Is there too many Windows version?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ACT10Npack

Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional Edition
    Windows XP Media Center
    Windows XP Starter Edition
    Windows Servers 2003(whole list under that products)
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Windows Mobile Devices (whole list under that products)

I believe Microsoft is releasing to many different products which I think its not that important and makes it more confussing on people. Do you think I'm wrong or what? Would like to you what you think about all the different products that is under Windows now. I remember when Windows 98 was out there was that and Windows NT and that was it.

• User profile image
    Rocky Moore

I totally agree!  Some have argued, why pay for features you are not going to use.  To me it is just complicating the market for the end user anding confusion they do not need.  I believe they should be molding into a Server version, client version (including media and tablet functionality) and a mobile version. 

That is just my thoughts Wink

Rocky Moore
    www.HintsAndTips.com
    www.RockyMoore.com

• User profile image
    eagle

There's too many versions of Linux!

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:
    There's too many versions of Linux!

Not being picky (well actually..) but you mean too many Linux distros, with Linux of course refering to the Kernel itself - currently at 2.6.something

Luckily there are only 2 versions of OSX, normal and server.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Rossj wrote:
    Not being picky (well actually..) but you mean too many Linux distros, with Linux of course refering to the Kernel itself - currently at 2.6.something

Luckily there are only 2 versions of OSX, normal and server.
    There's too many versions of the Linux kernel... there's too many point-updates to OSX... Smiley

• User profile image
    warren

ACT10Npack wrote:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional Edition
    Windows XP Media Center
    Windows Servers 2003(whole list under that products)
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Windows Mobile Devices (whole list under that products)

I believe Microsoft is releasing to many different products which I think its not that important and makes it more confussing on people. Do you think I'm wrong or what? Would like to you what you think about all the different products that is under Windows now. I remember when Windows 98 was out there was that and Windows NT and that was it.

Consumers don't have to make a choice of one of the 12 or so different current releases of Windows.  People buying personal computers in most countries have two choices:  Home or Professional.  This is an easy choice to make -- if you're going to connect your home PC to a business network, or want remote access, get Pro.  Otherwise, get Home... at no point does Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows Server 2003, or ANY other Windows OS come into the decision process.

You mention Windows 98 and "NT".  I remind you that there were *four* editions of NT 4:  Workstation, Server, Enterprise, and Terminal Server.   x86 AND DEC Alpha versions.  In addition to all that, there was also Windows NT 4.0 Embedded and Windows CE.  There were several versions of CE for different processor architectures.

I'm sorry, but your contention about how there were fewer Windows products back in 1998 is simply not true.

• User profile image
    xero05

No. I don't think that there are too many versions of Windows. The more versions we have for this generation of Operating Systems means more compatibility. More compatibility means more happy people. Different Operating System versions allow you to maximize the potential of your system's architecture.

Xero

• User profile image
    Manip

There aren’t really that many.. If I break down your list a little -

Bottom:

Lower/Mid:
    Windows XP Home Edition            32/64bit

Mid:
    Windows XP Professional Edition    32/64bit

Special Purpose:
    Windows XP Media Centre

(Why did you list Windows Servers 2003? You can't do that plus all the other XPs. You have to say too many versions of _WHAT_?)

(As Windows Mobile Devices and the XP range don't run on the same platform it isn't relevant.)

• User profile image
    jamie

well - in the Longhorn world.. there will be:

- many versions of it - real estate version, medical version, manufacturing version

there will also be many many more flavours - such as:

totally empty base install

add components that you need

and supposedly - pay for what you choose - the less features the lower the price

i could be - and hope - that im completely wrong here

but from the video scenarios on ms.com and all the services talk - seems we will be looking at more versions - rather than less versions

although - its really all back to ONE version.. so thats good Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther"

Completely new. Uniquely Macintosh.
    Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther" contains over 150 new features and provides significant enhancements to its modern, UNIX-based foundation. Panther includes iChat AV for personal video conferencing, Expose for instantly finding any window, and a new Finder for easy access to everything you need. It's like having an all-new Mac.

Price
    $129.00

why cant we have one windows - for 99 bucks ( ok ok 120) that does what pro and media centre does - available everywhere

• User profile image
    jamie

i liked your earlier strategy of all in one

i fear longhorn will be a confusing mishmash of paid services - like lic 6

• User profile image
    jamie

Beer28 wrote:
    jamie wrote: i liked your earlier strategy of all in one

i fear longhorn will be a confusing mishmash of paid services - like lic 6

You'd think that as a resident of Canada you'd be used to getting ripped off by now.

The gas stations rip us off, the stores charge %50 over US retail after the exchange rate. A freaking big mac combo is like $6.00 at McDonalds and our income tax is like 75%.

The $500 winXP pro pics you posted are BS. That's what they do to Canadians, and people here are stupid enough to just take it.

That's why I used to order OEM stuff online and used ebay before I switched to free software. You can get win for like $50 OEM.

its worth it - canada rocks Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

i still want one windows for one simple price that has everything

lets call it.... windows sampy
    haha

* should say Microsoft Windows: FEATURING Explorer

** Next up: Scoble Communication server haha

• User profile image
    jamie

LOL hahahaha

* 99 bucks?  sold

( the real concept is:  young faces on ms boxes - cool kids for now software ( nick Lowe: Pure pop for now people)

so imagine a shelf of ms software - ( yes they have stopped doing this...??????) but if there was one - all the boxes could have a different cool ms dev on them - like zepplins in through the out door different covers

..although it wouldnt say sampy.. just microsoft windows

no dates
    no years
    no names

just windows

like explorer... no internet - just explorer - one thing - part of windows like you always said

• User profile image
    jamie

well..i still prefer this one:

but heck if sampy windows is 99 bucks...

• User profile image
    jamie

you must have a dirty mind... shes just "relaxing" listening to "win media"

Wink

** maybe for Windows Mobile at least

• User profile image
    jamie

in regards to "sampy"
    err that was a joke (ark ark-mork)..

it just sometimes seems hes the most real and honest poster on c9 from the ms side

maybe he'll get fired
    hope not

nice to see a fresh - open - real - honest - face on ms

(charles, robert, jonathan .. you guys are cool too, but as youre in charge here - there's no way around the "auto"-authority associated with your posts)

nice to read posts from a more humble ms'er who actually ASKED if we wanted to hear his opinions
    ..and i for one .. do. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

Beer28 wrote:

"activate your freedom" instantly made me think of stallman's new year's article.
    If he had his way it would read, "palladium, activate your enslavement"

nobody take that the wrong way.

the activate your freedom idea was a way to sell activation

its in channel 9 search for it

of course there's also the new billg gizmodo interview part 4 - where he re-discusses his commie comments

his whole spin is - but what about the bits - its just bits - comparing those bits to medical records

so to bill - drm - is nothing more than making sure it is there - for anyone to use or not use

activate your freedom is the marketing around that

its just bits

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.