Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Recommend a good Outlook Site, Newsgroup, or Forum?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shawn

I know Google's always an option but I'm hoping someone here could recommend a good WebForum, Newsgroup, or Website for Outlook to me. 

I'm not an Exchange admin or anything; it's just that I depend on Outlook a lot and am wondering if there's anything I'm missing out on.  Hints, tips, tutorials, things like that.  I'd really be interested in sites that might explain how to make (mostly UI related) changes in Outlook using only basic programming skills (if that's even possible).

Also, is there a way to enable Forms in Outlook 2003 when using Pop3 to get email, ie, no Exchange Server?  Everything I've read says no. 

TIA

• User profile image
    cageyjames

A good starting point is KC's weblog and the wonderful You Had Me At EHLO.

• User profile image
    DougKlippert

I recommend Slipstick.com.
    Sue Mosher has maintained the site since 1994.

• User profile image
    Shawn

Great!  Thanks for the linkage. 

I'll be going through this tomorrow night as I've got friends in town tonight.

• User profile image
    kclemson

I definitely cover exactly what it sounds like you're asking for... making Outlook's programmability easily accessible to non-coders is one of my goals.

http://blogs.msdn.com/kclemson/category/4129.aspx covers some of the basic macro/UI stuff.

http://blogs.msdn.com/kclemson/category/2165.aspx has more.

• User profile image
    jamie

...something tells me there will be many more posts regarding this topic... do you have a direct line?

Wink  [kidding!]

• User profile image
    Shawn

kclemson wrote:

I definitely cover exactly what it sounds like you're asking for... making Outlook's programmability easily accessible to non-coders is one of my goals.

Thanks!  I honestly haven't had time yet to look into reading through all the links you all have provided me yet but I'm hoping tomorrow (Saturday) will be the day.

To further explain what I'm trying to do, all I want to do is modify the default Journal entry Form in Outlook 2003 (academic edition if that matters).  Since I pretty much use Outlook to manage everything but my finances I thought I'd use the Journal to track how well/poorly I've been following along with my excercise plan.  Given the visual nature of the Journal this would give me a really quick look at my progress.  Unfornately, the default fields aren't really suitable for this. 

At first this might seem to be a quirky use of this part of Outlook but with a little work I think it'll prove to be the perfect tool. 

And is everything I've read so far correct?  Do you have to connected to an Exchange Server (which is certainly not an option for me regardless of whether it's a limitation of the Academic version of Office 2k3 or not) to use Custom Forms in Outlook?

Thanks for all the replies.  Have a good weekend!

• User profile image
    kclemson

Start here to look up any and all information related to coding in Outlook: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm.

You do not have to be connected to exchange to use custom forms.

If it doesn't work, I wonder if something like storing data in excel and having a pivot chart would help?

• User profile image
    Jaz
  • User profile image
    Shawn

kclemson wrote:
    Start here to look up any and all information related to coding in Outlook: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm.

You do not have to be connected to exchange to use custom forms.

If it doesn't work, I wonder if something like storing data in excel and having a pivot chart would help?

Thanks for the reply.  I've been looking online a bit just to see if anyone else has tried to accomplish what I'd like to do but I haven't found anything yet.

Right now I already have all my running data/times in an Excel spreadsheet and it works pretty well.  Since I'm pretty much married to Outlook for tasks, the contact list, and email I thought I'd just try to incorporate that too. 

I'm signed up for a VB.NET class this summer (it's required for the curriculm - I'm not that geeky) so I'm hoping to learn a few things that can be put to use.  I just hope the professor has a clue.

Since it was brought up, I'd like to recommend leaving NNTP features out of Outlook and focus more on refining the functionality already present (Outlook 2k3 is the best looking and easiest to use email client I've ever used - keep up the good work!).  I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I use Outlook for filing away my personal things.  I use OE for my crap email and Newsgroups. I don't need newsgroup contents in my ever growing .pst file.  Just my two cents.

Just an interesting note, Google brought this page up as the top link on one of my searches.  While I voted for it, maybe the search functionality for the forums isn't needed so badly after all.  Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.