Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Activesync setup problems

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jerry_

Hi people,

i've download the lastest version activesync and when  i run setup, it freezes and won't continue.
    according to various help site, i delete the 0 byte inf files in the c:/windows/inf folder and ran setup.exe on its own (through defining the temp folder). also i try to run the setup in safe mode with networking.
    any ideas people?
    Jerry

• User profile image
    IanD

I had the same problem.
    It turned out to be a task running causing the install not to run
    I think it was the MS antispyware that was locking it.
    Try ending some tasks and see if it kicks in, it worked for me

then when its installed reboot and it should all be ok

Hope this helps

Ian

• User profile image
    PeterF

Hi Jerry

Leave it "freezing" for a couple of minutes. I remember being in a hurry installing ActiveSync a couple of years ago, and spent hours installing it because I thought after a minute that the setup hung and I terminated the process. After letting it freeze for a couple of minutes the setup came back to life again.

Have you unplugged the PocketPC and closed Outlook?

Peter

• User profile image
    eagle

Jerry isn’t giving as much information as he appears to be getting.

So we assume Pocket PC, but maybe it’s a phone, we assume he has Windows XP, but you never know…? 

He could be running five programs at the same time, he might not have the device hooked-up….

ActiveSync has been "funny" in the past (I had no problem with 3.8), but so are people.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm running 3.7, works for me fine

Best practice for installing apps rebooting and entering windows under Administrator, installing the app, then rebooting back into your normal account.

But it helps not to have anything open when you install software, even more when the software involves hardware... so stuff like Office is fine, but not stuff like a kernal-mode driver for yor LTP port, for example

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Let's hope they release ActiveSync 4 soon.

• User profile image
    PeterF

I expect not until WM2005 comes out. Likely I'll switch from the trusty old HP5450 to a more decently sized smartphone. Let's hope some manufacturer comes with a sweetspot hardware mixture with Wireless, Bluetooth, GPS, biometrics, VGA screen (if possible) and synchronisation with Media Center or even act as an extender around the house Wink

Oh, and a long lasting battery time if still possible Tongue Out

Peter

edit: did I actually forget that I also should be able to make long phone calls with it without running out of battery? Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm still using my HP Jornada from 2001 still, does everything I need to... PIM, AvantGo, 60 minutes of music...

I do, however, intend buying a new one soon, the battery life has shortened and the backlight gotten dimmer. It's got a passive-matrix screen, after playing around with a friend's iPaq, there's no way I'm going back Smiley

• User profile image
    jerry_

hi people,

Sorry, maybe i should have put more info (and check the msg )

Problem: Activesync 3.8 fail to install
    Machine+OS: XP SP2 on IBM T40 Laptop (on a admin mode)
    Device: iPaq rx3400
    Program running at the background: since i have ran setup on a cold boot - only pre-run applications are running, they include: Symantec Antivirus Corp, Zonealarm, google desktop sevice
    PS ms antispy startup service is disable

Notes: 'fresh' install - because i just brought the device, i haven;t plug the device into the computer yet nor i haven't install previous version of activesync

Solution:
    1) waited for setup to finish but it freeze and wouldn;t load
    2) delete 0 byte inf files in C:/windows/inf
    3) located the temp setup files and try to run setup.exe as standalone but again it wouldn;t load
    4) start the computer in safe mode with networking, located setup.exe via temp folder - the setup runs but freeze during 92% and wouldn't continue

thanks

• User profile image
    eagle

Plug in the device to your USB port, then XP P&P will say "found new hardware", then he will ask for software, try installing Activesync then.

• User profile image
    PeterF

The installation pause can sometimes take more than 5 minutes. Run setup before going to bed and check the result in the morning.

Peter

• User profile image
    jerry_

PeterF wrote:
    The installation pause can sometimes take more than 5 minutes. Run setup before going to bed and check the result in the morning.

Peter

i know they call windows setup slow, but this is a very weird idea!

• User profile image
    eagle

There is something "weird" going on here...

• User profile image
    Geoff_From_​Glenside

I have experienced the same problem on two different computers.  Here is how I fixed the problem.

1. Download the most current version of activesync and save it on your hard drive.  Make sure the device is not connected to the computer.
    2.  Reboot the computer and start up in Safe Mode with Networking.
    3.  Log in as Administrator
    4.  Run the program MSASYNC.EXE you downloaded.
    It will copy files and then stop.
    5.  Use ALT CTR DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Got to the process tab.
    6.  End the task MSASYNC.EXE
    7.  End the task Setup  -- leave is_setup alone.
    The install process will then continue.  It may halt for a minute around 92% but should then continue.

Like I said this worked on both of my computers.  Don't know if it would work without going into safe mode  -- ran out of computers to test this on.

Best,
    Geoff

• User profile image
    jerry_

Geoff_From_Glenside wrote:
    I have experienced the same problem on two different computers.  Here is how I fixed the problem.

1. Download the most current version of activesync and save it on your hard drive.  Make sure the device is not connected to the computer.
    2.  Reboot the computer and start up in Safe Mode with Networking.
    3.  Log in as Administrator
    4.  Run the program MSASYNC.EXE you downloaded.
    It will copy files and then stop.
    5.  Use ALT CTR DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Got to the process tab.
    6.  End the task MSASYNC.EXE
    7.  End the task Setup  -- leave is_setup alone.
    The install process will then continue.  It may halt for a minute around 92% but should then continue.

Like I said this worked on both of my computers.  Don't know if it would work without going into safe mode  -- ran out of computers to test this on.

Best,
    Geoff

Geoff,

I have follow your instructions to run msasync.exe via safe mode with networking. It ran fine until it hits the main setup where it freeze around 92% and won't continue.

Jerry

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.