Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

xp 64-bit

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • brian.​shapiro

I was wondering if any of you knew when Windows xp 64-bit edition would be released. Microsoft's website says the first half of 2005, but I was hoping someone here knew something more specific.

Also, I just recently bought two new hardware devices, a Canon scanner and a Seagate hdd.. they are both newly released products... do you think they would have drivers that work with the 64-bit os?

My situation is my notebook just broke down and I don't have a warranty. So I am considering buying a 64-bit notebook, because I want it to last for a long time (ready for Longhorn), and it will for me serve as a desktop replacement since I don't plan to have a desktop computer. I know you need a 64-bit os to take advantage of the speeds in the processor, which is why I'm asking. Is it worth getting 64-bit?

thank you

brian.shapiro

• brian.​shapiro

so, eagle, should the hardware I mentioned work? I just bought it--Canon CanoScan LiDE 80 , and Seagate portable external 100gb hdd. I don't want to start using 64 bit xp if they don't work with it.

and, when is the final version released? do you know something more specific than 'first half of 2005'

.also i know that 64 bit processors are usually sold with lower Ghz than 32 bit processors, how can i tell which are equivalent in terms of speed

• eagle

Yes, AMD 64 rocks!
    True Microsoft has not given AMD the love it deserves; I have been waiting 16 months for Windows XP 64 Edition!!!!

The Beta works well, it’s XP after all. 

AMD told me in June that we soon would have 64bit laptops that you could link to a 64bit desktop via Hyper Transport so you would have a dual 64bit developers dream machine, but I haven’t seen one yet!

Forget scannes and printers unless you have a network.

• eagle

Drivers are the big catch and we can't realy blame Microsoft! Go to their manufactures websites and look to see if they have drivers, but I don't think they will...

I use a dual boot with Windows XP Pro and Windows XP 64 Edition Beta

Second half of '05 is all that's said, I was told they pulled all the developers off XP64 to finish XP SP2.

AMD 64, AMD 64-FX and AMD 64 Mobile are all very fast!

That Seagate portable external 100gb hd should work fine with P&P, but printers and scanners go to the manufactures website and look for the drivers, good luck!

I build my AMD 64-FX machine in 9/04 and used the first Windows 64 Edition beta for 360 days!

Also my machine can run up to 16gigs of RAM, but nobody makes a Motherboard that will hold that many dimms!

• sbsummer

eagle wrote:
    Drivers are the big catch and we can't realy blame Microsoft! Go to their manufactures websites and look to see if they have drivers, but I don't think they will...

I use a dual boot with Windows XP Pro and Windows XP 64 Edition Beta

Second half of '05 is all that's said, I was told they pulled all the developers off XP64 to finish XP SP2.

AMD 64, AMD 64-FX and AMD 64 Mobile are all very fast!

That Seagate portable external 100gb hd should work fine with P&P, but printers and scanners go to the manufactures website and look for the drivers, good luck!

I build my AMD 64-FX machine in 9/04 and used the first Windows 64 Edition beta for 360 days!

Also my machine can run up to 16gigs of RAM, but nobody makes a Motherboard that will hold that many dimms!

• Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• eagle

Did you go to the Route64 Training Tour?

• ThomasAesir

Shmuelpro wrote:

It is defiantly worth every penny if you are planning to use it fully.

64bit is especially good if you are doing 3D stuff like Maya, play games with great graphics or video they all will become faster and look better.

Well Maya isn't out a as 64bit program so it wouldn't make all that much difference. With any luck the next Maya upgrade should be around May and i'm hoping it will be 64bit.

Lightwave now has a 64bit version.

• Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• ThomasAesir

Shmuelpro wrote:

First of all 64bit will increase efficiency by at least 20% in 32Bit apps that’s at least what was told at the conference and shown with Maya and Flight Simulator and the output was extraordinary!!!

No I don’t think it was Route64 Training Tour at least from what I understood.

Hmmm do they mean that a 64-bit cpu will run a 32-bit app with 20% more efficiency or that Windows XP 64 will run the 32-bit app more efficiently?

It would be fantastic if Windows XP 64 was 20% more efficient than the current Windows XP 32.

• DonnyEMU

I have two amd athlon 64 machines, a laptop and I am very happy with the performance.  I didn't get to go to the Route64 Training Tour because they didn't have one in Detroit (apparently I am the only one here with a 64 bit CPU Wink  Anyway, I have tried the preview of WinXP x64 and I am quite happy with the performance. It's quite inline with expectations.

I keep wondering if some ambitious 3rd party is gonna  create some add-on emulation to allow 16 bit apps run  in some kind of compatibility mode under 64-bit windows.  While I aplaud wholeheartedly Microsoft's decision not to try to support 16-bit code, I think a 3rd party could find this a money maker. Not that I can think of an app from those days  that I actually miss using (well I guess maybe one, AutoDesk Animator Studio).

Even with things still in the early I don't think I will want to leave 64-bit to go back to a 32 bit cpu anytime soon..

-Don

• DonnyEMU

I have two amd athlon 64 machines, a laptop and I am very happy with the performance.  I didn't get to go to the Route64 Training Tour because they didn't have one in Detroit (apparently I am the only one here with a 64 bit CPU Wink  Anyway, I have tried the preview of WinXP x64 and I am quite happy with the performance. It's quite inline with expectations.

I keep wondering if some ambitious 3rd party is gonna  create some add-on emulation to allow 16 bit apps run  in some kind of compatibility mode under 64-bit windows.  While I aplaud wholeheartedly Microsoft's decision not to try to support 16-bit code, I think a 3rd party could find this a money maker. Not that I can think of an app from those days  that I actually miss using (well I guess maybe one, AutoDesk Animator Studio).

Even with things still in the early I don't think I will want to leave 64-bit to go back to a 32 bit cpu anytime soon..

-Don

PS does anyone know where I might find the "Visual Studio 64-bit prequisites beta (AMD64) " 

• eagle

Microsoft has, it's called the;
    Program Compatibility Wizard

If you must use a 16bit program give it a try, you will find it in System Tools on Windows XP.

• brian.​shapiro

Dear Mr. Shapiro,

Thank you for your inquiry.

At this time, Canon has no plans to develop a driver for 64-bit
    operating systems.  We recommend checking www.canontechsupport.com for
    any updates to this.  I am sorry for any trouble caused by this.

Please let us know if you need further assistance with this issue by
    replying to this message and including the email history.  This will
    allow us to respond more quickly and accurately to your inquiry.

Thank you for contacting Canon.

Sincerely,

Devin
    Product Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via e-mail.
    If your question remains unanswered after you have received this e-mail,
    the direct assistance of a Canon telephone support representative may be
    required.  To ensure your issue is resolved promptly, Canon has
    established a special toll-free priority support telephone number that
    is available exclusively for e-mail support customers with unresolved
    issues.  If you would like to speak to a support representative, dial
    1-866-261-9362.   Please note that this number is accessible for thirty
    days from the date of your e-mail.  After thirty days, any calls to
    customer support should be made to the phone number in your user manual.

If you prefer to continue to communicate via e-mail, reply to this
    message and we will respond to your message as quickly as possible,
    which is normally within 24 hours.

Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------

First Name: Brian
    Last Name: Shapiro
    Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Phone:
    Question:
    I recently bought a CanoScan LiDE 80. I'm concerned though about whether
    there will be 64-bit drivers out by the time Windows XP 64-bit edition
    is released, so I can use it with that OS. Is Canon committed to
    releasing 64-bit drivers?

• eagle

What did you expect from Canon? Canon is not a software company, but here is an opportunity for an enterprising coder to contract with Canon and create the drivers.

• m_weimer

eagle,

can you point me toward how to set up dual boot with xp pro (standard 32bit) and Xp pro 64bit?  Much appreciated!

• Nill

If you already have XP pro installed, all you need to do is have a free partition or another harddrive to install the OS to.  When the install runs it will show you all the drives and partitions that are on your system, select the one you want to install to and it will format it and do the install.  The OS will set up the boot.ini on the primary partition so when you boot up you will see the OS's listed and be given 30 seconds to choose which one you want to boot.  XP64 will set itself up as the default boot OS, but you can edit the boot.ini in notepad to make XP pro the default if you like.
    If you do not have a free partion or a second hard drive, you can use a program like partition magic to repartition your existing partion into two (using the available free space on the drive).  I highly recommend using another drive if possible, as XP64 is beta, the only upgrade path is to wipe the partion and reinstall if things don't work.
    You can also use a third-party boot manager.  Lots of folks like lilo (a linux boot manager) but I use Bootit NG found here:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
    Here is MicroSoft's KB article on Dual booting XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&sd=tech
    You can do a google and find quite a few sites that have step by step guides with notes and warnings about what to expect and what can go wrong. 

• eagle

There will be a conflict if you try to install a second copy of Windows XP, what I do is install a copy of Windows Server 2003 (either a NFR or trial version) and use it as if it was Windows XP.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.