Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Explorer 7.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

- -easy one click access between My Computer and "Internet"

That incorporates local/web search that it is sensible/invisible to the user

that's all i got so far...

* "Internet Explorer" comments please use different thread

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I don't know if it's such a wise idea, especially from a security standpoint, to blur the line between what's local and what's Internet more than it already is.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Removal of ANY web-browsing or HTML rendering component from the Shell

Windows Explorer is NOT a web-browser

Bring back the old-style Windows 3.11 File Manager.... (essentially explorer w/ directory tree, but lets you have two different views w/ trees at once)

A "Find in files" feature that actually works (I was searching for a typo in some of my *.vb source files the other day when I couldn't be bothered to boot VS, and whilst I knew the word was in one of them, Explorer failed to find it)

Kill the dog! Kill the dog! Kill the dog!

Stop the Start Button!

The Start Button and Start Menu are HCI nightmares, I hate it...  Can you PLEASE develop an alternative.... right now I'm so dissastisifed with the start button that I invoke programs straight off the taskbar, its faster and MUCH simpler than the "Start" Menu, so can you PLEASE rid the world of this monstrosity?

• User profile image
    sbc

Have a sidebar, like Desktop Sidebar. Make it task orientated, rather than application orientated (Write Letter, Compose Email, Play Game etc). Most important make it easy for third party applications to be run for each task (and not have Microsoft applications use undocumented API's that give them an unfair advantage of the competition).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Being a "pro" user, the "task oritentated" UI concept isn't for me. Neither is the "desktop" paradgym.

The "task based" UI is too slow and unwieldy, although it has the potential to be good, the developers of the apps I use would never really integrate it.

...Considering that Nullsoft doesn't exist anymore Wink

When I want to do something, I invoke the program I want to do that task, rather than let the OS do it for me, "simple programs for simple tasks", I don't want a behemoth, "do it all" app such as MS Outlook (well Outlook is pretty good, but you know where I'm coming from)

Here's my app/use lineup:

Internet = Firefox
    Email = Thunderbird
    IM = Windows Messenger
    Gaming = Steam
    Media = WinAMP 2.91
    Dev = Studio MX / VS

When I see these apps integrated into the shell, I'll think about it

But that just isn't going to happen....

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

sbc wrote:
    Have a sidebar, like Desktop Sidebar.

Yes! For Longhorn (this can also be an update to XP/03) get rid of that crappy sidebar and put in DesktopSidebar - the best sidebar ever.

DS is great Smiley
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sidebars don't work for me, I've got a dual-monitor setup, its either on the left.... not where its meant to be, or on the right, but then its too far away and on my secondary

• User profile image
    jamie

Sven Groot wrote:
    I don't know if it's such a wise idea, especially from a security standpoint, to blur the line between what's local and what's Internet more than it already is.

but MS already did this..but forgot to make an easy switch button. Sure you just type a URL to change explorer into IE - but its the same thing with 2 names

I think the same thing - called the same thing - with easy access between Local and web makes more sence

How many times have you wanted to hit "Home" ( google or whatever you have) from My Computer - only to have to type it - or minimize and lauch ie

Also - its currently Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer

Should it not be Windows Internet Explorer - as IE is a "technology of Windows"?

leading to Windows File Explorer?

it just makes no sence - and the IE brand - the cool E is just too dated now - and reminds me of Netscape era

Re;  "Windows Explorer is NOT a web-browser"

Yes it is though - It Explores files - local or web

so the name should just be Explorer = simple

Explorer KILLS Firefox
    no more IE ie; IE Wink

• User profile image
    sbc

W3bbo wrote:

When I want to do something, I invoke the program I want to do that task, rather than let the OS do it for me, "simple programs for simple tasks", I don't want a behemoth, "do it all" app such as MS Outlook (well Outlook is pretty good, but you know where I'm coming from)

I prefer having simple programs that can easily be extended (like Firefox). Currently too many applications seem to add more and more features, which make them complicated to use and a bit 'bloated' and expensive. They should be as simple to use as possible, and any additional features you can buy, develop, or download. Eclipse is another good example of a simple product that is very extensible (not that I use it as I do ASP.NET development, not Java).

Just think of all those features that you get in Word that people don't even use (or know about, because they are not always obvious). People often end up buying a product that doesn't end up being good value for money (they spend £/$X00 and only write letters).

I may not really use a task based system either, but for those unfamiliar, or less skilled with computers it is a good way of doing things.

• User profile image
    Jaz

Jamie, i suppose you could always add the Home button to My Computer.

• User profile image
    AndyD

W3bbo wrote:

Stop the Start Button!

The Start Button and Start Menu are HCI nightmares, I hate it...  Can you PLEASE develop an alternative.... right now I'm so dissastisifed with the start button that I invoke programs straight off the taskbar, its faster and MUCH simpler than the "Start" Menu, so can you PLEASE rid the world of this monstrosity?

I believe that they actually did develop something other than the start button a fair few years ago. Unfortuanly seeing as MS spent who knows how much money on promoting Windows having the start button the marketing department wouldn't let them replace it; remember when 95 was launched the start button was the central idea. Now whether this is true or not I don't know - anyone from MS want to confirm or deny this?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.