Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Working at Microsoft...jobs for the teens?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

Hello. I'm turning 16 this year and was wondering whether MS had jobs for us teens or is it only an 18+ kind of thing for large corporations?

Or, will I end up waiting to get into the all mighty MS building until I'm 18?

As you can see, I really don't know much about this kind of stuff.

Thanks!

-mVPstar

• User profile image
    zpmqxonw

I am also very interested in working for Microsoft. I have just recently learned about the joys of programming and am excited to become a computer engineer. I am a 15 year old female located in the Redmond, WA area and would love a summer job at Microsoft. If anybody has any information about summer jobs at Microsoft that would be great!!!

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

The two people who used to run the Exchange Dogfood lab back in the mid 1990s started working at MS part time when they were 16 years old, IIRC.

But jobs like that are relatively rare.

• User profile image
    Jax

There are a few intersnship opportunities for high schoolers. I'm pretty the Technology Access Foundation has some if you join their program (which is actually kind of tough to get into and stay in). I'm sure there are a few other foundations and I know if you poke around the MS website you'll find where they talk about interns. Keep in mind most interns are college age.

There's a couple guys in my group who got hired in while in high school to set up people's offices and stuff but that was about 10 years ago when MS was much different.

Good luck.

• User profile image
    leighsword
  • User profile image
    Cider

mVPstar wrote:
    Hello. I'm turning 16 this year and was wondering whether MS had jobs for us teens or is it only an 18+ kind of thing for large corporations?

Ask the Dougie Howser of Microsoft:  Sampy.  He's only about 13.

Or at least looks it...

• User profile image
    Rossj

Cider wrote:
    Ask the Dougie Howser of Microsoft:  Sampy.  He's only about 13.

Or at least looks it...

Nah he's at least 16 Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sampy

Rossj wrote:
    Cider wrote: Ask the Dougie Howser of Microsoft:  Sampy.  He's only about 13.

Or at least looks it...

Nah he's at least 16 Tongue Out

Mom, they're making fun of me again!
    /pout

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Sampy, how old are ya anyways? How did you get to pass through the golden "Gates"? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sampy

I'm 23.

I got here full time after 2 summer internships, one as a SDE/T (software design engineer in test) on the VB team and one as an SDE (software design engineer). I'm now a full time SDE or "dev." I got my first internship through school; I work in my school's IS department and the coordinator of my program got me an interview for an internship through some contacts she had.

• User profile image
    sbc

It always helps if you know someone in the industry (or know someone who knows someone). Some are lucky and don't do the menial jobs (go straight to IT, without packing boxes at supermarkets, or working at a fast food outlet). I was lucky and went pretty much straight to web development (right place at right time with right skills).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

sbc wrote:
    Some are lucky and don't do the menial jobs (go straight to IT, without packing boxes at supermarkets, or working at a fast food outlet).

Yeah, me too. My first summer job was as a "Computer Software Expert" (ie. a dev) at Unit4Agresso, back then still known as Unit4 Software BV.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Hmmm, I currently work at the IT department at my school. I worked with them last year and going for another round this year.

Might have to ask them for some help in this then.. Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sampy wrote:
    I'm 23.

Surely not a typo for "13"? You don't look like it Wink

As for myself... I'm not going to bother with any fast-track programs... Masters in CompSci w/ Honors for me, methinks, perhaps a PhD in the subject, I was considering doing Physics.... (still am, rather), then wh0re myself out to the MacBU or idSoftware (man, how shiznits would that be?)

• User profile image
    Charles

Rossj wrote:
    Someone PLEASE fix this for Safari.

Can you explain the problem? What's "this"?

Thanks,

Charles

• User profile image
    MasterPi

He's referring to some double posting error in Mozilla.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Charles, sorry, I fixed it.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Sampy wrote: Mom, they're making fun of me again!

You should be happy
    I am 31 and have been told I look 40 (I think it is the beard Wink ).

Edit: Accidentally formatted incorrectly by Robert when trying to help Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.