Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Tabs in IE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GurliGebis

Hey.

I just wanted to know, how many of you are missing tabs in Internet Explorer?
    I am using Maxtron for browsing (wrapper around IE), since it has tabs.
    Several of the people I know (colleagues and friends) are switching to Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox, the main reason when I ask them is always, that they need tabs, since they are tired of having too many windows open.

So, since I know several developers are reading from this forum, I'd like to know if this is a plan (please before Longhorn ships).

I think it is a shame people are migrating away from IE because of this.

And to you other co-users, are you using IE (if you are, are you missing tabs in IE, and would it make you switch browser if its not added?), or some other browser (In this case, why are you using another browser?)

• User profile image
    littleguru

Well, many say that they switch from IE to Firefox since Firefox offers tabs. But few of them do the actually use them... One of my friends switched for that reason. When I'm now at his place he surfs with 5 Firefox windows open Big Smile

I guess lot of the people switch from IE to Firefox, since Firefox has no ActiveX build in.

In my opinion Microsoft should drop the current release of IE and create a whole new browser - no longer based on the IE codebase. I wonder how much money Microsoft is spending in fixing the bugs in IE.

Cheers
    Christian

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'm using IE, and I'm not missing tabs in the least. More often than not I find tabs to be more confusing than helpful.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Me too. I don't need them.

• User profile image
    appel

I prefer browsing using tabs, so I use firefox. Trying to browse the web with IE is almost impossible for me now, new windows everywhere and all of them steal focus and what not.

Also, some of the web development extensions are very valuable to me.

• User profile image
    ahockley

I primarily use Firefox for two reasons: performance, and tabs.

• User profile image
    sbc

The extensibility and usability of Firefox is what makes it appealing to people. You can extend IE by using ActiveX, but you need to be an administrator to install, and pay for certificates if you are a developer. Plus IE is tied to the OS, so vulnerabilities can have a big effect (even if you do not use it). Firefox vulnarabilities cannot really compromise a whole system, making it unusable (unless there is a flaw in the OS it is installed on). I've not seen any vulneribilities that elevate rights for limited user accounts.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Tabs are less useful in Windows XP because multiple instances of IE collapse into their own taskbar item - sort of "tabs lite"

• User profile image
    Maurits

sbc wrote:
    Firefox vulnarabilities cannot really compromise a whole system, making it unusable

Not true.  Vulnerabilities in any installed software can compromise a whole system.

• User profile image
    sbc

Can you think of any software that compromises a system, without vulnerabilites of the base system being the cause? Firefox is an application on Windows, but IE is a component and tied in, used by many parts.

• User profile image
    DMassy

sbc wrote:
    Can you think of any software that compromises a system, without vulnerabilites of the base system being the cause? Firefox is an application on Windows, but IE is a component and tied in, used by many parts.

Hi sbc,
    Perhaps you can expand on your argument here. Internet Explorer is part of windows and is relied on by parts of the operating system and other applications. However there is no code in Windows that IE calls that cannot also be executed by any other application, with all the Windows APIs documented on MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/
    Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    bsilby

DMassy wrote:
    sbc wrote: Can you think of any software that compromises a system, without vulnerabilites of the base system being the cause? Firefox is an application on Windows, but IE is a component and tied in, used by many parts.

Hi sbc,
    Perhaps you can expand on your argument here. Internet Explorer is part of windows and is relied on by parts of the operating system and other applications. However there is no code in Windows that IE calls that cannot also be executed by any other application, with all the Windows APIs documented on MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/
    Thanks
    -Dave

Good point. Thanks for posting this Dave. It helps clear up one of the "urban myths" about the difference between Firefox and Internet Explorer.

• User profile image
    sbc

I was just wondering if it was actually technically possible for an application, developed by a third party could do damage to a system (i.e. deleting files in the system directory), while the user was logged in as a limited user. I'm thinking more of an application that uses a framework of it's own (i.e. not developed by Microsoft, like XPCOM).

I just think it is better not to rely on just one vendor, as there could be a bigger risk (a vulnerability in IE will effect people if they use Outlook and not IE). Competition helps by reducing prices for consumers and giving malicious individuals/companies a smaller attack vector.

Windows / Internet Explorer's security record is a lot better now than it was pre SP2. That still leaves Windows 2000 and earlier OS's vulnerable (as they doesn't get the XPSP2 features).

Applications should be run in sandbox mode, even if the user is logged on as an administrator. You would then have to approve anything (or have the application pre-approved) that could be damaging (changing registry settings that could effect the OS, like adding items to startup, or modifying files in the system directory).

I expect Longhorn will be a lot more secure than XP.

• User profile image
    DMassy

We certainly advise people to be logged on to their machines as limited rights users rather than admins. At the same time we have to recognise that we need to make it easier for users to actually get their jobs done in this mode. That's certainly a focus of some teams at Microsoft for future versions of the OS.

On the topic of security it is great to hear the feedback that we improved things with Windows XP SP2. We'll probably never be "done" with security as there will always be bad guys out there and we know we have even more work to do Smiley

Thanks
    -Dave 

• User profile image
    Jorgie

the stupid part is the microsoft used to push the MDI (multi document interface) for all windows programs. Then they did a 180 with Offices and now you get a new window with each document. I hate it.

Bring back MDI ability everywhere letting the user do it both ways!

Jorgie

• User profile image
    sbc

I wonder if this site should have an IE forum? Move IE related posts to it and this forum would probably get a lot smaller. Although often threads start off on a different topic and then end up as Firefox v IE (guess what I use Smiley )

• User profile image
    WayneB

Which Microsoft applications are non-mdi? I just opened Excel 2003 and Word 2003, they're both MDI apps.

I think that you're thinking of the Tools->Options->View->Show Windows in Taskbar setting that shows a Windows Taskbar entry for each MDI-child window.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Word 2003 has some special MDI system. It shows each window in the task bar. You can then use the X in the right upper corner or the MDI x (right below the x in the right upper corner) to close that document. I can't see the difference between clicking on the one or the other...

Special behaviour - i have never see this in old standard MDI applications.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.