Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Paid Outlook + MSN/hotmail = $59 a year

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+offers+subscription+Outlook/2100-1012_3-5542323.html?tag=nefd.topFor

"power users"?

Would anyone here signup for this?

its ridiculous

* maybe the people that signed up to play checkers for 80$ could be your target market..

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:
    http://news.com.com/Microsoft+offers+subscription+Outlook/2100-1012_3-5542323.html?tag=nefd.topFor

"power users"?

Would anyone here signup for this?

its ridiculous

* maybe the people that signed up to play checkers for 80$ could be your target market..

This must be aimed at business users, but even there most of them will have reasonable mail access provided by their IT dept (I know my company does and we are only 8 people).

If it isn't aimed at business but for home power users would they *really* pay that much for mail?  You can get nearly the same features (less disk space and slightly smaller attachments) from Google for free if you don't mind spending 15 minutes looking for an invite.

It'll be interesting to see the uptake of this.

• User profile image
    gswitz

Ok, seems steep, but you don't buy the software in addition. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me (if you only need Outlook).

Why not buy time on Terminal Servers where you don't have to worry about being hacked or software upgrades or the like? (I don't think this is what is for sale, but it's an idea.)

Think of it this way:
    The cost of a 2 Gig account at Yahoo with POP access to download the email is 29.95 per year and the cost of Outlook is 99.99 at Comp USA. That's $130 for the first year, and when an upgrade is released, you will need to buy Outlook (upgrade) again to stay up to date.

Anyway, I'm not doing it b/c I own Office Pro 2003, but if I didn't, and I knew someone with a need, I might recommend it.

Best,

Geoff

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

I really cannot see much of a market for this, considering how many free tools there are out there, free e-mail services, low-cost internet providers who provide multiple e-mail accounts for you, etc.  I use Outlook all the time at work, but the advantages are hardly worth a subscription service for me on my own time.

• User profile image
    Jaz

what i'd prefer is to be able to compact and backup my hotmail inbox every few months so i can read it offline.  The many features that this $40 odd gives me, is worthless to me.

• User profile image
    kidzi

The ridiculous thing about that is needing to upgrade office.  I still have office 2000 at home. When I found out that I couldn't even USE office 2000 to talk to hotmail without paying 10$ over the subscription fee (which I paid), I dumped them and went to yahoo for the 30$

Yahoo is very lean and fast and has features that hotmail does not have (addressguard).  Plus, I can get hotmail mail in my office 2000.  

I can't imagine someone wasting so much money for an outlook subscription!  I think MS realizes they are in a difficult position with Outlook because they are running out of reasons for people to upgrade. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I think they should just drop the cost of it to be 30 bux to compete against yahoo.  When I paid for yahoo, I got the yahoo calendar (extra $$ with hotmail I think), I got the sync tool (would have cost more with hotmail), and the contact and email.  It might not be the sexiest thing, but definitely more bang for the buck.

• User profile image
    JDanielSmith

I paid the $20 to get "MSN Hotmail Plus" so that I could continue to read my Hotmail from Outlook.

For me, it would be very nice to be able to sync Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, etc.  Spending another $29 (or $39) for that does seem a bit high though...

Right now, I have my personal contacts (and calendar entires) stored on the company's exchange server which I don't like.  Putting them in a local PST file means I can only get at them from one machine...maybe not all bad, considering I have a laptop, but...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

You can put your PSTs on a Network share and make them accessible from all locations

• User profile image
    jonathanh

I believe the main target market is people who use Outlook in the office for their work email, and want the same experience at home for their personal email.  It adds a subscription copy of Outlook 2003 and a full 2GB Hotmail inbox to the underlying Outlook Connector (which exposes your Hotmail inbox to Outlook as a full-fledged MAPI service, instead of just a web-access mailbox).

For some people the killer feature will be offline access via Outlook.  For others it will be calendar sharing.  I've just started playing around with the Outlook Connector, and for me I think the killer feature will be getting a few hundred megabytes of archived personal email out of a .PST file and onto the Hotmail servers, where I can access it from any device (web kiosk, cellphone, ...).

• User profile image
    Rossj

Any chance of a post from the Outlook/Exchange team to get their opinion on the upcoming Evolution port? The link is http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/ in case you had not heard of it, the Windows port is under way. Apparently it is an exchange client. And you don't need to buy Office to get it.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

This is not commodity level email that you can get free everywhere.  This is a much richer user experience, far beyond the basic webmail interface of Hotmail or Yahoo, or the older Hotmail-via-DAV experience in Outlook.

I believe Outlook Live is a standalone subscription version of the Outlook Connector that is included with an MSN Premium subscription.  It's a great product.

My wife uses MSN Premium for mail, browsing, etc because she prefers the all-in-one interface.  My daughter uses Outlook & IE because that's what she likes, and the connector enables her to use everything outlook can do with Hotmail as the back-end. 

The calendar sharing is super cool.  I can put my Exchange calendar side-by-side with my wife's MSN calendar.  I can drag appointments, etc from one to the next super easily.

This is something you should see before you just bash it...

• User profile image
    Rossj

"This is something you should see before you just bash it...". I would but I can't afford it ;P Sorry about the lack of linebreaks I am trying to break from of FF on my mac and Safari doesn't like C9.

• User profile image
    jamie

BruceMorgan wrote:

This is something you should see before you just bash it...

"While Gmail users are served up text ads that appear next to a message's body text, ads will not appear with messages that are downloaded via POP3 to client e-mail applications, a Google spokesman said. "

Google gives Gmail POP3 support, plans antivirus features

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/groupware/story/0,10801,97406,00.html

$59 USD - in Canada 90$ ( i can get hosting accounts/w email for that)
    or free POP gmail

what's to bash except yet another nickel dime cash grab by MS

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Microsoft is clearly targetting the "rich "home pc" users"

Aka the "rich stupid" segment (but not that stupid, otherwise they wouldn't be using Outlook Wink )

I'm perfectly happy with my webhost's email services and Thunderbird, tyvm (however I am thinking of switching back to Outlook now that I've got my paws on Outlook 2003... sure does look swish, but the Navigation pane is confusing

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.