Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to download Visual Studio 2005 alpha

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    prog_dotnet

Do you need to be a MSDN subscriber?

• User profile image
    jeelz

yeup - as of now u need to be a MSDN subscriber.. guess they r giving away dvd's in DevDays aswell... atleast in India im sure they are...

Jeelz
    -- Build to preform, Architect to evolve --

• User profile image
    Rafa®

MS is doing a lot of things to being closer the developers, but still keep us from easy reaching their Betas... Is that right?

Wouldn't be interesting to have public betas? Because the initiative to be closer to the developers is public... Anyone can participate in the Blogs of the MS-devs... Anyone can come here and talk to MS-guys... And why I can't easly have the Alpha of the product that i'm interested to update when it comes?

If you can distribute the Alpha/Beta CDs/Dvds on the events, why can't we download it from the Web? Can't you have better feedback then that?

Anyways, the betas can be unofficialy download from some sites, p2p networks, and also be bought in piracy... (I saw some selling, but I refuse to buy it, argh!)... Why not "officialize" this "open" alpha/beta?

Thanks guys...
    Rafa®

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

I find your arguments quite convincing. For starters, the .net initiative is a huge undertaking. Not just the technolgy itself, but the pace its delivered.
    Its a competetive advantage to use the bits today, nearly a year before the official release.

Second; java has a stronghold among students, and if Microsoft are going to boost its popularity, the tools of trade should not just be aviable to those who are msdn subsribers or are prevelegied enough to attend one of your dev events.

Third; You should use the foot in the door policy. If a end user first start using a product, and find the tools productive, he/she will more than likely stay with the product line when it comes to renewing the lincense/upgrading.

• User profile image
    lars

I agree. There more people that get to try VS, the more people will learn to love it. And practically force their boss to buy a copy. I can't picture myself working without it.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

I agree and disagree with releasing Visual Studio as a public beta.

Points...

1) Would help further discussion.. more people offering feedback.

2) Would help people who's budget can't afford VS to take part in refining the technology

As some of the other discussion has focused around price and availability, rather than +/- of an open beta..

3) Visual Studio is a very powerful IDE, not the .Net technology. Microsoft GIVES AWAY the compilers.. and they just released the C++ managed compiler. This allows ANYONE to use the technology..

4) There are alternative IDEs with scaled down capabilities of Visual Studio. In some aspects they can be more powerful and helpful in that they are more apt to listen to the "small guys", thus giving developers a chance at seeing their idea be plugged into the IDE. Examples: Sharp Develop, Eclipse, Borland Personal Edition, and many more..

5) Why not use Microsoft incentives? Ever heard of the Empower ISV program? What more could you ask for! A MSDN Universal DVD kit, 5 licenses for Operating Systems, and a kitchen sink (not really) for ~$400.00.. Combine that with the Action Pack.. and you have TONS of software for under $1000.00 total.

Though I use Visual Studio .Net, I started out using Sharp Develop..

Just my $0.02
    Jake

• User profile image
    irascian

Rafa® wrote:

If you can distribute the Alpha/Beta CDs/Dvds on the events, why can't we download it from the Web? Can't you have better feedback then that?

Anyways, the betas can be unofficialy download from some sites, p2p networks, and also be bought in piracy... (I saw some selling, but I refuse to buy it, argh!)... Why not "officialize" this "open" alpha/beta?

Thanks guys...
    Rafa®

Well at the risk of being the only one here, I prefer things the way they are.

Newsgroups for most Microsoft products are already bogged down with appalling "signal to noise" ratio from those too lazy to put in the time to learn their trade, read documentation or even go on a basic programming course. Make the beta more generally available and every "teach myself programming" kid on the block is suddenly filling up the newsgroups with basic "How do I...?" nonsense that could be answered by just doing a quick search on the documentation.

At least by using MSDN or training courses they're ensuring that the beta's go to people who've made some financial commitment to the products and hopefully have some sense of commitment rather than to leap onto their keyboards to complain that something isn't working the way they think it should. 

Anyway if they didn't restrict the goodies to PDC and TechEd there wouldn't be so many people booking lucrative tickets to those events would there? Wink

Presumably Microsoft have beta's to get quality feedback. Give the stuff away and make it easy to copy and the quality of the feedback quickly goes down in my experience.

Let the disagreements commence!

• User profile image
    lars

irascian wrote:

Make the beta more generally available and every "teach myself programming" kid on the block is suddenly filling up the newsgroups

They've already pirated it of P2P. They don't care if it's free or not.

irascian wrote:

At least by using MSDN or training courses they're ensuring that the beta's go to people who've made some financial commitment to the products

Those who can afford should benefit from early access. That's one valid point of view. And it's also one that fuels the open source movement.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    vazz

prog_dotnet wrote:
    If a end user first start using a product, and find the tools productive, he/she will more than likely stay with the product line when it comes to renewing the lincense/upgrading.

I totally agree with this. I use the early access program of JetBrains to try the ReSharper plugin for VS.Net 2003. It is a commercial software but the early access is free for everyone (they do it with all their products). I am so impressed with the product that I would buy it the day it is released.

• User profile image
    SMac

Don't get me wrong, I love the customer preview alpha bits, but the PDC alpha was alot more stable IMHO and didn't conflict with existing VS installs..

you'd think that for a "public" preview MS would go through more extensive testing..

personally, I'll take what I can get of VS2k5 builds.. I'm a developer.. I'll understand if something is broken... Wink ... the public might not be so lenient and some might get a bad taste..

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

1. Let us not blend the terms "end user" and "the public"
    The end user is a developer,studet,and/or other people who find it interesting to develop at the windows platform. Not the public at large.

2. The newsgroups are restricted but open to everyone by using the link below, or use the logon information provided.

The newsgroups listed at the left were set up to discuss Visual Studio 2005 (codename: Whidbey), seek support on the Technology Preview, and interact with the Microsoft Developer Division product team members.  Your feedback is very important to us.   Although we intend to make sure every thread is responded to, please note that due to the large number of recipients excited about this release we cannot guarantee a response.   We hope that you enjoy this sneak peak at Visual Studio 2005.  With your feedback, we seek to make Visual Studio 2005 the best developer tools release ever.

- The Whidbey Development Team

Viewing these Newsgroups with an NNTP Newsreader

Since these are private newsgroups, your server will require you to logon using the following information:

• Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    • Account name: privatenews\VSUser
    • Password: Password
    • Note that the password is case-sensitive.

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=whidbey&slcid=us

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

a little someting about the unofficial download....

the alfa preview has been out on the biggest torrent site since April 4th, and right now there are 63 seeders and 1768 people downloading it.

Any software that is made available to download from the Services ("Software") is the copyrighted work of Microsoft and/or its suppliers. Use of the Software is governed by the terms of the end user license agreement, if any, which accompanies or is included with the Software ("License Agreement"). An end user will be unable to install any Software that is accompanied by or includes a License Agreement, unless he or she first agrees to the License Agreement terms. The Software is made available for download solely for use by end users according to the License Agreement. Any reproduction or redistribution of the Software not in accordance with the License Agreement is expressly prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.

WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, COPYING OR REPRODUCTION OF THE SOFTWARE TO ANY OTHER SERVER OR LOCATION FOR FURTHER REPRODUCTION OR REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, UNLESS SUCH REPRODUCTION OR REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED BY THE LICENSE AGREEMENT ACCOMPANYING SUCH SOFTWARE. THE SOFTWARE IS WARRANTED, IF AT ALL, ONLY ACCORDING TO THE TERMS OF THE LICENSE AGREEMENT. EXCEPT AS WARRANTED IN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT, MICROSOFT CORPORATION HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, MICROSOFT MAY MAKE AVAILABLE AS PART OF THE SERVICES OR IN ITS SOFTWARE PRODUCTS, TOOLS AND UTILITIES FOR USE AND/OR DOWNLOAD. MICROSOFT DOES NOT MAKE ANY ASSURANCES WITH REGARD TO THE ACCURACY OF THE RESULTS OR OUTPUT THAT DERIVES FROM SUCH USE OF ANY SUCH TOOLS AND UTILITIES. PLEASE RESPECT THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF OTHERS WHEN USING THE TOOLS AND UTILITIES MADE AVAILABLE ON THE SERVICES OR IN MICROSOFT SOFTWARE PRODUCTS. RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND.

• User profile image
    sbc

What would happen if this led to even more feedback? Even though it shouldn't have been done it may prove beneficial.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

If you compare to the mp3 scene, people are actually starting buying more records after downloading mp3 from the net.

I think software companies need to step up to the plate and say that our piracy policy have failed.
    The goal is to reduce piracy, but it is just growing and growing..

Just 3 % of the population in Pakistan has a celluar phone...china has less public ip adresses than MIT.
    India, Indonecia, eastern Europe and the rest of Asia.
    The new wireless technology will provide 53 mb at 3 and up kilometers distance from the the access point, and it will be cheep.
    To borrow Sigmund Fruds saying; One have just seen the tip of the iceberg.

There isnt any magic answer, but some creative way of thinking doesnt hurt.

Feedback will ultimatly leed to a more stable build. And also, you wil get a positive spinn on the information provided.
    People who wants the builds will get them one way or another...
    So should it be your way...or the p2p way?

• User profile image
    eagle

You can pick-up a free DVD copy of the March "drop" of Visual Studio.Net if you attened the VB.Net World Tour. But it looks to be just in the USA. Keep your eye open for more developer Events. I downloaded it in 6 hours while I slept.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/worldtour/

• User profile image
    divega

You'd better go to Mark Cliggett's WebLog and give him feedback on this. As you will see in the link, his even thinking about the possibility of changing the license in order to allow P2P distribution. That is, for the next alpha release.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

According to Thomas Kuhn, science does not progress continuously, by gradually extending an established paradigm.
    It proceeds as a series of revolutionary upheavals. The discovery of unreconcilable shortcomings in an established paradigm produces a crisis that may lead to a revolution in which the established paradigm is overthrown and replaced.

1. Valve was the first company on the bandwagon with the adoption of Steam, their distributed publishing application. Now it appears that Blizzard will be adopting BitTorrent as well for its World of the Warcraft beta tests.

http://www.steampowered.com/
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

2. Earlier Lindows, now Lispire, has announced the deployment of P2P servers to distribute commercial software with greater speed and at lower prices.

3. Game maker Atari is going to sell their latest RPG game, entitled "The Temple of Elemental Evil," via the Kazaa software. People can download the demo (843MB) via the online file sharing network after which the game will be playable for free for six hours. After this time period the user can unlock the full game for US $ 49.95:

4. If Microsoft were to play along, it would mark a new eara in the software distribution scene.
    Also contributing to a less strict view of Microsoft at large.
    As noted in the discussion about Microsoft and the future, the company need to evolve to stay ahead of their competitors.
    Its just a question of time, before other big companies will use p2p distribution.
    So why not embrace technology, use it for whats it wort?

• User profile image
    divega

Actually, Microsoft Research has its own P2P story going on. I recommend going to Antony Rowstron's page
    to find out. Besides, I think the Visual Studio team wouldn't mind to use any P2P network for distribution of VS 2005 Alphas as long as the lawyers give them their aproval.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.