Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do blue files mean?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Fritz

I went to save a file and when it asked where to save it on the harddrive my system32 folder came up and some file names were a strange blue colour. What does that mean? Thanks

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Blue files/folders have been compressed by NTFS. Similarly, green files/folders are encrypted. Go to properties, general tab, advanced, there you can set encryption and compression (note about encryption: files are encrypted using a cryptography key that is tied to your user account. Lose the user account (for instance by reinstalling windows) and you can't access those files anymore).

You can turn coloring of such folders/files under folder options, view tab, the option "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color."

• User profile image
    eddwo

It is likely you ran the Disk Cleanup Wizard, one of it's options is to finds files that have not been accessed recently and compresses them to save space. I think the default last access time is 60 days. There must be a lot of system files that your particular computer usage pattern doesn't require.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Certain folders are compressed by default. One big one in the System32 folder is the dllcache.The hotfix uninstall folders are also compressed.

• User profile image
    Fritz

ah ok great Smiley thank you! Just making sure nothing was wrong.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.