Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Novell SUSE Linux

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Custard555

Has anyone used Novell SUSE Linux?

I’m trying it out now and I think its alright, but one thing I can’t do is open any Microsoft Windows network shares, I’m not really good at Linux but other versions of Linux presented me with a user name and password box and then I was allowed in after I have filled out with my windows account.

But Novell Linux just gives me a message saying “the folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of Windows Network”

But the thing is, it doesn’t ask me for any user name or password at any point!

Can anyone help?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Custard555 wrote:

Has anyone used Novell SUSE Linux?

I’m trying it out now and I think its alright, but one thing I can’t do is open any Microsoft Windows network shares, I’m not really good at Linux but other versions of Linux presented me with a user name and password box and then I was allowed in after I have filled out with my windows account.

But Novell Linux just gives me a message saying “the folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of Windows Network”

But the thing is, it doesn’t ask me for any user name or password at any point!

Can anyone help?

Are the shares on a Win2k machine? Are you in a domain?
    Does this describe your problem accurately?

• User profile image
    Aerodyne

I prefer SUSE LINUX above all the other linux distro's... so I hope they continue with there good effort.

Try this , this & this other wise check out the linux forums.

But the basics are...
    -Make sure you have Samba
    -@ the shell prompt type:
    smbclient -U administrator -L IPof.YOUR.SYSTEM.HERE
    see if your windows shared drive appears in the list.
    open either konquerer type the IP addr then you'll be asked for usr name and pwd.

HTH

• User profile image
    CPrest

Ahh the MS network shares problem. I have seen alot of this recenlty. I remember seeing an RPM package available to fix your problem.

Anyhow, you may want to check out irc.freenode.net #SUSE or #LINUX

they can help you in real time.

I do some Linux kernel coding so if you need some help on anything else let me know.

Check YAST carefully, it may have had an updated package for you.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.