Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

So, this is what Google has been up to

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

The story here. OK, OK, so it's actually a retrospective from the year 2014, but it's still fun to imagine.

• User profile image
    jamie

minh - that is the coolest thing ive ever seen posted - thankyou!

i even hate "watching" stuff on the net - but it was VERY interesting

where is MS's view of this stuff?  - no - not the sales guys corporate mission stuff - same thing just like this - that honestly shows the ms agenda - as C9 does - in a fair light?

again minh - thanks for this post
    i love when people just think way out like that..
    to - tally -cool.

• User profile image
    jamie

Beer28 wrote:
    oh, i see, it ends in 2014, no pengiuns at all. Sad

thanks for the link.

um - the microsoft logo fades away - and if google and amazon go together - it wont be on MS servers

its Beer day!

• User profile image
    Minh

Yeah, I guess it's inevitable that the same consolidation other industries would go through would happen to the information management segment. I recently listened to a podcast titled "Interface: Jaron Lanier debates Will Wright" and Lanier joked that (paraphrasing) naming a compsci university building after Bill Gates is like naming a hospital wing after Typhoid Mary. This is the perception (rightly or wrongly) of academia out there, I think. And that "retrospective" reflects that. But I doubt if MS would remain on the sideline.

• User profile image
    rhm

GoogleZon. Do me a favour!

• User profile image
    lukes

That was great, made me think of how media will change in the future. I cant imagine seeing Microsoft sit on any sideline, theyd be in there and by the New York Times or some other huge news agency like reuters.

I liked the EPIC reflection, anyone else notice the 'PI' was reflected with pi?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

2015:  Bocephus Turl-Hurdler, a socially retarded, self professed Script-Kiddie figures out how to insert 'trivia spam' into the process, thereby ruining it for everyone.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

this reads like a wired magazine article
    god i hate these techno-revolutionaries who come up with these grand theories of how their software idea will change the world
    a lot of the assumptions are always naive

• User profile image
    dcw

I think a personalised news service is unneccessary. The majority of people will only want to read from one source, and will read the news headlines, local, and sports. A personalised google news bot will find the same news stories for its user as it does for 190 million other people.

For the *small* percentage of people who read blogs, I guess it could be useful, but I'm not sure how different it would be from an rss feed app.

Oh, and when I heard "googlezon" the story lost all credibility!

This reeks of a first year media studies university project - complete with technological ignorance ("algorithm..."), star-gazing, and a complete lack of perspective for anything outside the author's extremely narrow focus.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Heh, Google itself was kind of lucky that its name stuck.  I remember being slightly embarassed to tell people in management to 'Google' somthing.  It kind of sounded like I was 'speaking leet' to be cool. 

That said, people have be caught saying even dumber things with a straight face. 

Case in point, it used to be, you could 'finger' someone to check our their status.  The cuteness factor wore off pretty quick.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.