Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

3rd time is not a charm when logging in to windows

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MeTo

As a long time Windows user I have this relative simple question.

When you have typed your password wrong 3 times while logging in to a Windows 2000 computer, Windows uses about 20 sec. before erroring out "You have typed the wrong password"...

This happens with or wihtout connection to a domain.

Is this a feature, or a bug? and why?

• User profile image
    sbc

Perhaps it is to prevent brute force password hacking?

• User profile image
    tiernan

id guess its a feature to detair people to try and crack a password. most users have quite hard to guess passwords, but it could still happen. if every 3 times you tried a password you where locked out for 20 seconds, it would take quite a lot of extra time to crack the password, if posible. it should probably be after 3 20 second stops, have a 5 minute stop (or after every 9 tries, which ever way you look at it). only reason this could cause problems to users is when their drunk! i can never find the keys for my password when i have had one or two too many Guinness!

• User profile image
    redvamp128

On the lighter side it may be to stop this (humor but please click)
    To Stop CATS from taking control of your computer.

http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/index.html

• User profile image
    paulcam

This is correct... it's to keep people from trying to authenticate over and over. Linux's login has similar functionality.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.