Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

name suggestion: Windows 6

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

It would make sense to name the release of Longhorn 'Windows 6' (or some variant, like 'Windows Release 6') since it will be both released in 2006 and be Windows version 6.0 .

And this might be smart, since if its Windows 6, they could choose on the next version whether to make it based on the year or on the version number, since it would fit with the numbering either way. Or, even still, they could from then on decide to make the versions a shortened version of the year, so for 2008 have Windows 8.

(I don't think it will confuse people that MacOS is 10 and Windows is 6, I heard this criticism, but I don't think its important)

brian.shapiro

• User profile image
    eagle

If it’s released on June 6 they can call it Windows 666.  

• User profile image
    Manip

Clearly none of you work in marketing...

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Manip.

I don't work in marketing, but I'm very aware of marketing. I don't think any of the other suggestions are good. Some people suggest "Windows NG", which to me sounds dumb, "xp" is more soft first of all, and if they continue with two letters for several versions it will be strangely cryptic. Calling it "Windows 2006" doesn't distinguish it enough. I don't think they want to include "Longhorn" in the final name, especially since most people don't know what that is. I think even tough "Windows 6" may sound at first too boring, I think its the best way to market it, to both distinguish it and keep it non-pretentious. And I think consumers will understand this, they aren't that dumb and don't need anything fancy. And if "Windows 6" is advertised everywhere, people will know its a big new thing, because they have an older version of Windows and "6" announces something new, and will want to get it. (I don't think "2006" does this well, if it sounds like thers a Windows for every year who knows if its big. It is also i think, despite common sense, more boring than "6"). And no, I think changing the name from "Windows" to something else will be a stupid decision especially since theres nothing better to name it. "Windows.NET" would confuse people. So thats why I think its the best for marketing. It might be confusing just because Windows has previously used years and two letters (which is Microsoft's fault) but the year will be 2006, so it will all fit. I think Apple can only call revisions of OSX things like 'Tiger' and 'Panther'--the major release had to be called 'X' ('10') to make sense in selling it. Whats your suggestion?

brian.shapiro

• User profile image
    gman

brian.shapiro wrote:
    It would make sense to name the release of Longhorn 'Windows 6' (or some variant, like 'Windows Release 6') since it will be both released in 2006 and be Windows version 6.0 .

Ummm............. NO

• User profile image
    Manip

brian.shapiro wrote:
    I think even tough "Windows 6" may sound at first too boring,

There, proved my point for me. When you market something there _is_ only one thought, that being the very first thought. 

brian.shapiro wrote:
    I think its the best way to market it, to both distinguish it and keep it non-pretentious.

I have never thought of any Windows version name (XP, ME, 2000 etc etc) as pretentious or distinguished. They are rather generic and pre the release rather meaningless (Which is the point I assume - name and product ARE one, there is no other meaning). 

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Manip,

I think it sounds the most boring among computer enthusiasts who are thinking up names to make it sound cool. "You can't just call it Windows 6!" I think it would fly perfectly for the public.

Anyway, what name do you think it should have?

• User profile image
    Manip

I am not just going to throw a name out I thought about for 30 seconds .. It would day days or weeks to look at all the options and consider what might be best.

All I know is - 'Windows 6' - just sounds very wrong. It also makes it sound more techey (sp?) than some of the other names that you called 'dumbed down' .. And I say that from a techy POV.

I wouldn't name anything I wrote something like that let alone a multi-bil/trillion dollar corp.

PS I'm 99.999% sure that it will not be called Windows 2006, Microsoft always pre-registers the domain names and currently that domain is held by a lane advert company.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

6.0 would sound techy, i dont think 6 does.

but anyway theyre going to have this problem every time they come up with a new version of Windows. i don't thinking continuing two letter combinations will work. and i dont think naming major versions with codenames will work either. i pointed out OS X couldn't have started out just being called 'tiger'. and new software versions cant be named like car models, its a fundamentally different thing.

I really don't see where else they could go.

though there is always the problem that version numbers have, when you get to high numbers.

its just a hard problem

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Manip wrote:
    PS I'm 99.999% sure that it will not be called Windows 2006, Microsoft always pre-registers the domain names and currently that domain is held by a lane advert company.

It's not like Microsoft can't buy the website off the company. Or if they want to they can buy the company itself. Mind you if they called it Windows 2006 I would have to punch someone who works at Microsoft. Come on Microsoft, you can be more creative than that.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

...'Windows fx' is the best suggestion among the two letter names. i dont know if theyd use that though

It would make sense also if they named in consideration with what was important in the new version (such as internet integration in 98), but I don't think that would lead to good names. if anything two letter short names would have to represent that best like 'xp' for experiences or 'fx'.

And I think 'Longhorn' really wouldn't work, people would wonder what it was and would make jokes about it.

It might also work if they named it after the interface (which will generally have a short, catchy name like 'aqua', 'aero' or 'luna'), which would in this case be 'Windows aero' (i think lowercase 'a' is better).

but I still don't think 'Windows 6' is too techy, and maybe people have to get used to the fact that it will become dificult finding new names for versions and differentiating chronologically between versions based on the names

brian.shapiro

• User profile image
    sbsummer

brian.shapiro wrote:
    Manip.

I don't work in marketing, but I'm very aware of marketing. I don't think any of the other suggestions are good. Some people suggest "Windows NG", which to me sounds dumb, "xp" is more soft first of all, and if they continue with two letters for several versions it will be strangely cryptic. Calling it "Windows 2006" doesn't distinguish it enough. I don't think they want to include "Longhorn" in the final name, especially since most people don't know what that is. I think even tough "Windows 6" may sound at first too boring, I think its the best way to market it, to both distinguish it and keep it non-pretentious. And I think consumers will understand this, they aren't that dumb and don't need anything fancy. And if "Windows 6" is advertised everywhere, people will know its a big new thing, because they have an older version of Windows and "6" announces something new, and will want to get it. (I don't think "2006" does this well, if it sounds like thers a Windows for every year who knows if its big. It is also i think, despite common sense, more boring than "6"). And no, I think changing the name from "Windows" to something else will be a stupid decision especially since theres nothing better to name it. "Windows.NET" would confuse people. So thats why I think its the best for marketing. It might be confusing just because Windows has previously used years and two letters (which is Microsoft's fault) but the year will be 2006, so it will all fit. I think Apple can only call revisions of OSX things like 'Tiger' and 'Panther'--the major release had to be called 'X' ('10') to make sense in selling it. Whats your suggestion?

brian.shapiro

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

brian.shapiro wrote:
    ...'Windows fx' is the best suggestion among the two letter names. i dont know if theyd use that though

It would make sense also if they named in consideration with what was important in the new version (such as internet integration in 98), but I don't think that would lead to good names. if anything two letter short names would have to represent that best like 'xp' for experiences or 'fx'.

I don't think they would choose that. Since fx also stands for Firefox. 'Windows Firefox' the Open Source users would joke (as well as Closed Source users). I like the idea of naming it either just 'Windows' or something completely different from Windows, like Doors Smiley I think we will be completely shocked as to what the name will be, something that no one in the public suggested, like Windows Infinity or something like that ("oh no someone in the public suggested it!" That won't be the nes OS's name then.")

How about not naming the OS at all?
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Loadsgood wrote:
    completely different from Windows, like Doors Smiley

Nifty Doorways?

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Manip wrote:
    Clearly none of you work in marketing...

I thought you were a student?  Suddenly your a marketing expert?

The whole naming software after the year is just stupid.  It's the worse marketing gimmick that forces non-techy users to update a perfectly good product just because they fear it is literally out of date. 

Ever since 2000 everything including songs, albums and even household products have been named with the year attached.  I wish this fad would just die!  If you want people to continue to buy your products make good products and then improve upon them the next go around.  Don't trick them into thinking there is an expiration on the software's quality just because the year has changed. 

The high school mentality of having the newest, lasest "thing" to be cool has entered the computer market and it drives me crazy.  Stop fooling people into thinking a computer more than a year old is inferior, that the newest software is the best when it does the same exact thing as the previous version and stop complaining about competition if you don't think that everyone can't play in the sandbox too!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Blkbam wrote:
    Ever since 2000

Longer even. Windows 95, remember? Fifa 96?

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Sven Groot wrote:
    Blkbam wrote: Ever since 2000

Longer even. Windows 95, remember? Fifa 96?

Those I thought of.  Sports I can understand (including video games) because that's how things are reffered with repect to its genre (ie seasons, stats, etc.). 

The Win95/98 time period is a little different.  Not many software products used the year in the name (outside of MS that is, Office comes to mind).  Other manufacturers used just the numbered version in the name which to me is ok but I don't like that too much either. 

I don't think the title of the product should be the sum of it's name and version number.  From a marketing POV I can see how it sets each product apart but that is what the version number if for.  Of all the products (cars, computers, clothes, etc.) that get produced in a yearly time period or more don't include the year in it's name to distinguish it from the previous model.

• User profile image
    nlinus

I've got it.  Name the OS Windows 6: Corbett.  People can call it Corbett for short.  It'd be named after Jim Corbett.

("The Indo-Chinese tiger, or Panthera tigris corbetti, is named after the great Jim Corbett, the most famous tiger hunter in all Asia." - http://www.5tigers.org/AllAboutTigers/Basics/Travel/morrisey.htm)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.