Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

20 Million Downloads

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Firefox finally hits 20 million.

Firefox 1.0 cumulative downloads, created by

I wonder if this will slow down much over the coming year ?

• User profile image
    Manip

Woot, I can finally turn that dam bot off Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Is that graph accurate?

I was following downloads for a few weeks and plotted my graph (I've since deleted the XLS, sorry!) but it definately wasn't a straight line... I found that downloads began to slow down a bit around 8,000,000 and again at 12,000,000

• User profile image
    sbc

Heise.de (a popular German site) has more Firefox users that IE. Some countries are embracing it and Open Source more than others.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007386.html

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The German mass-media are technology-orientated... there's at least 5 computer or gaming related TV shows on german TV thesedays...

Here in the UK its "zilch", spare for "Thumb Bandits" on C4 at 11pm

..and even then its really poor.

However, SkyOne did a gaming show too, but thats even worse... Part of the show has some guy dressed up similar to the Buddah and calls himself the "Games Guru"... yet does nothing but spout cheat-codes

...Its the people who watch TV shows like this that get wrapped up with aimbots and wallhacks for CounterStrike and spoil the experience for the rest of us...

Then they come on Channel9 with the nick "hello_wtf" Wink

Okay, sorry, I've digressed too much Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

Yes, but I downloaded several betas and I’m sure that is counted as 5 downloads. I still mostly use IE, but it’s nice to have Firefox.

As Mr Manip articulated this could all be the work of bots or a room full guys in a far-off land hitting DOWNLOAD NOW all day long (and they work long days)!

I have witnessed several suspicious blogs that have suddenly clamed vast page views that don’t equal their content. Big story in the NY Times today about Friendster, the initial buzz may have in fact been manufactured.   

It is getting harder to trust ebay because of people with multi-identities and as you well know I have often remarked about all the funny business going on here on channel9, there are Tech “journalists” who “cover” this beat.   

• User profile image
    gman

Too bad Firefox actually kills the Linux movement. Since people have Firefox, this stable and secure browser, there is simply no reason to run a less capable or compatible OS like Linux is. You cut off your nose to spite your face.

• User profile image
    bsilby

I too have downloaded a few builds. I am testing my stuff with different builds to try to help fix bug 234233--the dhtml animation speed, which is still way too slow. They are making good progress on this, incidentally Smiley

I still use IE as my main browser, because of the above bug.

I know quite a few people who have downloaded FF, but do not use it much.

I think download numbers are misleading. It is more interesting to track webstats. My site still has about 95% IE usage.

Brent.

• User profile image
    bsilby

Here's a short article about the latest security hole in Firefox.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/opensource/firefox-phishing-mozilla-39504.html

They make an interesting point about how long it takes opensource developers to respond with security patches. I'm not sure if its an accurate point...

Brent.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Perhaps

But Firefox doesn't require a system overhaul just to install the latest updates Wink

There's no way I'm installing SP2... it literally broke my old NIC, I'm not risking it again

• User profile image
    sbc

Perhaps its less serious as most of Firefox's current users are more technically orientated.

Internet Explorer does the same thing as well. How can this type of thing be fixed?

• User profile image
    Hypersw

So, whattabout something like IE7 ?.. Where/when?

• User profile image
    sbc

If IE had a similar advisory, would there be a patch? I very much doubt it.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Beer28 wrote:
    Um, excuse me, I run firefox on linux. Linux's shell kills DOS, and it is several times more stable and powerful. You have been misinformed.

Do I misread, or did you just claim that Linux is more stable than DOS? Wink

Linux can't be more stable than XP for me. How can you be more stable than an OS that never crashes? I've not had XP crash on me since beta 2, with the sole exception of driver issues combined with buggy games, especially Uru's been giving me hell lately, the To D'ni expansion requires a lot of linking in and out of Relto, and every link to Relto has about a 10% chance of crashing the ATI drivers, fortunately after it saves the state, and luckily most places can be reached via the Nexus too. Hopefully the recently anounced Myst 5 will be more stable.

• User profile image
    jamie

Re: firefox defections

along time ago i posted a thread: something like:

Please stop Explorer defections - and asked MS to at least SAY they were working on an update

..and still to this day they somewhat deny a new standalone version is coming (*perhaps some form of windows update was hinted..but its clearly not enough)

we really really need something to stop people from using other browsers - as whether FF is great or not - it is DIFFERENT in its rendering than IE

even spaces..tables..all kinds of little "gottcha's"

i prefered it when IE was at 98%

please release something to make all those defectors come back to IE again

• User profile image
    bsilby

jamie wrote:
    Re: firefox defections

i prefered it when IE was at 98%

please release something to make all those defectors come back to IE again

You should just tell your visitors to use IE.

var ie=(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('msie')!=-1);

if(!ie)alert("WARNING! Your current browser may not render this game at full speed. You may experience inconsistent game speed, graphics and sound problems. Please try Internet Explorer.");

These two lines in my games have ensured that over 95% of my audience use IE Smiley

• User profile image
    MattShepherd

I agree with Jamie..

Doing web dev for a living, my job is made that much harder with the way different browsers interpret thing differently, ie, CSS padding/margin issue.

Outputting sites which need to be accessible to nearly 100% of the market, we dont have the luxury of pushing people ourselves to use IE.

Come on MS... we are doing our best to be loyal.. work with us here!!

• User profile image
    bsilby

MattShepherd wrote:

we dont have the luxury of pushing people ourselves to use IE.

The thing is, I haven't noticed a drop in web traffic. I'm assuming that when people try to play my dhtml games with FF, they see my suggestion that IE offers better performance and so they use IE. They probably continue to use FF for their other browsing, but understand that IE is currently the better tool to use for my content.

I definitely agree that MS need to pull something out of the bag to maintain their position in the browser market. It is really annoying to see so many articles about how good FF is and how insecure IE is, with no comebacks from microsoft. Its like they're letting Firefox take over without a fight.

I think people should decide for themselves what browser to use. But the decision shouldn't be based on one sided information from Firefox supporters.

Quick, Microsoft... release some statements about how secure IE is now with SP2.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.