Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Visual Studio Core Team Biographies

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • aaronbretho​rst

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Visual Studio Core team here at Microsoft has put up a biography website on MSDN. There are 18 of us up there currently, and we hope to add more over time. We'd love some feedback on what we've placed online, and we hope that this helps to put more of a real face on some of the people producing Whidbey.

You can find the biographies at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/team/bios/. We hope you find them interesting.

• ZippyV

aaronbrethorst wrote:

We hope you find them interesting.

Not really: The most important part 'The Salary' is missing and some people look like little candymen.

• aaronbretho​rst

We look like little candymen? You mean this guy? (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/art/team/VSBioGeneric.jpg).

Yeah, the little candyman(tm) guy is a little dull. The reasoning there is that some VSCore team members don't feel comfortable having a picture of themselves online.

• prog_dotnet

To the public at large, one generally dont know anything about the people behind the software. And you even get their email adresses...that is awsome..
    if you have something in peticular you want to adress, you could write them diretcly.

And I do find the linking of bloggs a nice feature..

By the way: Why do you have a More.. link...One can click the persons name also. There is no
    need for two links to the same information.
    ( when i click on Amnon Horowitz, i only get Sorry, we were unable to service your request) 

• ZippyV

aaronbrethorst wrote:
    The reasoning there is that some VSCore team members don't feel comfortable having a picture of themselves online.

Me neither.

As long as their code is stable, they don't have to worry!

• Jeremy W

Is the PM > SDE ratio normally that skewed? Or is it just that the Core Team is more PM-related, and SDE's are pulled in as required?

Beyond that, the "more" link is good, don't take it away. Redundant? Sure, but far more useable. Imagine if you had a screen reader.

• sbc

aaronbrethorst wrote:
    We look like little candymen? You mean this guy? (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/art/team/VSBioGeneric.jpg).

Yeah, the little candyman(tm) guy is a little dull. The reasoning there is that some VSCore team members don't feel comfortable having a picture of themselves online.

Perhaps there could be caricatures made.

• redvamp128

Well overal I like the idea- and the adding of the peoples RSS feed if they have a blog is great.

Got a curious question have not counted them- but overal what is the Female to Male Team Members ratio.
    I am still trying to disprove the "Homer Simpson is a programer theory"http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=300

Also have another question- you may have to converse with your team. Overal how many hours do you people spend in your office (at work working)? Or Do you rotate as a shift?

Also posting your teams bios also shows the great statement that JewelyaZ stated"There ARE lots of smart women who work at Microsoft, I promise you. "

Followed by the comment Charles made...."
    This is absolutely true! We need to do a better job of making this obvious. Stay tuned for upcoming videos of the female brains behind the scenes. With what we've posted so far, you'd think only men work at Microsoft... Time to change this pattern."

So by your team posting thier bios up this helps.

• dpen2000

Why do all the women bar brave Sara Ford elect to be represented by green and yellow marsians?

DP

• aaronbretho​rst

The PM : SDE ratio really isn't skewed throughout the entire group; the majority of people who wrote a bio for the initial launch of this website turned out to be Program Managers. Hopefully over time we'll add more of the overall team to the site, and reduce the apparent skewing in the process Smiley.

• aaronbretho​rst

I don't know what the male:female ratio is in VSCore, but I assume it's pretty close to the company average, which is 75/25 male/female (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/inside_ms.asp).

Personally, I work 50 +/- 10 hours per week. I can't speak for the rest of the VSCore team, but I think that's predominantly true. I usually work 9-10 hours / weekday, and then I'll spend a couple hours Saturday and Sunday keeping up on email and taking care of any issues that fell off my plate during the week. Some weeks I'll work less. It depends on what else I have going on on a day-to-day basis. My girlfriend is moving back to Seattle in early June (she's finishing up her English degree at present), and that will undoubtedly require me to re-evaluate when and where I work.

• sbc

dpen2000 wrote:
    Why do all the women bar brave Sara Ford elect to be represented by green and yellow marsians?

DP

Maybe they are Wink Although I have seen someone with a paper bag over her head (not on the bios page but on this forum)
    Interesting how one of the team does not have an email and another email is not @microsoft.com

Hope you don't get lots of spam thanks to putting up your email addresses - what spam filtering is used, or do you just block everyone not in your contacts list? Must be a nightmare to get loads of email (and spend hours going through it). I suppose you use RSS and MSIMN to communicate more than email?

• Jeremy W

aaronbrethorst wrote:

The PM : SDE ratio really isn't skewed throughout the entire group; the majority of people who wrote a bio for the initial launch of this website turned out to be Program Managers. Hopefully over time we'll add more of the overall team to the site, and reduce the apparent skewing in the process Smiley.

Good to know. I mean, I'm more of a PM than an SDE these days anyways, but I just found it funny that it was very weighted in the PM direction Wink

• lars

I also noticed that just about everyone was a manager of some sort. What is the total number of people working on Visual Studio?

• aaronbretho​rst

I'm not entirely sure why Jason decided to put his personal email address on the bios website instead of his Microsoft one. It's worth mentioning, though, that no one actually had to put their email address on the bios website; it was completely by choice that any of us did it. And please do take advantage of them there if you feel a need to Smiley.

As far as email management goes, this is definitely an ongoing process. I have 490 pieces of email in my inbox at present, and I really need to filter it down to < 100. Omar Shahine, a Mac Business Unit guy down in Silicon Valley, had a great blog posting about this issue a while back.

• Jeremy W

I was under the impression Microsoft was big into GTD (Getting Things done) training. It's a really interesting way to look at your Inbox. I know Robert Scoble is big into it (as are a few others).

• sbc

aaronbrethorst wrote:

As far as email management goes, this is definitely an ongoing process. I have 490 pieces of email in my inbox at present, and I really need to filter it down to < 100. Omar Shahine, a Mac Business Unit guy down in Silicon Valley, had a great blog posting about this issue a while back.

That must take a while to go through. What is needed is some kind of automatic filter. Perhaps Google GMail is going in the right direction in terms of email. Sounds very promising, I'm sure 1000MB is very tempting to some.

• OldManCoyote

You guys should re-add in an Easter Egg!  I know its not MS's policy now to add them in, but still... 

It was fun to see all the people's names on the v1.51 floating around on a 3D background.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.