Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Gig is up

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sethgarrette

Your game is almost over Microsoft, SCO once again lost in a court room setting.  Your attempts at spreading FUD over the Linux name is over.  So go ahead and keep what few developers you have left.  All real development work is being done on Linux now anyway.You guys cant even keep your Anti-Spyware program from being hacked.  Give me one good reason anyone should keep your software in their server rooms.  A Linux servber takes months to hack, Windows Server 2003 can be hacked in 20 minutes.  Seems like the choice is obvious.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

sethgarrette wrote:
    Your game is almost over Microsoft, SCO once again lost in a court room setting.  Your attempts at spreading FUD over the Linux name is over..

Wait a second, you certainly mean also Sun Microsystems, right? I mean, the ones that are paying SCO's licenses, you mean all those companies, right?
    sethgarrette wrote:
    So go ahead and keep what few developers you have left.  All real development work is being done on Linux now anyway.

Ehehe... that's kind of funny Smiley
    sethgarrette wrote:
    You guys cant even keep your Anti-Spyware program from being hacked.

Really? Got any evidence of that?
    sethgarrette wrote:
    Give me one good reason anyone should keep your software in their server rooms.  A Linux servber takes months to hack, Windows Server 2003 can be hacked in 20 minutes.  Seems like the choice is obvious

Again, feel free to provide evidence, otherwise, let's chalk this post to another piece of FUD and zealotry.

• User profile image
    Rossj

sethgarrette wrote:
    Your game is almost over Microsoft, SCO once again lost in a court room setting.  Your attempts at spreading FUD over the Linux name is over.  So go ahead and keep what few developers you have left.  All real development work is being done on Linux now anyway.You guys cant even keep your Anti-Spyware program from being hacked.  Give me one good reason anyone should keep your software in their server rooms.  A Linux servber takes months to hack, Windows Server 2003 can be hacked in 20 minutes.  Seems like the choice is obvious.

Does your mommy know you are using the Internet?  This isn't advocacy and helps Linux not one bit, if you want to advocate Linux I suggest you read the Advocacy HowTo instead of posting randomly and re-inforcing the 'Linux is for kids' perception that people like you have generated.

I can't see Linus liking idiots posting lies and hlaf-truths on forums around the world. Think before you start trolling.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Beer28 wrote:
    You can't see a difference between paying licensing fees that can't be avoided and covertly sending them tens of millions of dollars for the purpose of going after linux?

Sun can't avoid to pays those fees?

Why?

It seems like Red Hat, Novell and IBM are perfectly fine without financing SCO antics, so why Sun can't avoid doing that?
    Beer28 wrote:
    They'll always have their outsourced labour. I'm crying over here, instead of having to compete with leagues of windows programmers in india that will happily work networked on kasamba for 16 cents an hour, I program linux, which not as many people know, esp people overseas with much less access to learning materials.

Well, maybe you should start worrying, as our India branch churns out perfectly good Unix software. And they don't have hypermassive egos or politics crap to deal with (I'm not talking about you beer28, just poking some fun at the various TLAs of the GNU/Linux world Smiley )
    Beer28 wrote:
    Poor me. I have to put up with dev environments like this

Yeah, I feel your pain. Eclipse is the most bloated IDE I have to use every day. Firing up VisualStudio is like a breath of fresh air (especially since you can't hold your breath while Eclipse starts, unless you have overdeveloped lungs or something)
    Beer28 wrote:
    It's every bit as good as it's MS counterparts.

Sorry, didn't you just finished to say how much better Linux development was? Now it's "as good as" Micro$oft crap? You should raise your standards...

• User profile image
    andokai

Man this kind of thing always reminds me of this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-06-30&res=l

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Looks like everybody can become a "Linux/UNIX consultant" these days.

• User profile image
    W3bbo
  • User profile image
    Aerodyne

sethgarrette wrote:
    A Linux servber takes months to hack, Windows Server 2003 can be hacked in 20 minutes.  Seems like the choice is obvious.

Whatever!!!
    But yes a server (any) can take some time to crack/hack [my inner self reply]but not by you or any wanabe wizkid.[/]
    Albeit the NSA are concidering SELinux ... but even that's not  secure... I'ts somthing like saying the Enigma (WW-II machine... do your reading) is flawless in those days.
    If we need in we get in Wink

Windows safer than linux!!!
    Hmmm ... not sure if this is a sure MS-Would-Say-That, but all in all OS are always open to hacks & improvements.
    There's no silver bullet here.

• User profile image
    paulo

Hack this www.microsoft.com in 20 minutes. Bye

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Beer28 wrote:
    paulo wrote: Hack this www.microsoft.com in 20 minutes. Bye

That was intelligent.

Please do not feed the trolls.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Did it in three minutes: http://www.microsoft.com/

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Well... admittantly, Microsoft does have a point about WS2003 only needing 15 or so updates so far

IMO, Windows will only be secure once RPC isn't the root requirement for virtually everything

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Two words for the parent post.

GROW UP

I use what I want.  I utilize both Sun Solaris and Windows.  I use Sun products where they make sense, I use Microsoft products where they make sense.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Totally agree with you rjdohnert on all counts.

The company I work for has Windows and Linux both playing a part.

Linux is the platform of choice for running our Oracle applications. Email via Lotus Domino, LDAP'ed so client can be Notes or Outlook. Connectivity via Biztalk. Applications and Web Server are Windows. Active Directory holding it all together.

The desktops seem to very much follow the current order of the days, Embedded XP running Citrix on these little beauties.

http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/nz_en/14_58_198_2996_PC540A.html

Yep, we don't give out PC's to our users anymore.

Dave

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo wrote:

There are so many other CAD-comics you can apply here:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2002-12-04

and

God hates fanboys

• User profile image
    Rocky Moore

sethgrarrette, if you hate Microsoft so bad and cannot stand Windows, why are you even on a Microsoft site such as Channel 9?

• User profile image
    sgarrette

Rocky Moore wrote:
    sethgrarrette, if you hate Microsoft so bad and cannot stand Windows, why are you even on a Microsoft site such as Channel 9?

Who said, I hate Microsoft or Windows.  I dont use the toy OS although it is good if you wanna play solitaire, Im just pointing out that real developers use Linux, people who want to build clusters and mainframes use Linux.  Windows may be adaquate but the pricing makes it prohibitive.  My beef with Microsoft is how they funded SCO and helped SCO create a campaign on lies and FUD.  Microsoft lost its little campaign and now they will have to compete fairly or is Microsoft  going to Launch its WMD's that they acquired through the patent system.  Either way, Linux has proven its strong, more reliable, hacker proof and just a better alternative.  At the rate of growth of Linux on the desktop I give MS about, a few months before we get 50% Windows, 50% Linux.

• User profile image
    Rossj

sgarrette wrote:
    Im just pointing out that real developers use Linux, people who want to build clusters and mainframes use Linux.

Don't be a troll.

sgarrette wrote:
      My beef with Microsoft is how they funded SCO and helped SCO create a campaign on lies and FUD.

But you have no objection to spreading FUD and lies with that quote right there.  You know you have to have some sort of evidence before you spout off accussations like that, got any?

sgarrette wrote:
    At the rate of growth of Linux on the desktop I give MS about, a few months before we get 50% Windows, 50% Linux.

Any tiny amount of credibility you may have had just flew out of the Window. Linux has been 'taking the desktop by storm' for over a year and has not got anywhere near 50%, I would guess at something closer to .5%

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.