Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel9 built on Slashdot technology

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Maurits

Small world...

Check out the source of any Channel9 RSS feed
    Say, the Video Feed

Notice the "slash" namespace:
    xmlns:slash="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/slash/"
    <slash:comments>6</slash:comments>

Slash is the source code and database that was originally used to create Slashdot

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Maurits wrote:
    Small world...

Check out the source of any Channel9 RSS feed
    Say, the Video Feed

Notice the "slash" namespace:
    xmlns:slash="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/slash/"
    <slash:comments>6</slash:comments>

Slash is the source code and database that was originally used to create Slashdot

Smiley

P.S. And the Channel 9 Editor is: 
    FreeTextBox v2 (2.0.5500.30918)
    from... http://www.freetextbox.com/

$49 or $199 for the 3.0 version, though.  Not quite as interesting as the Slash section, however.

• User profile image
    ZiRo

Wait till i launch my FreeRadioButton...

If i can charge $199 a hit for that, i'll be a demi-god.

• User profile image
    DylanGreene

That just means that Channel 9 is importing the Slash namespace.  That way an XML parser knows what data to expect in each XML node.

It has nothing to do with using Slashdot's code.

Since Channel 9 is written using ASP.net, I kind of doubt it shares any code with Slashdot, but nice thought.  Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

Dylan is correct.

Remember, our forums are built with the Community Server ASP.NET Forums sources (forked), FlexWiki sources (forked) and code we wrote for custom features and the glue to make it all work seamlessly together. 

Isn't /. written in php, running on Apache, on Linux?

Charles

• User profile image
    jamie

..daughters father to Dobermans pinning down Steve Martin:

"RELEASE!"

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

<slash:comments> is part of an RSS module which indicates how many comments there are. It's become pretty standard to use this in RSS feeds.

See RDF Site Summary 1.0 Modules: Slash.

It's not actually necessary for the namespace prefix to be slash. You can use any valid XML namespace name - say, foo - as long as you specify xmlns:foo="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/slash/". Some aggregators may not understand if you do, though - it depends how well the implementer understood XML Namespaces.

C9 also supports the Comment API, at least for the feed for the first message in a thread. It's not supported for the individual post feeds at the moment.

In browsing through the feeds I realised that C9 actually does associate posts with a parent. It just doesn't present a fully threaded view (e.g. CodeProject.com's forums).

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Charles wrote:

Dylan is correct.

Remember, our forums are built with the Community Server ASP.NET Forums sources (forked), FlexWiki sources (forked) and code we wrote for custom features and the glue to make it all work seamlessly together. 

Charles

/. utilizes Linux, Apache and PHP.

• User profile image
    Manip

Charles wrote:

No. Perl, Apache + Linux.

• User profile image
    Maurits

DylanGreene wrote:
    using Slashdot's code

I didn't mean to imply that Channel9 was using Slashdot's code.  But it is using technology that was developed for Slashdot, and later released.

• User profile image
    Ovidiu.​Platon

Maurits wrote:
    DylanGreene wrote: using Slashdot's code

I didn't mean to imply that Channel9 was using Slashdot's code.  But it is using technology that was developed for Slashdot, and later released.

No, it uses a communication standard called RSS which has nothing to do with Slashdot.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.