Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Blog Bill Gates

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Blog Bill Gates

Bill Gates at CES said;“So if you look at what's going on with e-mail, instant messaging, blogging communities, and now this live entertainment, if we can integrate all that and make it seamless so you can see a person's presence across that, invite them to do different things, then we will have created something that's quite phenomenal”.

Yes, this is quite phenomenal and Bill was at his best at CES when he wasn’t hawking Windows but talking about how our lives have changed. We would love to have Bill Gates blogging, we need to hear his voice in our conversation.

The Bill Gates we have come to know has been filtered by PR agencies or cut and diced by a hack journalist, too often he is defined only by his enemies.

In Cnet this week Bill said; “I've toyed with doing a blog myself, but I don't want to be one of those people who start and then don't finish it, and again I'm thinking maybe I could do one a month or one every six weeks--something like that”.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

When is a blog ever "finished"? I suppose that should be interpreted as meaning he wants to be somewhat consistent in his posting.  I'm pretty sure, though, that it would get bombarded with comments (good and bad) and the server would go through a couple of crashes in the process because of the initial traffic. 

Maybe in some cases filtering is actually a good thing (ever seen the movie "The Aviator"?). 

And then the line: "if we can integrate all that and make it seamless..." makes me think of one thing: Hailstorm, part II.

Perhaps he also wants to get in touch with his inner "world dominator" before conquering the blogging landscape (if that were possible).

• User profile image
    eagle

Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6 would be up to the task and I think MS IT would enjoy the challenge.

Obviously some form of authentication would be necessary (unlike C9) and with ASP.Net you can require that people join the site.
    Also Bill’s “presence” can be authenticated so he can respond on YOUR BLOG and here on C9.     

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:

Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6 would be up to the task and I think MS IT would enjoy the challenge.

Obviously some form of authentication would be necessary (unlike C9) and with ASP.Net you can require that people join the site.
    Also Bill’s “presence” can be authenticated so he can respond on YOUR BLOG and here on C9.     

I don't know, I think Bill Gates could get away with disabling comments except from Microsoft Partners.  He already has plenty of sources for us to tell him what we think,  but we have no way of knowing what he thinks apart from rare public appearances.  If even I can start a blog, so can Bill Gates.

• User profile image
    gosla111

maybe

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

If Bill Gates starts a blog, either he disables comments, or he must hire a team whose full-time job is removing blogspam. The amount of spam/flames that Bill would get would likely make the ieblog look like nothing.

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

I doubt that it's worth the effort for him to start one. Sure, it would be awesome, but I'm sure the comments he'd recieve would defeat the purpose.

Also, he'd have to be very, very careful as to what he says to us.

However, I do believe a once-a-month appearence, with no comments, would be cool. Sort of a briefe review of what Microsoft is doing, or at least, where Windows will be going. Or, something just purely technical, disconnected from Microsoft.

• User profile image
    eagle

Wouldn’t this be a great opportunity to preview and showcase a new form of authentication? A digital ID would be required to post a comment on Bill’s blog.

A digital ID would also allow Bill to post to your blog, so you would know it was himself.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Agree with those who say its pointles... A blog is a place for almsot stream-of-conciousness writing. Hopefully the reader learns a little more about the writer... to me thats the poin and the beauty of blogs.

Thats never going to happen with someone like BillG - hes just too high profile. It would end up being a glorrified press release. 

• User profile image
    eagle

A blog is a place where you share and learn.

• User profile image
    pablo

eagle wrote:

A blog is a place where you share and learn.

We speak of Bill Gates each day, he should also be able to speak with us.

• User profile image
    ThomasAesir

Dr. Shim wrote:
    I doubt that it's worth the effort for him to start one. Sure, it would be awesome, but I'm sure the comments he'd recieve would defeat the purpose.

He could have someone review the comments and only post the relevant ones.

They could post the 5 best comments of the day. It would be like reader comments to a magazine. There are no guarantees that your comments are going to be published but its nice when they do.

• User profile image
    eagle

eagle wrote:

Wouldn’t this be a great opportunity to preview and showcase a new form of authentication? A digital ID would be required to post a comment on Bill’s blog.

A digital ID would also allow Bill to post to your blog, so you would know it was himself.

I expected that many C9'ers would encourage Bill to blog!

Just start imaging the possibilities, we can all learn through engaging conversation rather then having someone’s words interpreted by someone else.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.