Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's after Beta 2 (of vs.net 2005) ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

Sampy says that he doesn't have to do much anymore (for now), Visual Studio teams (with pink hair) trying to implement the ZeroBug feature. Other blogs are telling about a security push that last 6 weeks and after that a external security team with security experts are going to review the code again until March.

So I ask myself: what's left to do after that beta 2 release? I don't think that Vs.net 2002 got so much attention before going RTM, and now we are still talking about beta 2!

• User profile image
    jonathanh

What's left is fixing bugs! If I recall correctly, beta 2 will be the first release that the VS team will call "production ready". So they'll want to get a lot of feedback from people using it for production code, to flush out any remaining bugs. After that there's typically a "release candidate", where they fix all the important reported bugs, and then wait for more feedback to see if they introduced any new ones. Only then will it be released to manufacturing (RTM).

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Is the public really going to find so many bugs that 'justifies' the release of an RC1 after the code reviews? The vs.net teams are already using it themself for production code. They should be the first to find the deepest bugs (and the most obvious ones too of course).

Which extra tests are going to be done before RTM?

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Heck, I'm using it in production code Smiley  But any particular team will only use it in one particular way. You want a widespread production beta because it's only when you get a lot of people using it that you've got a good chance of exposing most bugs.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Hopefully we will be able to see how many bugs for beta 2 will be submitted on the feedback center.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.