Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Video

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Try it out.

Currently it is not particularly useful (no videos and it is still a beta) but I would guess the potential is HUGE.

So now when I miss SGA I can search for it and if they don't have a vid of it available I can download the schedule for my area Smiley

• User profile image
    Donkslayer

Took the words right out of my mouth Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Minh

Now, we have a reason to transcribe those C9 videos.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Note to self:

Free pr0n! Big Smile

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Minh wrote:
    Now, we have a reason to transcribe those C9 videos.

Heh - I just logged on to post the same idea Smiley

Putting a similar feature on Channel 9 would tackle a serious problem that's only going to get worse with time - how can someone find a Channel 9 video that they're interested in? Right now they either have to

1. Page through all 354 videos, or
    2. Use Channel 9 search, which indexes comments to a video rather than the video itself, and therefore gets lots of false hits

A Google-video-style search tool for Channel 9 that indexed transcripts of the videos and included snapshots of different points in the video would be much more useful,

• User profile image
    Minh

jonathanh wrote:
    A Google-video-style search tool for Channel 9 that indexed transcripts of the videos and included snapshots of different points in the video would be much more useful,
    I guess the problem is manpower. Does MS have a department for something like this? I know the .Net shows are transcribed and SYNC'd. Can you borrow those guys?

• User profile image
    Rossj

I played a while ago with using speech-text in order to index podcasts, as I seem to recall Autonomy claiming to be able to index video a couple of years ago. Needless to say I got bored when it turned out it wasn't going to be a quick job. Even if the 'hit' rate was 50% though it would still introduce problems because the other 50% might contain totally irrelevant words. Surely you MS guys have some stuff to help with this ? Wink

• User profile image
    Minh

Rossj wrote:
    I played a while ago with using speech-text in order to index podcasts
    Hey, that's a great idea. What if you can feed it through a DragonSpeak or something like that? Wouldn't be able to automate it 100% w/ things like acronyms & such, but would be a great labor saver.

• User profile image
    Rossj

I was trying with festival but got too tied up in it. I've got a copy of IBMs stuff at work and there is some Java stuff for integrating. Doesn't Microsoft have some voice recognition?

• User profile image
    Charles

jonathanh wrote:
    Minh wrote: Now, we have a reason to transcribe those C9 videos.

Heh - I just logged on to post the same idea Smiley

Putting a similar feature on Channel 9 would tackle a serious problem that's only going to get worse with time - how can someone find a Channel 9 video that they're interested in? Right now they either have to

1. Page through all 354 videos, or
    2. Use Channel 9 search, which indexes comments to a video rather than the video itself, and therefore gets lots of false hits

Agreed, but this won't happen anytime soon on Channel 9.

Also, there is one more way to search without getting non-video post hits:

3. Use Channel 9 search and narrow the search to posts by User = The Channel 9 Team. That will get you about 98% pure video post results (meaning the first post in the thread that contains the embedded video).

Interesting idea and I agree that C9 needs to have more efficient mechanisms for finding information that you're interested in. We have started tagging video posts with metadata... Stay tuned.

Charles

• User profile image
    Maurits

Why not submit the Channel9 video list to Yahoo and let them handle the indexing?  No need to implement a Channel9 Video search...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.