Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Gates' $750m vaccination pledge

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204425.stm

What a wonderful thing to do!

I'm now looking at myself and thinking what more can I do.

Arguments about Linux v windows and Java v .Net seem so petty on the face of the world's problems.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Wow! They (bill and melinda) know how to support people.

It's true, does arguments are really petty. You have only to go for vacation for a week (don't take the internet with you). When you come back all those arguments seem ridiculous!

• User profile image
    Marsella

I wonder what percentage that is of his earnings.  A beggar who gives 2p may be donating more relativley speaking.

• User profile image
    AndyC

The cynic in me notes that this announcement comes awfully soon after Microsoft admitted being in the wrong in the EU antitrust trial. Almost as if they were burying that news under the headline of "Bill Gates is really really nice folks!"

Still, don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth, $750m will do a lot of good, regardless of the motives behind it.

• User profile image
    Arran

AndyC wrote:
    The cynic in me notes that this announcement comes awfully soon after Microsoft admitted being in the wrong in the EU antitrust trial. Almost as if they were burying that news under the headline of "Bill Gates is really really nice folks!"

Still, don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth, $750m will do a lot of good, regardless of the motives behind it.

Not matter when they made this pledge someone would have come out with something like this.  Somehow I doubt the motives are business driven.

With regard for the comment about a beggar paying more in relative terms, well you may be right but does that mean he should give more?  $750m is an amazing amount of money that will do so much good.  There will always be the beggar that by giving $10 has given the same as all the money in the world...in relative terms!

• User profile image
    sbc

The poorer seem to be the most generous (as a percentage of total earnings that is) - they also often want nothing in return.

The rich don't get rich by being generous - they have wealth because of greed. The rich are rich because of the poor (through exploitation due to being smarter often). You cannot have one without the other.

That is not to say the donation was not generous, but as a percentage of personal wealth it seems like pocket money.

You do not need to grow more food to stop world hunger - simply eat less, or ration consumption. There is plenty of food (it just happens to be in western world). Much is wasted as well.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Marsella wrote:
    I wonder what percentage that is of his earnings.  A beggar who gives 2p may be donating more relativley speaking.

But this is not the only project he gives money to.

• User profile image
    sbc

He has a foundation:
    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

Unfortunately being generous does not always solve problems. Greed is a human condition. If Africa changed places with the US in terms of wealth, it would be pretty much the same as it is now.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've got mixed feelings about the B&MG foundation

Granted, every single thing they've done has been positive

...But aparently they're regular contributors to an ultraconservative think-tank ("The Discovery Institute") that promotes the teaching of creationism in state schools

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2004-11-28-schools-evolution_x.htm

there was something about this on PandasThumb.org the other day as well

• User profile image
    Minh

Hey, that's a lot more than the $10,000 Mr. Bush gave to the Tsunami victims. Still, $10,000 isn't something to scoff at ... I mean that's about 33 iPods right there.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

$10,000 from George Bush still wouldn't be okay if it was from his own out-of-pocket expenses, he's on what? $400,000 a year? (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/14/1089694429295.html?from=storylhs&oneclick=true)

...Thats a 40th of his yearly salary, he makes twice that in a month, consider that he's a millionaire right now anyway

Considering that he's spent more time on vacation than the previous 4 presidents combined, I think he can afford more than $10,000 to charity

Especilly when he urged the US population to donate... seems rather hypocritical that he didn't donate that much

Forgive me for being cynical, but I suspect he "donated" the $10,000 to US companies and contractors (or worse... right-wing Christian foundations bent on "saving" the masses) to help rebuild the area affected by the tsunami,... just like Iraq

• User profile image
    PhillyPocket

So I'm assuming that Marsella, AndyC, and sbc will be providing us with full disclosure of their earnings vs charitable contributions.
    Not that it would make the Gates foundations gift worth any less. It must be awfull to look at everything and see something negative.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Marsella wrote:

Atleast he is donating to some cause. There are many people who do not bother about others.

• User profile image
    Marsella

Giving to charity is a very positive thing, but making sure everyone knows about it and how much makes it look like a PR stunt. An expensive one at that. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.