Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

tiny request:  Rename

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

if you have clicked on "show extentions for file types" as most everyone i know does - and you hit rename you get:  

this.txt

in Longhorn - or XP update - could you make it go:

this.txt

• User profile image
    Blkbam

I'd have to add a major I agree with that one.
    Also get rid of the remaning a read-only file message.  Why do I care if I'm only renaming it?  It'll still be read-only when I'm finished.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Great idea. Can't count the number of times I renamed a file only to get that "Are you sure you want to change the extension" dialog pop up.

Along similar lines:

a) Get rid of the ability to hide extensions altogether. It's evil and it doesn't help anyone (aside from the renaming issue, which Jamie's solution would handle better).

b) Display filenames like "A really really really long filename that's probably a virus.exe" as "A really ... .exe" so that virus writers can't hide the extension from the user.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I dunno...

Often when I rename, I rename the extension as well (I'm immaculate when it comes to naming files initially)

How about 5 types of "show extension" option?

a) Always show & edit extension
    b) Always show extension but no default select (as you just suggested)
    c) Always show unknown extensions
    d) Always show the following extensions <Click here to set>
    e) Always hide the following extensions <Click here to set>
    f) Hide non-document extensions (eg *.dll but not *.txt)
    g) Always hide all extensions

...I was thinking of making d and e NOT mutually exclusive of each other, there are some I'd like to always hide but some I'd always like to show

One thing I do want though....

Is no more "special" treatment towards certain filetypes... *.lnk, *.url, *.htm (with the "xxx_files" folder thingie)

Can you add an option to disable all this for Power Users?

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie wrote:
    if you have clicked on "show extentions for file types" as most everyone i know does - and you hit rename you get:  

this.txt

this.txt

Ì'm fine with the way it is now. I often rename the whole file (also the extension)... But your idea isn't also that bad. It should be only easy to extend the selection to the whole text.

• User profile image
    Shaded

Tried pointing at this and quadriple clicking?

<edit>
    ... nevermind I was remembering that rename click wrong.

I agree this would be cool.

• User profile image
    robert

jamie wrote:

this.txt

this.txt

PDC 2003 build of longhorn worked like exactly like this.

• User profile image
    jamie

littleguru wrote:

I often rename the whole file

this happens sometimes - but do you have a digital camera?  ever want to rename 30 pics?

DS000023.jpg

the defualt highlight should be for most common option - which *i think* is just rename - not repurpose

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

littleguru wrote:
    jamie wrote:if you have clicked on "show extentions for file types" as most everyone i know does - and you hit rename you get:  

this.txt

this.txt

Ì'm fine with the way it is now. I often rename the whole file (also the extension)... But your idea isn't also that bad. It should be only easy to extend the selection to the whole text.

Me too (I am feeling lazy to type all the same things)

• User profile image
    jamie

re  PDC 2003 build of longhorn worked like exactly like this.

if it does GREAT!

• User profile image
    Marsella

Another request would be when you highlight text, it is copyied and click the middle mouse button pastes it.  If you have ever used Linux GUI youll know what I mean.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

jamie wrote:
    this.txt
    this.txt

Yep, Gnome does it like that and it's handy.

• User profile image
    Simo

yes please. make it so.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.