Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

IE 7 will stand alone!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Charles

Microsoft today is committing to deliver a new version of Internet Explorer for Windows XP customers.  This version, called IE 7, will add new levels of security to Windows XP SP2 while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility customers have come to expect from IE.

IE 7 will build on and broaden the progress made in XP SP 2, while putting in place even stronger defenses against phishing, malware and spyware.  A beta version of IE 7 will be available this summer with the final version shipping once IE 7 meets the quality standards our customers demand. 

IE 7 will stand alone! You spoke. We listened.

Be sure to check out the IE team blog for details.

Yay!

• GurliGebis

Does this mean we will finally get PNGs working and tabs? Smiley

• TDude

If IE7 will have the whole look and feel of Avant Browser, I'm fully with it!

Spread IE Wink)

• Tyler Brown

Well its good to hear that Microsoft is going to be releasing an update to Internet Explorer before Longhorn. If they hadn't have done so, I believe that alternative browsers would have picked up quick a few market share percentage points. I'm eager to give it a try!

• Tom Servo

I just read security everywhere. What about the rendering engine?

• samrolken

Please include support for alpha-channel transparency in PNG images!

• Manip

Keep those loading times down! 

(This version's loading times are fine, keep it that way - don't go the way of firefox)

• Yggdrasil

samrolken wrote:
    Please include support for alpha-channel transparency in PNG images!

I shouldn't be C9'ing after midnight. I saw this and thought "What conspiracy channels?".

• fdezjose

Finally some Great News from IE! Can't wait for the beta!

• compugab

Very good news.

Congrat. all

• GurliGebis

Yggdrasil wrote:
    I shouldn't be C9'ing after midnight. I saw this and thought "What conspiracy channels?".

LOL, I almost fell of my chair ... keep it comming Smiley

• Shining Arcanine

Can we expect standards mode (e.g. HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0 Transitional/Strict, XHTML 1.1, CSS 1, CSS 2.1 and so on) to work properly and PNG and P3P support fixed in IE7 or will we have to wait until IE8?

Can we expect support for new standards (e.g. SVG, MathML and so on)?

• NeoTOM

Tabs? Will we finally be able to tell the rest of the browsermonkeys to STFU?

• MisterDonut

Will this be a 'catch-up' release? Or will IE7 match and beat (in terms of features) other browsers out there? If people have switched away from IE, then why would they switch back simply because IE has finally caught up?

• Tom Servo

Another wish: JPEG2000 support.

• JohnF

With so many of the core parts of Longhorn Indigo, Avalon and IE7 becoming available for Windows XP and WinFS being dropped completely will Longhorn be a much less important release? More link  Windows 98 to Windows 95?

Is Microsoft releasing these technologies to keep an upper hand over linux on the desktop?

• matt0210

Charles wrote:
    ...while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility customers have come to expect from IE. ...

Why does this bother me. What I've come to expect of IE since it's glory days is absolute rubbish! In the days of Netscape 4.7 and IE 5 the choice was clear. But ever since MS killed Netscape they've stopped development on IE. They've ridden out their monopolistic stance and feel like it's time to throw a tiny little bit of bait at the big companies wanting to switch. Even just a new spash screen an version number will be enough for most admins to keep IE instead of dumping it.
    Good strategy, but I don't see a real benefit until Longhorn. A redesign is neccesary since IE is part of the OS, if we can really believe that...

• ngb

why do so many people want tabs? isnt that what the taskbar is? why do we want two taskbars?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.