Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

iTunes music store hits 250 Million

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Well it looks like iTMS has officially taken off with 250 million downloads (purchases) since it started.

Anyone any idea how MSN Music is doing? And if it is poorly what could be done to help it catch up?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    Well it looks like iTMS has officially taken off with 250 million downloads (purchases) since it started.

Anyone any idea how MSN Music is doing? And if it is poorly what could be done to help it catch up?

I'll use MSN Music once they either adopt web-standards or at least support Firefox and Opera

• User profile image
    NetRyder

W3bbo wrote:
    Rossj wrote:Well it looks like iTMS has officially taken off with 250 million downloads (purchases) since it started.

I'll use MSN Music once they either adopt web-standards or at least support Firefox and Opera

Not sure what you mean. You can't buy music from iTMS in Firefox or Opera either - you need iTunes.

Most people just tend to buy music from within the media player app itself anyway (be it iTunes or WMP10) - it's much more convenient that way since the file is downloaded and added to your library automatically.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Requirements are here. http://music.msn.com/help/requirements.aspx Sure iTMS ties me into an app but at least that app is available on Windows AND OSX. IE on my mac just crashes at launch now.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

There was a recent item in the Dutch consumer TV program "Kassa" about how easy it is to get free music from the Dutch version of MSN Music. All it takes is typing in someone elses bank account number, there are no verifications done, nothing. This isn't MSN's fault though; the site uses payment services by Firstgate, which has the unsecure system. Several other Dutch online music stores, including Chello's and download.nl also use Firstgate, and are therefore vulnerable to the same fraud.

Firstgate has announced that they will not be solve the issue, and did in fact try to stop "Kassa" from broadcasting the item with a civil court case, but failed.

EDIT: The full article (in Dutch)

• User profile image
    NetRyder

Rossj wrote:
    Requirements are here. http://music.msn.com/help/requirements.aspx Sure iTMS ties me into an app but at least that app is available on Windows AND OSX. IE on my mac just crashes at launch now.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but it sounded more like W3bbo was reluctant to use it because it doesn't support other browsers, rather than other operating systems. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.