Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Project Honey Pot

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sbc

A project to identify email harvesters.
    http://www.projecthoneypot.org/

The only problem is that many may be users that have had their PC's compromised (i.e. 'Zombie' PC's).

For this to be truly effective you need the big companies backing it as well (i.e. Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Sun).

Perhaps one day RSS (or its successor) will make email almost obsolete. The server that hosts the feed will have to be compromised, so spoofing is less of an issue. Only a one way format though (you can't 'reply' to an RSS feed).

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

sbc wrote:

.........Perhaps one day RSS (or its successor) will make email almost obsolete. The server that hosts the feed will have to be compromised, so spoofing is less of an issue. Only a one way format though (you can't 'reply' to an RSS feed).

What?????? !!!!  You are kidding. Really.

• User profile image
    Maurits

For mailing lists, maybe... not for one-to-one communication

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I don't really have any problems with spam... I create an alias for every website I need to register an email address with, so I can isolate where I got the spam from, then raise the issue with the site's admin

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:
    I don't really have any problems with spam... I create an alias for every website I need to register an email address with, so I can isolate where I got the spam from, then raise the issue with the site's admin

Yes, but I just pulled your email address, w3bdevil at w3bdevil.com, off of the pages of this forum.  Are you going to raise the issue with these forums?  Unless you only use that email address on these forums, then it's probable that someone else has done the same and will spam you on that email address Smiley

note: I added some obfuscation to w3bbo's email address so that I didn't contribute to the problem.

• User profile image
    Shaded

W3bbo wrote:

Brilliant!  I don't know why more people don't do this.  It is the simplest thing in the world to make a new email address.  Why spend your lifetime crying about one that went bad?

And to answer a later post, I blieve he is doing the same thing I am - not using a functional address for my profile.

If someone wants to reach me they can comment my blog or post here.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:

Yes, but I just pulled your email address, w3bdevil at w3bdevil.com, off of the pages of this forum.  Are you going to raise the issue with these forums?  Unless you only use that email address on these forums, then it's probable that someone else has done the same and will spam you on that email address Smiley

Because thats my MSN Messenger address

I don't use it for email Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.