Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Application Blocks

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wbarthol

I think the Application Blocks that MS are fabulous and they let developers build a complicated application very quickly, however, it would be great if MS could include a pre-compiled strongly named assembly in the download. Is there a reason this isn't done?

• User profile image
    librarian

Most of the App Blocks are designed to be guidlines, not the finished product.  Because of this, you should mold them to fit in your framework by manipulating the source.  So being compiled would be worthless in most places.

• User profile image
    wbarthol

Well not really, the Data Access Application Block is usable in most places out-of-the-box and so is the Configuration Management Application Block.

• User profile image
    tomholl

Glad you find the Application Blocks useful! There are a number of reasons why we initially chose the source-only route, but we are currently revisiting this decision. Although I can't promise an outcome at this stage, I can tell you that we are spending significant effort in improving the "out of the box" experience for the next generation of the Application Blocks.

thanks
    Tom Hollander
    Product Manager, Microsoft patterns & practices

• User profile image
    wbarthol

That is great to hear Tom. So far I've been very impressed, I haven't had the chance to try them all yet but the User Interface Process application block is most definately the next on my list.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.