Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.Doc is dead... Long Live .Doc

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Just quick ...does anyone here use Word - and make .doc files for anything?

When i work - its all design, pdf's, tifs, eps, ai, cdr etc etc..

When i do something for me its in html/asp

when i talk to clients its email or msn messenger

if i do a newspaper or mag its quark

if im recommending something easy to people it's publisher

so ..who does use Word?

* to me Word should be a local blog system - but - ha you all knew that.

• User profile image
    Minh

Still using .Doc for design documents ... basically anything that requires nice formatting. Sometimes I'd send a Word doc 'cuz formatting (esp. hierarchy) in Thunderbird (actually anything in Thunderbird) is painful.

• User profile image
    jamie

in my profession im more used to sending a powerpoint than anything in Word

and i get doc files by email hardly ever anymore

* Frontpage to me was Office

• User profile image
    GrumpyWookie

Word documents - we use them exclusively - for our design specs - requirements, func specs, tech specs, test specs, etc

And all our change requests and so on.  Good to be able to use "highlight changes" between doc/s - and have an electronic searchable copy.

I guess for a graphical design - people would use TIF, EPS, etc - but for a transactional database system - design docs are ALWAYS using WORD.

(plus - all our templates and quality procedures are using WORD)

Powerpoint ?!?    Only for weekly status reports - colourful, pretty wordings - for managers.

Detail ?   Word.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:
    so ..who does use Word?

Not me, I can't justify $499 for an office suite on my mac. I am waiting for my copy of iWork to be delivered though Smiley

• User profile image
    Sabot

Guys I think a fundamental point has been missed here?

Word is a document authoring tool; Word isn’t a final document distribution format.

Use Word if you wish to keep you documents alive, i.e. they are likely to be regularly updated. As Word if pretty much ambitious it’s probably the software for this.

But once a document is ready for publishing and is never likely to be updated again and just read from now on, i.e. your novel, or technical article, is complete and ready to be sent to the publishers or posted on a website convert it into PDF as it’s easy for most people to read it and because it’s a compressed format usually quick to send over the web.

• User profile image
    GrumpyWookie

Totally agree.  PDF is great as it's un-changable (locked), but searchable, bookmarks, etc.

I'm currently working on a Vehicle Leasing system, and the user can initiate a Purchase Order, which generates a SQL Server Reporting Services object, and spits the output straight to a PDF format. 

The first thing the user sees is a fulled generated PDF file - ready to email.  

[ great development tool also - Reporting Services - fully integrated into VS.NET ].

Another good thing is that a PDF is visible on Mac's and Linux - wouldn't get that with a Microsoft Word Document.

Hence - MS.Word for "internal" documents - and PDF for documents sent to external parties (who may HAVE a Linux or Mac machine)...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I use Word 2003's XML format to save all my word documents now... ensuring forward-compatibility. I'll get round to writing an open-source parser for it too.

I use PDF to distribute documents... other than *.txt, *.rtf, and XHTML (which Word doesn't support, 'tis a shame) its the only format my OS Proponent contacts will accept

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Us students use word for typing reports and papers and most of the times for making flyers. It's easy for the general consumer to use so it's used for many things.

• User profile image
    Donkslayer

jamie wrote:

Why does this sound familiar?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Donkslayer wrote:
    jamie wrote:.Doc is dead... Long Live .Doc

Why does this sound familiar?

The King is dead .. Long Live the King !

• User profile image
    dnrfan

What about FlashPaper?

Anyone use that? 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.