sites allow on the local level. Give people the client tools and database services to make USENET great again, and give it all away free, gratis, to everyone. A revitalized USENET will generate tons of goodwill, and it will be a service to the Internet community, which is seeing its dialogue fractured into a million local databases and a million isolated communities.

I think that's just about enough faux-manic ranting for the workday, and quite enough for Microsoft, Inc. to accomplish in 2005. Good luck. Smiley

• User profile image
    Sampy

Geekling wrote:
    That's great, but what if I'm using Boo?
    Hell, even as an extra download from Microsoft I could still use'em in my client applications from any language I wanted; the VS 2005 templates would pin me to VB or C#, which is O-K but I like to use Boo in my spare time because its quick, fun, and clean.

I really can't muster up a coherent argument while staring at your avatar, dude. That thing creeps me out.

Like I said, it wouldn't help you SDK guys out much.

The templates seem to be in Express SKUs (standard disclaimer applies) so you could grab them out of there and convert them to whatever non-standard language you want.

If they were base classes, they'd be much harder to modify and use. Samples are the clear way to go here.

Were you talking about my Avatar? First I'm the new Longhorn spokesman and now I'm creepy Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.