Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Minesweeper, Solitaire, Pinball, ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi guys,

I was playing Pinball and suddenly something hit my mind: who created those games that are part of each Windows distribution.

Are the guys, who developed those games, still employeed by Microsoft? Minesweeper and Soltaire are very old but Pinball (and the others) is younger... Could you do an interview with them? Were they already in some of the videos on channel 9?

I guess they are (or were) part of one of the teams developing Windows. What are they doing now?

Cheers
    Christian

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Pinball was made by Maxis and all the other games haven't been touched since Windows 95. It's about time we get some new exciting games, like Shisen Sho (It's on Linux).

• User profile image
    littleguru

I remember Solitaire since Windows 3.1 Smiley When you win the cards are hopping away. That nice feature was also already part of the Win3.1 version.

Note: try to move the mouse fast arround when the cards are hopping. The hop speed is somehow connected to the mouse moves... don't know why.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Beer28, are you somehow connected to the looking glass project of sun or is this only a private homepage of you?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ZippyV wrote:
    Pinball was made by Maxis and all the other games haven't been touched since Windows 95.

That's not true. There have been at least two changes to solitaire since then. For one thing it's been slowed down; the Win95 version of solitaire would take less than a second to do the card-hop at the end on a decent system, on XP it does it normal speed. Secondly at some point the feature has been added that a right-click moves all possible cards to the aces stacks; which saves you a lot of clicking at the end and can drastically improve your time, leading to my near-impossible to beat top score of 8400 points...

Strangely enough one thing that hasn't been changed all these years is the flaky shuffle randomiser engine. Typically, all games in a single session will be somewhat alike, only closing and restarting Solitaire will generate a truly different shuffle.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Shisen Sho was always available in the distro I used. Maybe it's delivered with KDE? I could play it with the RedHat distro's and some live cd, probably Suse.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Beer28 wrote:

I had a project under the Sun CVS incubator for looking glass, doing a browser but work got in the way, and I wanted to code LFC, so I left the project and I believe the other person I started it with is running it now.

When I am much more capable with the Java3d API which I'm still learning, I'm going to go back to the project and help.

I basically put the site up for anybody that wants some basic information, and I store pictures and information on it. It doesn't have anything to do officially with the lg3d project.

I see. I saw a few times the (famous) video about looking glass where (I don't know who it actually was) a guy was writing on the backside of windows. It was a nice demo, actually the features had no sense but showed how powerful the API was/is.

Apple recently took up the idea with turning arround windows (cupertino started the copy machines) in their new feature called "dashboard". I don't know if you have seen it. They store the settings of a widgets on the backside of the widget itself.. Very cool. I like dashboard very much and I'm very disappointed that Windows has nothing similar.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:
    Secondly at some point the feature has been added that a right-click moves all possible cards to the aces stacks; which saves you a lot of clicking at the end and can drastically improve your time, leading to my near-impossible to beat top score of 8400 points...

This features has already been in Windows 95, at least. I could swear it was already part of the Win3.11 version.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Solitaire was written by Wes Cherry (look at the info dialog in the game). What does he do now? Anybody knows that guy?

[edit]http://www.wga.org/WrittenBy/0201/business.html nice[/edit]

• User profile image
    ZippyV

that article wrote:

The point remains, though, that the Solitaire deal itself is royalty-free.

I think Microsoft should make some kind of contest (hint, hint Channel 9), where the winner will see his application/game included with Windows and maybe a one time compensation (let's say 100$).

• User profile image
    littleguru

ZippyV wrote:
    that article wrote:
    The point remains, though, that the Solitaire deal itself is royalty-free.

I think Microsoft should make some kind of contest (hint, hint Channel 9), where the winner will see his application/game included with Windows and maybe a one time compensation (let's say 100$).

Wow! What a great idea! The game could ship with Longhorn. I mean it's still a lot time, isn't it? Great idea!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

This is a pretty stupid story:

For months had I been trying to remember the name of an old graphical adventure game that I had played under DOS in the good old days of gaming. I could remember distinctly what the game looked like, and I remembered it being fun, but I couldn't remember the name, nor enough plot elements to google it. So I didn't really hold out any hopes of ever actually finding it again.

Then a few months ago I'm installing some Linux distro (I think it was Fedora, but I'm not sure), I didn't have time to pick out detailed packaged, so I pretty much did the default install, which included some games (I usually don't install the games, waste of space since I never play them anyway). During the install sequence I just happen to see an RPM getting installed called "Beneath a Steel Sky". And I immediately remembered that that was the game! Turns our a Linux port of that game was included with that distro!

So, seems Linux is good for something after all... Wink

• User profile image
    Donkslayer

When I used Windows 95 there wasnt solitare pinball etc. just a weird old style game called Hover

• User profile image
    Manip

Can we get Tux Racer in Longhorn? Wink

• User profile image
    manickernel

Manip wrote:
    Can we get Tux Racer in Longhorn? Wink

With the added effect of red blood when Tux hits a tree?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Donkslayer wrote:
    When I used Windows 95 there wasnt solitare pinball etc. just a weird old style game called Hover

Whoa! Memories!

I remember playing that, t'was amazing (for a 1995 game)

Although on my compy, I've uninstalled all of the Windows games, seeming as I never really play them, when I want to digress I boot up Steam or Quake 3 Wink

I do agree with getting some new games for Longhorn, especilly those that take advantage of the new 3D capabilities... how about the games included with "Plus! for Windows XP" ? (Plus! for Windows XP was a complete disappointment anyway, before with Windows 95 and 98 it was considered a proper "expansion pack", but now it just gives you some "lite" versions of already lame software)

ooooh! and who remembers the "Microsoft Entertainment Pack"? ...With that "skiing" game and the yeti? T'was well fun Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

ooooh! and who remembers the "Microsoft Entertainment Pack"? ...With that "skiing" game and the yeti? T'was well fun Smiley

Should I be embarrased about admiting that not only do I still have it, I still play it?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Donkslayer wrote: When I used Windows 95 there wasnt solitare pinball etc. just a weird old style game called Hover
    I used it also to play a lot! Pinball came with one of the Plus packages. But there was also solitaire. Perhaps you didn't install it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.