Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

the mac mini

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

to be honest this is the sorta thing i would buy if i knew nothing about PC's/Mac's.  I think it will generally sell well for the mac, probably idea for the secretary and even more ideal for the thai aunt.

Mac Mini is announced, tiny mac with firewire, USB2, VGA/DVI output etc. $499 for 1.25ghz model and $599 for 1.4ghz model. Available Jan 22nd.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Jaz wrote:

to be honest this is the sorta thing i would buy if i knew nothing about PC's/Mac's.  I think it will generally sell well for the mac, probably idea for the secretary and even more ideal for the thai aunt.

Mac Mini is announced, tiny mac with firewire, USB2, VGA/DVI output etc. $499 for 1.25ghz model and $599 for 1.4ghz model. Available Jan 22nd.

I'll be pre-ordering mine as soon as the store comes back up. 
    Now to find a 6"x6"x2.5" space for it Smiley

[Edit] Sad Apple store is swamped.

• User profile image
    Jaz

i will probably buy the ipod shuffle though since the 1gb model is priced decently

student discount too when the store comes up.  ahh i love being a student.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Cross posted from my blog after a little consideration :

As much as it pains me to say it, and as much as I like the idea I doubt I will be getting a Mac Mini. Of course I am not part of the target audience so that is okay, but for weeks now the thought of a nice cheap mac was so, so, tempting.

The price is nice, but by the time you have added enough memory and wireless then of course its not quite so cheap. I did originally have high hopes of a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so that I could put it under my TV (it is silent apparently).

In terms of power, it is no faster than my current Mac so there isn't enough of a reason there ..

.. and then I am struggling for valid reasons why I *should* buy one.

This may be the first time that I have successfully managed to hold back from buying a toy that I thought I wanted Smiley but then that 12" Powerbook still looks mighty tempting Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I do plan to buy this, but not untill I can pay £50 extra for a decent GPU.

Today's sub-£500 PCs have 128MB GeForce 5 (FX) 5200s, some are even including GeForce 6200s

Apple's Radeon 9200 32MB AGP4X offering pales in comparison.... I doubt even Bungie's own Halo will run properly... made even worse by the fact its integrated into the logic-board of the computer.

Apple probably will update the Mini-Mac later on with a more powerful GPU. I know they're targetting "iPod-using PC Users" but these people are the type that already own a Mid-range PC (around £700) that has something like an equally mid-range GeForce FX 5500 inside it.

Apple should have also up-played the "more work per cycle" like AMD did.... To the disconcerting consumer, a £300 Wintel 2GHz box is better than a 1.4Ghz Apple, even if the platforms are completely different.

People walk into PC shops asking "which of 'dem doohickies other there have the most megahurtz?"

...They're going to dismiss the MiniMac in a snap when they're told "its slower than PCs", not bothering to listen to the "but" following.

I plan to buy one of these.... I've heard many good things about OS-X, and I'm still waiting for Marklar to be relased

Perhaps... with Apple's increasing "target PC users" stance, they MIGHT, just MIGHT release OS-X for PC users? They already maintain x86 builds of the OS for internal reasons..... now, if only *ONE* of those builds were leaked.... I'd be onto it soooooo fast.

Microsoft needs to wake up and get rid of the "start button"

People do NOT want to be patronised by a big green button that says "Start"

Oh, and get this irony:

I've done some calculations, and I've discovered that the MiniMac is more cost-effective for 3rd world countries than Microsoft's "Windows XP Starter Edition" boxes.... In terms of "bang-per-buck", Apple's offering wins, hands down.... no "3 program limit" either. OS-X is an elegent OS, one where its a PLEASURE to use. Windows will never gain that stance, even less when they gave it a horrid UI, hard to use program launching paradgym, and allowed 3rd parties to write their own drivers)

I'll just say:

"I use QuickLaunch"

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Another mini-apple.
    What did actually go wrong with the "cube" some time ago?

• User profile image
    Ozzyfudd

Wow!  Apple invents the shuttle!  If its anything like the powerbooks, we'll be able to make smores over its smouldering carcass. 

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ozzyfudd wrote:
    Wow!  Apple invents the shuttle!  If its anything like the powerbooks, we'll be able to make smores over its smouldering carcass.

I don't think Apple are claiming that at all.  Would you accuse a company using Intel chips of trying to invent the shuttle if they released something in that form factor? Nah though not.

Powerbooks aren't the only laptops to have problems with heat and batteries.  I remember the Vaio having problems a couple of years back.  And even if it is hot - at least it is silent Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

Jaz wrote:

for the secretary

My Father had a secretary, I have a PC.

• User profile image
    Cider

The Jonathan Ive Guide To Designing Macs:

Take 1 Biscuit tin: 

1 pot of white paint: 

1 Apple stencil: 

And throw quickly together overnight.  It doesn't matter if the finished product looks like a white biscuit tin, you'll be lauded for your product designs anyway.

• User profile image
    j0nd4v1d

it's always funny to me how people think simple design is easy, it's not. product design is a challenging animal, and apple has hit more design home-runs with the macmini and the ipodshuttle - simple, elegant, knowable. I would challenge you to find a more delighfully designed line of home computer * anywhere. as to why their stuff all looks similar, last time I checked the ipod was pretty successful, and everything seems to be based on that design- hence, i don't blame their design teams. That being said, they did this cube * awhile back - they were neat looking then, and this one is neat looking as well. However, the expandability is sweet - the old cubes have a ram ceiling that was quickly obselete, these babies ramp to 1G I believe. A Mac at this pricepoint should kick some dell-*.

• User profile image
    barlo_mung

My first reaction was that it looks neat but it is still over priced. Instead of dropping important items like the monitor, mouse and keyboard they should have just reduced the price of the imac or even the emac.

People seem to like shiny things though so I'm sure it will sell. One thing apple knows how to do is market so more power to them I guess. At least they aren't forcing people to pay the Apple tax this time with the one button mouse.

• User profile image
    wkempf

I don't get it.  This does just seem to me to be Apple reinventing the shuttle.  Rossj, I'm not sure what you were trying to say, because the shuttle is another company using Intel chips to build a box in the form factor of this "mac mini".  The PC world has had ITX mobos for some time now.  And you can build machines with much smaller form factors than this "mini mac".  For instance, check out the Windows XP Box in a "Windows XP Box":  http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/.

Now, if the deal is that it's an affordable Mac... well, it makes me a little interested, but the fact that it's so "lite" in it's power means I'm only a *little* interested.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

wkempf wrote:

Lol, I particularly like one of his requirements:
  • It must not burst into flames when working hard (this should always be a requirement of a computer project).

Yes, that does help, doesn't it? Wink

• User profile image
    barlo_mung

I will admit that I have a small amount of Mac envy where slot drive optical drives are concerned.  Why is it that you don't see ANY PCs with slot drives?  Is it a patent issue?  My car has one, why can't my PC?

• User profile image
    Jaz

pioneer i believe do a slot drive, could be wrong though

• User profile image
    Jorgie

umm... I am using a shuttle box right now... from the specs, you could stack 3 mac minis on top of each other and fit them in a shuttle box with room to spare all the way around. Shuttle boxes are MUCH larger.

Then again, if you want a full size PCI and AGP slot, you pay for it in case size.

Jorgie

• User profile image
    barlo_mung

It's really more like they are copying the Cappuccino PC.
    http://www.cappuccinopc.com/mocha.asp

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.