Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Too Much Monkey Business

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jernej

So... many out there seem to "hate" Microsoft in one way or another.

Microsoft is the bad and ugly monopolyst in SW business. If it were not for Microsoft, many more companies could sell their software. Microsoft ruins our careers, while we can't produce "..." (put-your-piece-of-windows-itnergated-or-other-MS-product-like-in). Bill Gates must be bad, because he's rich. He's rich only because he steals from the poor.

So I watch some videos here on channel9. To know the "hell of sw business" from inside! Only it does not look like hell. And so I think to my self...

Sure, Bill Gates is rich. Microsoft is the biggest. But is it the bad and ugly? I think Microsoft is fair. It's fair towards its customers, developers, owners, the society.

I'd say Bill Gates is the most modest richest man ever. He owns so many $ I can't even imagine. But does he spend it for himself? (ok, sure, some of it). No. Instead, he built this amazing company. He invested in real estate and technology needed for SW development. But (and here I'm finally getting to my point Smiley) all those assets mean nothing without people. The developers (and all other, of course). So, Bill Gates invested in developers. He gave them (you) the toys to play with. To create new top-of-the top SW. To boldly go where no developer has ever gone before.

Now compare this to all the "free software" s**t.
    (I'm not gonna go into free as in freedom vs free as in beer stuff, but interesting enough, most (all??) "free software" IS free as in beer.)
    FS is based on work of thousands of developers world-wide getting nothing for what they do! Not even free Coke, not to speek about sallary. FS is the most exploiting establishment ever. And it IS going to ruin our careers, while noone is going to buy software anymore.

Just something to think about

J

would be interesting to post on /. to compare feedback Smiley)

• User profile image
    jamie

Bill Gates also gives more to charity than any human in the history of EARTH.

that said...

Open source is good for some stuff.
    Especially learning

In related news:  Wink

"Microsoft Hires Linux Salesman who got Munich to switch to OSS"

http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5195902.html?tag=nl

better watch out Steve!  haha

• User profile image
    redvamp128

you also neglect to mention- That Microsoft gives back as well.

Computers for Schools- Software for charity organzations- not to mention the investments in people sutch as scolarships for underprivilaged and top standing students.

• User profile image
    MyGeneration

I'm probably going to take heat for this but a monopoly is great for the software industry (I'm not kidding). It makes my life so easy. What better way to create a standard. I have nothing against Sun, Linux, the open source community, but in many ways when I wander out of the Microsoft sandbox it seems like chaos, however, I do use open source products in our product. I'm talking as a computer consultant here and from my perspective our .NET projects have much lower risk and are far easier and cheaper to implement than our non .NET projects, which vary so tremendously in their makeup.

• User profile image
    sbc

I don't think free software will ever put people out of work simply because most people will want extra features adding to the product - they are often never content with what they have and just want more. There is also no such thing as the perfect program - so people will keep wanting developers until that free program is perfect (which it never will be). Developers can get paid to develop Free Software (IBM, Redhat, Novell, Sun) - so not every developer does it for free.

The fact that thousands do work for nothing, shows there is some appeal. They often have regular jobs (possibly supporting free software) and spend their free time developing. The other thing they get from doing free software is a good reputation if they are good at coding. Also jobs are created for supporting (and possibly extending) that software.

Linus Torvalds is probably one of the most respected and admired developer in the Free Software movement - without him Linux would not exist, Redhat / SuSE would not exist and neither would this site. Without Free Software Windows may not have gone down in price, the Internet would not exist as we know it today (because of essential programs like BIND and sendmail).

Free Software has probably helped Microsoft grow as large as it has done.  It is also very appealing to Governments, Universities and non-profits. Governments and Universites have the resources to be able to develop and support the systems, and non-profits may not even be able to afford Microsoft software (or do they get a special discount?). China are also really into Open Source (although that may be mainly due to being anti-American).

TCP/IP is a free protocol and without it Windows would not be as it is - computers would only be able to communicate with other computers with the same software (i.e. Windows would use NetBEUI, Novell IPX/SPX)

Wait a few years and we will see what happens - will Microsoft still have 90% market share when Longhorn comes out? Only time will tell. So before criticising Free Software wait until after Longhorn - then we will see if it is a good business incentive to use Free Software.

• User profile image
    LazyCoder

He owns so many $ I can't even imagine. But does he spend it for himself? (ok, sure, some of it). No. Instead, he built this amazing company.

uh, yeah actually he does spend a lot on himself. Actually he spends a lot of money buying houses around him to leave vacant so he won't have any neighbors.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001837979_gatesland16e.html

• User profile image
    jamie

sbc said: Linus Torvalds is probably one of the most respected and admired developer in the Free Software movement

some like Pepsi..  others prefer Coke...CLASSIC
    Wink

Disclaimer:

- Steve Jobs = oh i dunno fresca? Tab? haha
    In a way he was the first computer businessman - way more than gates - gates was a geek.
    Jobs - the businessman - leaned more on arts side, gates the geek - leaned more on business side.

in the end - business or no business..
    bill gates - the original - famous - geek.

..like ..er.. elvis  ( scarry thought)
    haha

ps - im sure there are those who would list it as:

Gates - Coke   Jobs - Pepsi    Torvalds - JOLT!
    Wink

• User profile image
    Knute

jamie wrote:

ps - im sure there are those who would list it as:

Gates - Coke   Jobs - Pepsi    Torvalds - JOLT!
    Wink

Gates - Champagne(Dom Perignon)
    Jobs - Budweiser
    Torvalds - Sparkling Apple Cider

Wink

• User profile image
    LazyCoder

You obviously haven't read any biographies of Steve Jobs. Wink

Gates = Mtn. Dew (programmers punch of course)
    Jobs = Champagne
    Woz = hmmm, either Budweiser or a nice CA. wine.A friendly drink.
    Torvalds = Homebrew beer. Smiley

• User profile image
    SMac

I see alot of the OSS proponents pulling the "oh, don't even get me started on .Net" retoric, when truly they have no clue.. It's also amazing how many developers just frankly shun any of the MSDN developer events/launches/road shows/whatever and they're the ones asking you all the questions and saying how hard this whole .net thing is and whatnot..

I'd take open knowlege (via MSDN events) over OSS anyway..

(Oh yeah, did I mention that these events are FREE and you usually GET FREE STUFF?)

• User profile image
    sbc

Nothing wrong with .NET - just a lot harder to develop if you don't have Visual Studio or Borland C# Builder. What is needed is more .NET IDE's.

Do you get MSDN events in the UK (maybe there are in London, but what about the North)?

Perhaps there should be online events as well?

• User profile image
    dhavalhirdh​av

yeah very true..

I always liked Bill Gates, he is my inspiration.. I got his poster in my room... and Open Source well, its like.. just think if you get a laptop free, you wont care about it.. but if you pay for a laptop then you will obiously care about it.. its a matter of value.. when you get things for free you dont value it.. so better to have things not really much free.. on educational side Open Source is great.. but when it comes to commercial side.. Open Source.. nah.. dont like it.

• User profile image
    SMac

There's a few open source (free) .Net IDE's out there..

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Definately sure that there are UK events.. there's a UK section of the MSDN page...

As for online events there are a ton:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/showsandwebcasts/

granted you best have broadband -- but these are updated very often with new content.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.