Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSN redefines physics...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

At lesat that is how it looks judging from this map.

A friend just told me about that. I got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share it.

By the way, someone might want to contact the MSN Maps & Directions team...

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    At lesat that is how it looks judging from this map.

A friend just told me about that. I got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share it.

By the way, someone might want to contact the MSN Maps & Directions team...
    Don't worry, they already know - this made the rounds a week or two ago Smiley  It's a connectivity bug in their map data for Norway, being fixed in the next release (early February, I believe)

• User profile image
    dnrfan

Well, that bug is an obvious one to notice, but what about paths that aren't immediately noticable?

Eg:  That route could of lead the user off a cliff or through a mountain that has no roads, or down a gully etc.

You wouldn't  notice that unless you knew the area well.

This is where the consumer loses their faith in MS products.  They hear of something like this, and they then find it hard to trust that they are going the right way, and their money is well spent.

No one likes to be lead up the garden path.

• User profile image
    Jorgie

dnrfan said: "This is where the consumer loses their faith in MS products.  They hear of something like this, and they then find it hard to trust that they are going the right way, and their money is well spent."

Come now, that is BS. The same types of problems can be found it every mapping product out there. If you read the instructions that come with any of them they clearly state that they are a *navagational aid* to be used in planning a trip, and they are not indended to be followed blindly.

These products will never be any better then the data they rely on, and none of the compainies that I have seen (including MS) gather all their own data so they are all subject to problems with data from third parties.

So 'durfan' where is the fantastic mapping software you have created for finding routes all over the world? We would love to see how you have done it so much better that you feel you are in a position to make such sweeping condemnation of MS software.

Jorgie

• User profile image
    dnrfan

manickernel wrote:
    Never trust your life in the real world to what is represented on a computer.

When I'm diving, I would much prefer to trust a well thoughout piece of swiss engineering, than to trust a narc'd buddy, and or myself if I was feeling a bit narc'd.

• User profile image
    dnrfan

It was just an observation Jorgie, not an argument.
    No software, let alone any navigational software is perfect.

It's hard enough to convince someone why they should buy xyz software, then alone something that has some errors mentioned here.  I, myself don't think the issues are of any real concern, but the customers do.

I'm dealing with joe public, not IT savvy developers.
    So, when someone says, "I heard that this program does this and that, I don't want that piece of garbage", I just have to hum the tune of Microsoft and tell them whatever MS's responses have been.

Jorgie wrote:
    So 'durfan' where is the fantastic mapping software you have created for finding routes all over the world? We would love to see how you have done it so much better that you feel you are in a position to make such sweeping condemnation of MS software.

Thats a fairly immature response

• User profile image
    manickernel

Before I got into IT I was a boat captain (still am 100Ton USCG licensed) Now GPS is the greatest thing since sliced eggs, but I still know how to chart, use a compass, TOD, and carry a sextant and reduction tables. (though now on a PDA rather than the books)

Never trust your life in the real world to what is represented on a computer. I think some pilots might agree with this as well.

EDIT:What I mean is that computer/GPS integration, while absolutely fantastic, like for sailing on a dark night down the Chesapeake with almost zero visability, one should keep an eye on radar to verify that the two synch. And in if they don't? I would go with radar.

• User profile image
    manickernel

Actually, now that you bring up diving. I prefer no BC, no belt, no nothing,  and a steel tank (harder to get these days) But that is how i did it in Honduras and as far as knowing when to surface, well at 100' you feel that last pull,  but as you surface you get extra breaths .  I know, not PADI technique.
    \
    Wink

Edit: I do trust and rely on instruments, I only have "suspect" for software that interprets those instruments.

Edit2: Actually, now that we are talking diving, I am intersted in where you have been diving DNRFAN. I am kinda being flippant with the above remarks, but that was many years ago. So have you done any "mix" dives?  All mine were straight, and all over the Caribbean, but mostly I liked just skin diving without tanks, at that time I could free dive to 60' and still pull up my target. (We had to eat)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Directions can be difficult. My dad's car (a Nissan Primera Estate) has a built-in navigation system, but it also has its quirks. One time I was driving in Ridderkerk, and I was coming up to an intersection where I could go either straight on or turn right. The navigation system however told me to "turn left, and if possible, turn around immediately". Smiley

I also once saw an online planner that could also give bicycle routes. However, due to it not knowing about a certain ferry, there were two small villages (I forget which) separated by a river, about 10km apart, where if you'd plan a route from one to the other on bicycle, you had to go to England and back by boat to get there, according to that program...

• User profile image
    dnrfan

manickernel wrote:
    Actually, now that we are talking diving, I am intersted in where you have been diving DNRFAN.

Well, I haven't been overseas to dive.  But mainly I dive around the east cost of Aust, and Adelaide ( HMAS Hobart ). Also Jervis Bay is great too. Can be seen from space.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

It was just an observation Jorgie, not an argument.
    No software, let alone any navigational software is perfect.

It's hard enough to convince someone why they should buy xyz software, then alone something that has some errors mentioned here.  I, myself don't think the issues are of any real concern, but the customers do.

I'm dealing with joe public, not IT savvy developers.
    So, when someone says, "I heard that this program does this and that, I don't want that piece of garbage", I just have to hum the tune of Microsoft and tell them whatever MS's responses have been.

Jorgie wrote: So 'durfan' where is the fantastic mapping software you have created for finding routes all over the world? We would love to see how you have done it so much better that you feel you are in a position to make such sweeping condemnation of MS software.

Thats a fairly immature response
    It's like the saying, "If someone told you to jump off of a cliff, would you do it?"

Seriously, would you actually follow instructions that tell you to "climb a cliff, dive in the water". It's an honest mistake, and to tell you the truth, you'd have to be a complete dolt to follow such directions.

I once typed in the "quickest route to get to India" in MapQuest. Apparently, it nicely showed a route through the ocean and calculated a road time of 36 days. The fact that it would even bother to check such a route seems far more erroneous than MS's software bug. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.