Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

rel=”nofollow”

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

I have been refreshing the Google blog  page all day waiting for this anticipated announcement, when I got a message from Jeremy Zawodny,

A Defense Against Comment Spam

I'm pleased to announce that Yahoo! Search is one of several organizations in support of a technique that should help combat weblog comment spam. Others involved are: Google/Blogger, MSN Search, Six Apart (TypePad, MovableType, LiveJournal), and WordPress.

By adding a rel="nofollow" attribute to hyperlinks, webmasters and weblog owners can tell search engines that the links are effectively untrusted. For example, this:

<a href="http://spammer.example.com/">buy">http://spammer.example.com/">buy now</a>

Becomes this:

<a href="http://spammer.example.com/" rel="nofollow">buy now</a>

We think this is a good first step toward significantly reducing the spam burden on bloggers and weblog hosting companies. It's great to see so many players on board. In the coming weeks you can expect to see the changes reflected in our web index.

• User profile image
    Minh

So, the idea is that, if I'm a blog site owner, any comments posted to my blog not yet approved would render the <A> tag with a "nofollow" ? I don't quite get this.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Yeah, the MSN Search folks updated the Channel 9 wiki earlier this afternoon - I was wondering what that weird pagename meant... Smiley

The idea is that blog hosts can now automatically add the nofollow tag to all links in the comments section.  Links in the author's original post won't be tagged. 

So the end result is that only sites that the author *wants* to get googlejuice will get it.  You can leave a comment suggesting that the blogger check out your link, and maybe they'll do so and include that link in a future post, but until they do you'll get zero googlejuice from sending them the comment.

This greatly reduces the financial incentive to comment-spam popular blogs.

• User profile image
    manickernel

I still think the most effective solution is to identify, locate, and eliminate. Grab them by the hair, and slit their throats. Kill them and all their spawn.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Paul, what worries me about this is that now some of the A-List bloggers such as Scoble have a limited control over pageranking of things they link to.

Getting your link on Scobleizer is quite a big boost for Pagerank but now there is nothing to stop Mr Scoble (and I am not suggesting he will, just that he could) adding this attribute to links he doesn't want to gain any advantage on Google, and remove it from those he does.  No biggy I guess but what if the Microsoft related linkx where all missing this attribute and the Apple and Linux ones had it in - Do you check the full HTML of links before you click on them?

As I mentioned I am just using Robert as an example, I don't believe he would do this, but there are others where it might be true (Dave W for example).

• User profile image
    Spar

Getting your link on Scobleizer is quite a big boost for Pagerank but now there is nothing to stop Mr Scoble (and I am not suggesting he will, just that he could) adding this attribute to links he doesn't want to gain any advantage on Google, and remove it from those he does.  No biggy I guess but what if the Microsoft related linkx where all missing this attribute and the Apple and Linux ones had it in - Do you check the full HTML of links before you click on them?

It would take an awful lot of work for someone like Scoble to implement that!
    Besides, the "rel=nofollow" tag shoudl only be implemented in the body of a comment.

The username and link, link should be left alone. This would eman that legitimate commenters still get their "googlejuice", and yes one or two spammers may get a link in their, if they use the username/url thing, but comment moderation should pick up on those few..

• User profile image
    eagle

Rossj wrote:

Getting your link on Scobleizer is quite a big boost for Pagerank.

Robert's blog is on three different servers, the Scobleizer, the comments and the Link blog so only the server with the comments needs to use nofollow.

Getting a link on Doc Searls sent my pagerank to Titan!

• User profile image
    littleguru

Cool stuff! I think this will work. Hopefully each major search engine is implementing it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.