Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Express products cease functioning on March 1 - expriation strategy for end users

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    prog_dotnet

(from eula)

NOTICE: THE SOFTWARE IS TIME SENSITIVE AND IS DESIGNED TO CEASE FUNCTIONING ON MARCH 1, 2005. NOTICE OF EXPIRATION WILL NOT ACTIVELY BE GIVEN SO YOU NEED TO PLAN FOR THE EXPIRATION DATE AND, PRIOR TO SUCH EXPIRATION, MAKE A COPY OF AND REMOVE YOUR DATA THAT YOU WISH TO USE IN THE FUTURE.

First, why do Microsoft hide the time bomb information in the license agreement knowing that most people never read i ?

Second; why arent the uses given a warning, some days in advance. How hard is it to code som message box telling the fun is soon to end ? 

Third: We need to plan for the expriation date. How shall we plan ?

Microsoft have marketed the product towards students, hobbyists and enthusiasts.

Will it a rtm product be realased before march 1.
    Will it still be free?
    And will there be a migration wizard to upgrade existing projects from the beta ?

• User profile image
    Minh

prog_dotnet wrote:

Probably not, but another beta probably will.

prog_dotnet wrote:
    Will it still be free?

I believe the Express line will sell for $99 each. Students, of course, will get a discount.

prog_dotnet wrote:

And will there be a migration wizard to upgrade existing projects from the beta ?

Probably not, it's beta after all. But probably not many breaking changes.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

hmm, thanks for the imput. Yea, i guess a new beta will come along...

• User profile image
    Dan

Prog,

First, why do Microsoft hide the time bomb information in the license agreement knowing that most people never read i ?

Second; why arent the uses given a warning, some days in advance. How hard is it to code som message box telling the fun is soon to end ? 

Thanks for the feedback, it's a good idea to make the beta expiration date more obvious. You can make suggestions you want added to the product at http://msdn.microsoft.com/feedback  

Third: We need to plan for the expriation date. How shall we plan ?
    If you want to understand and better plan for changes to the Express products and the .NET Framework, you may be interested in evaluating our Community Tech Previews. These are more frequent, but less stable builds designed to help customers better evaluate the product.

We are releasing Beta 2 in the first quarter of 2005 with the RTM release in the summer of 2005.

Will it still be free?

We haven't announced pricing for any Visual Studio 2005 product, but we should hopefully have more information on pricing by Beta 2.

There is no planned migration wizard for moving code from Beta 1 to Beta 2.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Dan Fernandez
    C# Product Manager

• User profile image
    manickernel

The express products should be free. Period. The payback is obvious.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I heard a quote in a meeting once:

"I don't know how much money you have in your pocket right now but it's enough to get a copy of Express."

While it may not be free off MSDN, you will be able to get your hands on it pretty easily.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

VC2005 Express will have the optimizing compiler, no worries about that.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Express should be free. Even if it costs $0.10 just the hassle of having to go through an online payment process instead of just clicking download will lose potential users.

Sampy, I currently have no money in my pockets, so that implies it should be free... Unless they define 'pockets' to mean 'wallet', in which case it must cost less than €17.30 Wink

• User profile image
    gman

Yes, Visual Studio has not historically been free. However, that was then and this is now. Microsoft would be fools to charge ANYTHING for the express products. While Linux still does not have a decent IDE, it's only a matter of time before something like kdevelop starts getting almost usable.

They have already disabled features anyone would need in a real development shop (i.e. source control).

WHY would MS want to restrict hobbyist and independent developers from writing software for Windows? It makes no sense.

The express products will be free, mark my words!

• User profile image
    gman

Dan wrote:
    If you want to understand and better plan for changes to the Express products and the .NET Framework, you may be interested in evaluating our Community Tech Previews.

Well that's a great idea Dan, however unfortunately not everybody can afford a MSDN subscription, that's the whole reason we are using the express products...  Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

For express i am generally willing to pay £30 for it (of course i want to pay less), and perhaps MS should team up with universitys and give away maybe C# express or VB.net express to first year students (on a course related to computing/programming).

• User profile image
    ZippyV

My school has MSDN Academic Alliance so we don't have to pay at all for VS.net.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

gman wrote:
    WHY would MS want to restrict hobbyist and independent developers from writing software for Windows? It makes no sense.

The express products will be free, mark my words!
    The .NET command-line compilers have always been free. I don't see that changing. And several free IDEs have been developed around them

• User profile image
    AndyC

Jaz wrote:
    For express i am generally willing to pay £30 for it (of course i want to pay less), and perhaps MS should team up with universitys and give away maybe C# express or VB.net express to first year students (on a course related to computing/programming).

If you're at a University studying computing you should really ask why they aren't a member of Academic Alliance. It's unbeliveably cheap - I had to treble check the quote 'cos I really didn't believe it - and a massive benefit to students.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Leiden University is not a member of the MSDNAA (strangely enough, the LUMC (Leiden University Medical Center) is a member, but that doesn't help me). We do have a standard Microsoft Campus Contract  (Dutch website) with SURFdiensten BV, so students can get most Microsoft software (such as Windows (Server) and Office) really cheap. But a Campus Contract does not include Visual Studio.

I don't know exactly why we don't have MSDNAA, but I do know that our bureaucracy is such that we'll never get it. Computer Science is a pretty insignificant part of the Faculty of Science, at least from the viewpoint of the Board of Education. There's no way we're going get the budget allocated for that. Especially since we're already pretty expensive, considering our computers get stolen every other week or so. Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.