Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Microsoft's Website the King of all Websites

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Well i guess as the title really.

At the moment i am trying to download Rational Rose Evaluation from IBM's site.  I mean whats with the Registration stuff.  I hate how Macromedia and IBM and any other company make you register to download stuff from them.  And the IBM website just seems so, ugg weird.  I don't know.

MS can at least produce good sites.

P.S. Can anyone help me get Rational Rose Win Evaluation (Rational Rose Enterprise Evaluation Assembly V2003.06.00 for Windows 2000, NT, XP) from the IBM site?  cd_guy@hotmail.com MSN me

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I agree, I hate logging in just to grab a download. I understand why it's done, and I guess I'd always taken this for granted on other sites...

Still, there's still a lot that could be done on the Microsoft site, mostly in relation to RSS and to standards. Not that I'm a huge 'everything must be standards', but those would be the biggest areas of weakness that I can see. Oh, and search. But, I assume that once the new Microsoft Search engine is done this will be lent to many of the properties.

Still, there's a heck of a lot the Microsoft sites do right.

• User profile image
    sbc

You do need to login to download from GotDotNet. That's why I am glad RSSBandit moved to SourceForge (which IMHO is the best source code repository there is - and covers many platforms and technologies).

• User profile image
    lars

I always have trouble finding my way around at microsoft.com. The navigation design doesn't work for me somehow. But is there another site that can complete with such awsome content? Webcasts. The MSDN Library. The Knowledgebase. It's really a fantastic wealth of (free!) information. IT ROCKS!

I don't get it why some companies still persist in demanding registration. How many people ever leave correct information? Yes, please spam me... I usually put in postmaster@thesitethatdemandsregistration.com and
    leave it to them to filter out their own spam. Smiley

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Jaz

thats a passport site though.  Passport i don't care about, i have hotmail. i'm happy.  if all sites used passport i would be happy

• User profile image
    Manip

I don't know if Microsoft.com is the best, it is quiet good though.. I like 'Windows Update', it is so much better than what we had before.

I agree, I'm so sick of having to register for a 'free account' to do anything and everything now. I mean it costs them money (to run the database / hard disk space etc etc) and there not getting money out of me anyway so what is the point? I can understand it with forums and things, but for me to be able to download a file / read a tutorial / read an article  COME ON!

• User profile image
    Knute

But then they would not have your info to sell to the spammers Wink

~ Knute

• User profile image
    sbc

Is that why it is called Windows Update? It updates the spam list automatically Wink SpamDows Update

• User profile image
    lucisandor

Right after the aquisition, the Rational FTP server allowed anonymous downloads. That might be a lead.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Jaz wrote:
    MS can at least produce good sites.

I have to disagree with that statement. Microsoft.com is not well coded. Although I'm sure that the templates make it easy to ignore that fact.

Although I must say that the presentation is nice.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.