Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

This one's for Beer28

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathanh
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

When they mean "scrub it to make sure nothing bad is in there" they are most likely looking for, um, adult language. Like "who the #### wrote this ####?"

• User profile image
    tranbonium

I think that this would be very helpful, not only would it allow beginners to learn more about how others code, but it would also allow more advanced users to take this and make their own winforms controls and other such objects.  Many programmers learn by example, and this would be a great example, especially if most of the important comments were left in!

I learned alot more about arraylists and how to code one by looking through the java source code.  My vote is a strong yes!

• User profile image
    Blkbam

I also think this is a good idea.  I've recently been trying to write my own combobox to extend its functionality but haven't been able to find any source on how to do it from scratch.  I think now we'll see a lot of components being written the don't suck.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Blkbam wrote:
    I also think this is a good idea.  I've recently been trying to write my own combobox to extend its functionality but haven't been able to find any source on how to do it from scratch.  I think now we'll see a lot of components being written the don't suck.

I don't know if it is required. There is Reflector out there (as mentioned) in the posting. Perhaps the comments in the code could help. They are missing with reflector Wink

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Whohooooo, they listened to me! Well, partly:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=36997

• User profile image
    iStation

Wow to nice surprise!
    :O

• User profile image
    Blkbam

littleguru wrote:
    Blkbam wrote: I also think this is a good idea.  I've recently been trying to write my own combobox to extend its functionality but haven't been able to find any source on how to do it from scratch.  I think now we'll see a lot of components being written the don't suck.

I don't know if it is required. There is Reflector out there (as mentioned) in the posting. Perhaps the comments in the code could help. They are missing with reflector Wink

Though comments help, I really don't need them since I can read the code.  Reflector is good if I want to see part of what's going on but if I want to see the whole thing together or debug it it doesn't help, especially if you're trying to develop a control from another. 

• User profile image
    Sampy

All those who think Beer is actually Stallman in disguise, raise your hand.

• User profile image
    geekling

Oh, don't mind Beer28! He's just a overzealous little fellah; he does not represent most of us Linux users, just a very vocal minority. There's nothing wrong with Windows, I spend most of my time on it!

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I doubt it, but if we find out that he's on Torvald's payroll, he's in a lotta trouble...

• User profile image
    Andrei P

I'm watching the Channel 9 forums for a while now, and by looking at Beer28's posts, I can't stop from noticing that they all have some reference to Linux and/or open source.
    I find this pretty disturbing since this a Microsoft community. But what I noticed from this, is that the Microsoft community is a very well educated one. Although Beer28's messages are by far an advertisment for attracting Linux developers, I still don't see any Microsoft supporter cursing him.

Well, I'm afraid I can't say the same about the Linux community. If a Microsoft supporter would join some Linux forum and do some MS propaganda there, I don't think he would get out alive Smiley. He would make Slashdot's headlines for sure. Oh, and I know the Linux communities from two years ago, when I 'tried' to use Mandrake and RedHat for a month.

• User profile image
    Charles

Andrei P. wrote:
    I'm watching the Channel 9 forums for a while now, and by looking at Beer28's posts, I can't stop from noticing that they all have some reference to Linux and/or open source.
    I find this pretty disturbing since this a Microsoft community. But what I noticed from this, is that the Microsoft community is a very well educated one. Although Beer28's messages are by far an advertisment for attracting Linux developers, I still don't see any Microsoft supporter cursing him.

Well, I'm afraid I can't say the same about the Linux community. If a Microsoft supporter would join some Linux forum and do some MS propaganda there, I don't think he would get out alive Smiley. He would make Slashdot's headlines for sure. Oh, and I know the Linux communities from two years ago, when I 'tried' to use Mandrake and RedHat for a month.

Everybody is welcome here. This is not an MS-only place. That would be boring, wouldn't it?

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    Maurits

scobleizer wrote:
    When they mean "scrub it to make sure nothing bad is in there" they are most likely looking for, um, adult language. Like "who the #### wrote this ####?"

Hmmm... of course, this is a lot more work than is probably justified, but it's an interesting problem so...

You could do this.
    Parse out each comment, and stick an identifier on it. (file name/line number, for example)

Replace each comment with /* COMMENT[identifier goes here] */

Have someone spend a couple of hours a week checking off the extracted comments as "valuable - keep" or "worthless - delete" or "eh... look at again later"

Put the "valueable - keep" comments back in

Release the code

In the readme put a link to a web page where you can enter the identifier for an unreleased comment to view its status.  If the status was "eh... look at again later", send an email to a Microsoft employee who can rewrite the comment, or change the status.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

scobleizer wrote:

Couldn't they just run it through the famous channel9 dirty word filter?

I can imagine the code would look pretty funny:

// who the (I need to watch my language) wrote this (I need to watch my language)

I'm on a few mail lists that have started to use this for fun Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

You should read the Linux kernel source comments, always a source for a good laugh. I remember one particular function that called a function that wouldn't return, but still had some statements behind that call (so that was unreachable code). The comments justified these unreachable statements by saying "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me." Wink

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

scobleizer wrote:

This story won't pass C9's naughtyness-filter:
    When the Windows sources were leaked last year, this guy went over the code comments. Amusing.

Selznak wrote:

While surprisingly informal, there are limits to how far the programmers go. There are no derogatory references to Microsoft or Windows themselves. Bill Gates is never mentioned. There are no racist or homophobic slurs. I saw only one drug reference.

Link to full article.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I don't remember the exact function, it's too long ago. It's one of the functions dealing with process management though. Considering it doesn't return, I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with exit or abort.

The kernel version was 2.2 or 2.4 (I think the former, but I'm not entirely sure). Shouldn't be too hard to find, I think, download the kernel source and search for paranoid shouldn't give too many results.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.