Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Blogging's harder than you think

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Its tough being a student on a budget... with a WIAA (not WISA) web-host.

...I can't really afford the SQL Server hosting add-on so I can use DotText.

Are there any ASP.Net blogging applications out there that support Jet4.0/Access? I know some guy wrote a plugin for DotText that enables Jet support, but its a broken link from his webpage.

I experimented with DasBlog at home, but the code it generates is just plain ugly (Eat HTML3.2 and die)

...Again, with MovableType, but there arn't any instructions on getting it to work with IIS when you don't have full control over it (such as if you're in a shared hosting plan)

I'm not interested in a blogging "service", such as LiveJournal, Spaces, DeadJournal, etc... but a blogging application I can use my own page designs and server with.

Any suggestions?

...Other than writing my own engine, but it seems like too much effort, imo

• User profile image
    eagle

Dotnetjunkies.com can have you up and blogging in no time, oh, but it's up to YOU to write the blog!

• User profile image
    Minh

Have you tried MSDE ? The free, SQL-Server-compatible "desktop" engine? Not an enterprise-grade DB, but for a blog, should be OK.

• User profile image
    AerosSaga

If you want use DotNetNuke MyBlog would be an excellent candidate, it works with MS Access.

• User profile image
    sbc

Why do you even need a database for running a blog? Surely there are some systems that use XML as a backend. Thingamablog looks good. No data base required.

SQLite is a good choice for a database as is PostgreSQL or Firebird. All have .NET providers (so could probably work with ASP.NET blog systems).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/adodotnetsqlite/
    http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/npgsql/projdisplay.php
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9028&package_id=62107

Surely they are better database options than Access? EggHeadCafe has an article on creating a blog with SQLite.

• User profile image
    sbc

Minh wrote:
    Have you tried MSDE ? The free, SQL-Server-compatible "desktop" engine? Not an enterprise-grade DB, but for a blog, should be OK.

You cannot run that standalone (i.e. just copy database file to folder with modify access) though can you?

• User profile image
    Minh

sbc wrote:
    Minh wrote:Have you tried MSDE ? The free, SQL-Server-compatible "desktop" engine? Not an enterprise-grade DB, but for a blog, should be OK.

You cannot run that standalone (i.e. just copy database file to folder with modify access) though can you?
    As I understand it, MSDE acts just like SQL-Server, so any pre-existing code written for SQL Server will work for an MSDE backend. I'm sure there is some limitations, though,

• User profile image
    sbc

Minh wrote:
    sbc wrote:
    Minh wrote:Have you tried MSDE ? The free, SQL-Server-compatible "desktop" engine? Not an enterprise-grade DB, but for a blog, should be OK.

As I understand it, MSDE acts just like SQL-Server, so any pre-existing code written for SQL Server will work for an MSDE backend. I'm sure there is some limitations, though,

It's very much like SQL Server, and when used for a weblog there are not really limitations. Limited to 2 GB (would have to be a very big blog to reach that)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/addins/msde/examining.aspx

You still need the backend MSDE server (so can't really use it for hosted solutions). You cannot connect to a file AFAIK (i.e. datasource=C:\path\to\database), unlike Access and the free alternatives. SQL Server Express looks like it could be a lot better than MSDE when it is out.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm fully aware of alternative database products, but remember that I'm on shared hosting... my only backend options are whats provided... and right now thats limited to Jet4.0 and MySQL

I'll certanly have a look into this "MyBlog", sounds attractive (just so long as I can rewrite the templates) Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:
    I'm fully aware of alternative database products, but remember that I'm on shared hosting... my only backend options are whats provided... and right now thats limited to Jet4.0 and MySQL

I'll certanly have a look into this "MyBlog", sounds attractive (just so long as I can rewrite the templates) Smiley
    Well, there's a MySQL ODBC driver out, I believe. Not sure if you have driver install access, but that's an option.

• User profile image
    sbc

W3bbo wrote:

You can run SQLite standalone (and Firebird and PostgreSQL AFAIK). No backend required on the server. The SQLite database file can just be put in the same folder as you would out an Access database. Access is probably easier to set up (thanks to native support by .NET, and a GUI familiar to many).

• User profile image
    sbc

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.