Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Google OS

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

"Many believe Google's next step will be to use its unmatched processing and storage capacity to invite people to house things on Google's network that they normally keep on their computer desktops, such as documents, digital photos, spreadsheets and songs. All those files would be accessible from any Internet-connected device and easily searchable using the technology that made Google famous. That could mean trouble for Microsoft. The more you can do on the Internet, the less important your PC becomes. Gates has been worrying about the Internet making Windows less relevant since 1995.

Full Story

I found this very interesting - although the article talks mainly about technology and servers - I believe it is the trust factor that is going to come more and more into play - as a serious contender for MS. I mean - how do you fight a company whos mission statement is "Do no evil" ? Especially if your reputation is of the biggest baddest conglomerate around.

Simplicity and Friendliness are 2 "technologies" google has that MS just doesnt seem to get.

If Google provided sometype of "Cutomise my google os" feature - I dont think Id have any need for windows.. except to run apps like photoshop/corel/frontpage.

Thoughts? 

• User profile image
    themaffeo

From my limited and probably completly wrong understanding, if Google tried to get into the OS market, It would be through more of a 'Dumb Terminal' architecture (terminal runs a simple os that provides framwork for connecting to google servers and displaying content). 

If this was the case, I would see this as being a larger contender for MSFT than Linux.  Mom and Dad (or Grandma and Grandpa) want a computer that works like a tv; Turn it on, press a few buttons and you get the stuff you wanted.  A terminal, connected to a high speed connection could be very usful to people who only turn on their computer once a week to check their email.

Of course, the issue google will have with any sort of network storage, regardless of delivery format, is will people feel safe giving personal information to a company that is first and formost a search engine.

• User profile image
    themaffeo

As an addition: If google ever *did* go this route, you can be sure MSFT would move resources into the same direction.  In fact MSFT has been trying to expand beyond the standard 'PC' paradigm for some time now. (PocketPC, TabletPC, Windows Media Center, WMA, etc).

And people wonder why I think msft stock is a good buy.

• User profile image
    thatis

Just an OS isnt enough. they would have to provide Goggle-Office too. i think that is a bit much even for Google and all their prowess. to continue in that direction what about google-photoshop and all the supporting stuff like google-type--come to think of it this is almost undoable when you consider all the additional stuff people do with their computers. storing stuff is a very small percentage of what most people actually do.

• User profile image
    EvilMonkey

Forgive the simplistic view, but if Google is offering me the ability to store all sorts of documents, images, files, etc., how exactly does that take the place of my OS?  Sounds like a great file server, but i still need an OS to run apps that let me DO something with these files, right?

• User profile image
    cjbreisch

jamie wrote:
    "I believe it is the trust factor that is going to come more and more into play - as a serious contender for MS.

Am I missing something?  Did you just call a company that records every search you make and every link you follow as a result of those searches, and never expires that data...trustworthy?

From a trust standpoint, there's no contest between MS and Google.  The Redmond gang wins hands down.

• User profile image
    jamie

I think we all know by now that what ever some other high profile company is doing - MS will be doing it too.

This is a good thing.  The big slow MS steamroller slowly taking popular stuff - developed elsewhere ( except clear type) and "rolling it in".

They dont really have a choice - i mean - MS cant just go out and say - Hey look - we changed the whole interface to windows with a central page that your apps interact with! ( it would break everything and some people wouldnt like it - although i would).

No - they are stuck - taking what works and making it - for the most part - work better - or at least with more things.

My point above was do i want to pay 120$ a year for 15 megs of spam ridden msn email? or nothing for a gig?

Still waiting to see how ms and yahoo respond to that.

Lastly - the perception factor - mentioned above: Google spent the last 5 years with ONE graphic on thier site - with the LEAST adds of any big company - with the best search and simplist interface.

I think even apple - another company known for "friendliness- although high prices and closed technology - is also missing the boat here..

people like google. they like the word.  how it looks and sounds.  It just won most valuable global brand btw.

and it is for all these reasons.. i wish you luck - but how can you annouce:

NEW! Longhorn is here!
    - Friendlier!
    - Only ONE graphic!
    - Faster than light
    - Now with COOLness
    - Includes TASTE!

RE: above post - they WILL provide a simple google office that MOST people will love for its SIMPLICITY
    Smiley

• User profile image
    Joe Average

Hmmm... I wonder what Google is up to. Something the (Dutch) telecom operators are doing now? Giving away hardware (mobile phones incase of the telcos, PCs in case of Google) for a subscription based service...

Is that whishful thinking nowadays?

• User profile image
    jamie

"From a trust standpoint, there's no contest between MS and Google.  The Redmond gang wins hands down."...with 2 aces up it's sleeve and a pointed gun under the table
    Wink

Machines read the google mail not humans
    I trust google - you can argue all you want with that statement - but i belive they wont be "evil"

I will admit that "not guaranteeing your messages will be deleted" somewhat disturbing - but they have said they are reviewing aspects of the service.

Too soon to tell

• User profile image
    redvamp128

Well here is something that possibly you may or may not have seen. So have fun with it Smiley

http://www.msntv.com/pc/whatis_default.aspx

• User profile image
    CplCarrot

Is this not a similar concept to the AOL one which supplies its "own" browser, email client Etc etc. This speculation just takes it one step on to include the "basic" WP and Spreadsheet functions as used by granny.

I can see a split between users who just want the very basics and users who use digital images, video and "power" tools. I see Microsoft targeting the second group and conceding the first group to users who find Open Office too complex. Lets face it its the second group who are more likely to have and spend money.

Just my 2p worth

Charlie

• User profile image
    Joe Average

redvamp128 wrote:
    Well here is something that possibly you may or may not have seen. So have fun with it Smiley

http://www.msntv.com/pc/whatis_default.aspx
    Who is going to pay $ 21.95 a month for watching a couple of webpages, send a few e-mail of chat a little.

Most webpages are not WebTV ready, so they render not all that great on a screen like that. Then again, a TV has a resolution of 320 x 200, or something like that.

• User profile image
    jamie

i agree with joe

I think youll find google will not go the "charge your customers" route.

If google did provide the above service you can bet it will be FREE

you know... like the INTERNET Wink

* it would also be less cluttered and faster ( **and this is from a graphics guy -  even i have come to love the elegance and simlicity that is google

• User profile image
    Joe Average

But not entirely free of ads Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

themaffeo wrote:
    If this was the case, I would see this as being a larger contender for MSFT than Linux.  Mom and Dad (or Grandma and Grandpa) want a computer that works like a tv; Turn it on, press a few buttons and you get the stuff you wanted.

I feel that you're living in the past.  i'm not sure how many people want this anymore.  I feel that it'd be less than 1% of computer buyers.

• User profile image
    jamie

true.

just like tv.

* but the ads would be relvant to what your watching and would be unobtrusive ( no flashing animating - NO graphics)

• User profile image
    themaffeo

Jaz wrote:

I feel that you're living in the past.  i'm not sure how many people want this anymore.  I feel that it'd be less than 1% of computer buyers.

I (naturally) don't think so, =) but its entirely possible.

However, I can guarantee you that the principle is sound.

Making the ridiculously complex ridiculously easy is our job as software developers. 

The true question is, what do we, after removing all ‘techie’ sort of applications use our computers for?  What percentage of our non-development time do we spend on the internet?

If we, as “guru’s” use a small percentage of available applications a large percentage of the time, how much more so the user who doesn’t know the definition of ‘web browser’?

In any event, a move to make life simpler for our users is generally a good move. And will be widely welcomed.

1)    Simple product encapsulates complex functionality

2)      People buy product

3)      People recommend product based on ease of use

4) Profit!

• User profile image
    jamie

1)    Simple product encapsulates complex functionality

2)      People get product free

3)      People recommend product based on ease of use

4) Company Profits through advertisers/partners!

Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.