Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ActiveSync deleted my contacts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

...I spent 4 hours today sorting through more than 500 contacts in outlook, my mobile phone, thunderbird, windows address book, outlook express outlook book, and more besides

...Then I slot my PDA in its cradle and the next thing y'know... it deletes all my contacts "just to keep them in sync"

...Because my PDA didn't have any contacts on it

ARGH!

...Okay, before I posted this, I managed to recover my contacts from the Trash can.... I was lucky this time

So, does anyone know how I can transfer contacts to my PDA without deleting them from Outlook?

(Its a PocketPC 2000 PDA... not a PocketPC 2002 or Windows Mobile 2003)

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Check the SETTINGS before you sync.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

What settings?

...The "replace overrride" thingie only pops up when there's a duplicate

But nevermind, I reformatted my PDA and synched it fine, I had a load of junk on there anyway

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

That's one thing that's better about Palm synch. It has a setting where you can select what it will do on the next synch, with the ability to choose from "synch", "copy PC to handheld" and "copy handheld to PC".

• User profile image
    stephbu

Sven Groot wrote:
    That's one thing that's better about Palm synch. It has a setting where you can select what it will do on the next synch, with the ability to choose from "synch", "copy PC to handheld" and "copy handheld to PC".

ActiveSync has similar replication choices and some neat conflict resolution options. You'll find them in "Settings" property page for each category of sync'd data e.g. Right-click on Contacts. Default settings for new PC/Device partnerships preserve PC data during sync if I remember right.

Needs careful choice or you could be testing your data backup strategy.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

stephbu wrote:
    You'll find them in "Settings" property page for each category of sync'd data e.g. Right-click on Contacts.

See!

• User profile image
    eagle

Zippy, go easy on the kid, he’s going blind from that obsessive habit he has.

• User profile image
    gman

You weren't "lucky", the deleted contacts go into the trashcan *by design*. Anyway, like the other reply said, just set to OVERWRITE your pocket pc.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV wrote:
    stephbu wrote:You'll find them in "Settings" property page for each category of sync'd data e.g. Right-click on Contacts.

See!

When I open "Contacts Sync Settings" I don't have any "replace PC" or "replace PDA" option

All I get is:

"Synchronise all contacts"
    "Synchronise only the following contacts" <massive list>
    "Synchronise in the following categories" <categories list>

eagle wrote:

Zippy, go easy on the kid, he’s going blind from that obsessive habit he has.

Obsessive habit?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

My iPaq and/or ActiveSync flakes out on a pretty regular basis and can cause things like this to happen.  You have 2 options.  1 is to follow the advice above and hunt through the ActiveSync interface for settings.  You can't change the settings while the device is synced and the location of the settings for calendar will depend on which version of ActiveSync you have.  I believe that they are up to version 3.8 at this point, so get the latest if you can.

The other option is to remove the partnership between your computer and the PDA.  Once you've done this, you can rebuild the partnership.  You'll need to have the sync cable around to do this.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Whilst I've resolved the problem... I am interested in how you remove partnerships

So... go on, how do you? Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    Whilst I've resolved the problem... I am interested in how you remove partnerships

So... go on, how do you? Wink

File/Delete Partnership.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.