Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google: let's make /everything/ beta

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Maurits

This is just silly.

The Google home page has six main links:
    Web | Images | Groups | News | Froogle | Local

Of these six main sections, four are beta.  The beta sections actually outnumber the released sections two to one.

How can any user take Google seriously if they're not willing to support their products?

• User profile image
    Sampy

Good to see someone else thinks this is as silly as I do.

• User profile image
    JDanielSmith

And Google News has been almost unchanged since it was introduced - where are the RSS/Atom feeds?

(I understand that they are probably concerned about running afoul of copyright law if they do too much with the screen-scraped results...)

Don't forget about Gmail, although there is (currently) no link from the Google home page.

• User profile image
    sbc

None are marked as beta on Google UK - although going to Google News indicates it is in beta. It is surprising that Google doesn't has Atom feeds for any of its services (except GMail). Google does Atom, Microsoft does RSS.

A Google beta tends to be several years (search was beta for a long time).

The fact is, search is always beta - it has to be modified to get around search engine spam (which is sometimes an issue on Google).

• User profile image
    MasterPi

If the services are in beta, then they really shouldn't be on the frontpage yet.

Come on, Froogle has been in beta for over a year now...

• User profile image
    scobleizer

A new beta: http://maps.google.com

But, to be serious, we do our beta stuff too.

Heck, you could make a good case that Windows 1.0 and 2.0 were betas. At least Google is being somewhat honest about it.

• User profile image
    Rossj

scobleizer wrote:
    A new beta: http://maps.google.com

But, to be serious, we do our beta stuff too.

Heck, you could make a good case that Windows 1.0 and 2.0 were betas. At least Google is being somewhat honest about it.

It certainly has in recent months (years?) started to become 'cool' to be beta, but it really does lessen the value of the term.

• User profile image
    androidi

In a small way I agree, but I'd just still rather have the CTP/Beta's now than something Final, but harldy perfect years later..

What comes to Google though, the term certainly seems to have had some inflation.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.